Explore
Communities in English
Advertise on Engormix

Reduction of bird heat stress. M. Czarick (University of Georgia)

Published: April 19, 2012
Dr. Mike Czarick, Senior Public Service Associate at University of Georgia, discusses the principles of keeping birds cold during hot weather during the XXII Latin American Poultry Congress, August 2011.
Related topics
Authors:
Mike Czarick
University of Georgia
Influencers who recommended :
Danial Farhadi
Recommend
Comment
Ing. Dragan Ionut
6 de julio de 2017

Thank you.
One of the best presentation about poultry ventilation
Congratulation for your work.

Recommend
Md. Hamim Uddin
19 de mayo de 2018

Dear sir,

Fan run by airspeed basis or temperature basis in broiler houses explain which one best and why?

Recommend
Mike Czarick
University of Georgia
22 de mayo de 2018
Tunnel fans need to be operated based on both air temperature and speed. Primarily fans are operated off of temperature than possibly increased based on the birds reactions...for example panting.
Recommend
sunil kumar
30 de mayo de 2018
Yes, how to reduced body temperature after heat stock of laying bird, because 42 - 45 degrees temperature bird not response any medicine which are use to control heat stocks.
Recommend
Dr zeeshan awan
3 de junio de 2018
sunil kumar Vitamin C. And bicarbonates are effective in control of heat stress.
Recommend
Dr. Mohammed AL-Derbi
30 de mayo de 2018
We have a broiler farm using tunnel ventilation and evaporative cooling system. We operate fans and air speed according to the age and inner climate conditions. We belive that the enthalpy in the house which counts at the end of the day. The birds do not suffer from heat stress if all climate parameters under control.
Recommend
Dr. M.Mazhar Khan
K&N´s
31 de mayo de 2018

Our company have around 45 farms through out Pakistan having different climatic condition.

We have three major thing in mind. Temperature, humidity, & density of birds according to the age.
1-Temperature according to age we can maintain through wind speed, Cooling pads thickness,
number of pads according to requirement & flute angle of pas 45x45 or 45x15, water flow on cooling pads.
2- High Humidity in coastal areas. Here the temperature is important but most important is exchange of total air volume of house as soon as possible that 0.5 to 0,minutes. As if the out side humidity is 80% inside the humidity will be very high.so, we need to expel this air as soon as possible as early you remove the air birds will be comfortable.
Density. In hot & humid areas density of birds play very important roll in these area we have to increase the space per bird at a maximum level it will reduce the temperature as.well as humidity it will reduce the panting & suffocation.It is a very wide subject we can discuss it one by one some other time.Now there are so many types of environmental control devices even you can feed int the whole life of birds environmental requirement it will control according to birds requirement automatically.

Thank you for your valuable time.

Recommend
Dr. Mohammad Akram
31 de mayo de 2018

It is a nice knowledgeable presentation on control of heat stress.
Ref. to Dr. Danny Hooge's article on the same subject, use of 0.4 to 0.5% Sodium Bicarbonate.
(NaHCo3) in feed can be helpful to control the Respiratory Alkalosis and reduce the losses during high heat time.
I have applied this recommendation in many farms of broilers, particularly naturally ventilated houses and got good results.
Kindly let me know your opinion on this issue, in addition to your recommendations on managemental factors.

Best regards,
Dr. M. Akram, Consultant Microbiologist, Micro Lab. Karachi Pakistan.

Recommend
ADAJI JONAH UNEKWUbonbodo
1 de junio de 2018
Dr. Mohammad Akram thanks for your advice, I will try it on my farm in Nigeria!
Recommend
Edet Edem Okon
1 de junio de 2018
Dr. Mohammad Akram ,thank you for your contribution I will try it in my farm. I really appreciate you so much thank.
Recommend
Nwose Roseline Nwuguru
1 de junio de 2018
Dr. Mohammad Akram Hi, your recommendation is Ok.. The research I just concluded two months ago using naturally well ventilated houses gave a very good result. I strongly support your recommendations. Warmest regards, Nwose Roseline Bwuguru, Animal Nutrition and Forage Science (FUNAI) Ebnyi State, Nigeria.
Recommend
Modawy Abdelgader
1 de junio de 2018
Hello Dr M akram Thank you for your comments I want your email
Recommend
Dr Abdulla Ahmad tahir
2 de junio de 2018
Yes Dr sb we using up-to 0.25 Nahco3 percent in feed with 0.2 Nacl.
Recommend
Dr Abdulla Ahmad tahir
2 de junio de 2018
Bataine is must to reduce heat stress
Recommend
Dr zeeshan awan
3 de junio de 2018
Dr Abdulla Ahmad tahir Betaine is seen to be effected in weight gain not in reducing heat stress.
Recommend
Dr Piotr Stanislawski
dsm-firmenich
12 de junio de 2018
Dr zeeshan awan what about the osmoprotection with betaine? weight gain -this is the result of methionine sparring; can replace 15-20% dietary Meth. I usually advice betaine as osmoregulator for heat stress period.
Recommend
Dr. Fiodor S. Marchenkov
Kronos -Agro private company
13 de junio de 2018
Dear Dr.Zeeshan, betaine is natural osmolyte substance. It hold the water inside the cells. Paralelly betaine reduced fat content and increased meat content in broilers. Saudi Arabia poultry farms use betain against heat stress in high doses, till 2 kg/tonn of feed, according to recommendations of Danisco Animal Nutrition/DuPont Biotechnologies. Of course, other methods against heat stress, like sodium bicarbonate and vitamin C is reason to run paralelly, for better results. And effective ventilation/humidity, to reduce temperature, too.
Recommend
Kausar Shaikh
20 de junio de 2018
Dr. Fiodor S. Marchenko Betaine quality matters in Asian Markets as most of the farmers are not educated and prefers cost comparing as cheap China products are on shelves . Difference between Betaine if any should be highlighted
Recommend
Goh Geng Hua
20 de junio de 2018
Kausar Shaikh hi is it china betaine anhydrous got different mechanism of process Which cost is less effective? as i am using betaine hcl in my feed . Thank for comment
Recommend
Ana Gavrӑu
AGRANA GROUP
22 de junio de 2018
Dear Goh Geng Hua , I was refering on natural betaine, from sugar beet molasses. The main differences, between natural and synthetic betaine are the content on chloride (Cl) and on trimethylamines (TMA). High Cl levels have negative impact on the osmolytic function of betaine, and high TMA levels can confer a "fishy-taint" to the end-products. Furthermore, EFSA recognized high TMA levels as being corrosive to the eye, to the skin, and irritant to the respiratory tract (published in the EFSA Journal 2012). Therefore can lead to discomfort which can affect directly the production efficiency. I can only advise you to check the TMA level in your Betaine HCl product, this shouldn’t exceed 200ppm/ kg. Thank you for all valuable information, thank you Dr. Mike Czarick for the very interesting and informative video presentation, and for the feedbacks on my contribution. Sincerely, Ana Gavrau
Recommend
Salah El Safty
2 de junio de 2018
Thanks my colleagues for your valuable information and I suggest that you can use Vitamin C in water and using cold water also at same time in open houses beside soudium bicarbonate in feed. In broilers, you have to remove the feed during hot hours (almost from 10 am to 4 pm) to reduce bird’s stress due to heat increment (due to digestion and metabolism). Regards S A Elsafty Prof. of Poultry Production Ain Shams Univ. Egypt
Recommend
Emad Elgazzar
AL WADI POULTRY FARMS COMPANY
3 de junio de 2018
Salah El Safty Excellent solutions to decrease the effect of heat &heat stress beside we have to decrease oils content of feed during that periods
Recommend
Joe Stanyer
Farmer Joe Group
19 de junio de 2018
Emad Elgazzar WHY DECREASE OIL CONTENT? Oils have a lower Heat Increment than both proteins and carbohydrates. They also facilitate production of a denser ration, which can compensate for reduced feed intake.
Recommend
Hakeem IBRAHIM
20 de junio de 2018
Joe Stanyer Please, note that, end product of oil metabolism is carbohydrates. Metabolic heat is also produced during digestion of oil. Thanks
Recommend
Nizar Mahmoud
Orffa Excentials
20 de junio de 2018
Joe Stanyer also, fat metabolism results in water molecule which helps the birds to reduce its body temperature
Recommend
Dr zeeshan awan
3 de junio de 2018
Use vitamin C, bicarbonates in water. Cut down high protein diet in day time. Proper ventilation. Respiratory soothing agents like eucalyptus oil, peppermint, menthol should be given in day time.
Recommend
 Pranjal Pranbindu Kalita
4 de junio de 2018

Heat stress results in respiratory alkalosis leading to excessive loss of Carbon dioxide due to open mouth breathing. CO2 released comes from two sources 1) breakdown of Carbonic acid and 2) Oxidation of simple sugar (glucose).
Carbonic acid breakdown can be compensated with addition of Sodi bicarb.
Dietary electrolyte balancing will involve optimal addition of salt so that value for Sodium and Chloride correspond the Potassium balance. DEB should be within 170 -250.
Protein catabolism will result in more serious effect, therefore, reduce CP % by 0.5-1%.
Addition of Vit C with osmoregulator will reduce dehydration provided there is continuous cool drinking water supply.

Recommend
Dr Abdulla Ahmad tahir
14 de junio de 2018
Pranjal Pranbindu Kalita it's huge range deb so specify more accurate figure and is sodium 0.4 enough both from Nacl and nahco3
Recommend
Eduardo Marcuello Pérez
Livisto
5 de junio de 2018
Dear all, apart from adittion of Vitamin C, and bicarbonate already mentioned, it is important birds affected by heat stress don't dehydrate and restore the electrolytic balance. This can be done with the addition in water also of Betaine combined with electrolytes. By this way as betaine is an osmolyte, we can increase water consumption with electrolytes but at the same time retaining water in the animal. Is is also a good option. Best regards.
Recommend
Dr. Fiodor S. Marchenkov
Kronos -Agro private company
13 de junio de 2018
Dear Eduardo, I'm absolutely agree with you. Betaine is excellent osmoprotector, increasing the convenient temperature range for chickens. Betaine prevent cells dehydration.
Recommend
Dr Abdulla Ahmad tahir
14 de junio de 2018
Eduardo Marcuello Nice
Recommend
Roberto L Rosales
5 de junio de 2018
Thank you so much gentlemen for all your comments and contributions to reduce heat stress on broilers especially during summer time. Indeed, i find your recommendations helpful and will definitely, result to better health of the broilers and better percentage of harvest recovery. Again, my profound thanks.
Recommend
Yusuf Konca
12 de junio de 2018
Heat stress term has been using when the environmental temperature reached up to 28 C. However, some researchers claimed that the environmental temperature lower than 25 C in night and poultry consume enough feed the effects of heat stress may compensate, in contrast to this daytime and night, high temperature may cause heat stress. Some research results also showed that in the hatchery and early life of chicks exposed to a high temperature they may increase the ability to stand to heat stress. Nowadays, broilers growing very fast in a short period about 38 to 42 d. Therefore for broilers, low feed consumption due to heat stress is very important to reach a good BWG for the market. However, laying hens and turkey poults more resistant against to heat stress. Vitamin C in feed and water commonly using for heat stress. However, there are many researches, if no real heat stress, vit C addition to diets is not working and no effectiveness. We should know animals exposure up to 28 C whole day and frequent breathing, low feed consumption and other behaviors. We should consider heat stress and humidity too. In high humidity together high temperature the animal performance and mortality will increase.
Recommend
Miroslav Besermenji
16 de junio de 2018

Yusuf Konca Why consider temperature only?

Recommend
Yusuf Konca
17 de junio de 2018
Dear Miroslav Besermenji we can mention it many aspect, not only temperature
Recommend
Anjum Khalique
18 de junio de 2018
Yusuf Konca Better ventilation is the right solution.
Recommend
Hakeem IBRAHIM
20 de junio de 2018
Anjum Khalique Right! Heat stress or effects are not common in all ventilation control sealed houses or shed. Thank you!
Recommend
Asad Ur Rehman
26 de junio de 2018

You are right but in some areas of Pakistan, we can only reduce the temperature to 29-30 C with maximum possible ventilation. In this situation, we have to look for the alternatives to combat heat stress.

Recommend
MAHABUB RAHAMAN
13 de junio de 2018
DR.M AKRAM SIR THANK YOU.
Recommend
Dr Charles Ibe
13 de junio de 2018

Under respiratory alkalosis, there is poor calcium metabolism leading to poor shell formation.
The best way to tackle heat stress is to apply cooling strategies like cold water during the heat hours and external cooling effect like fans, water foggers etc. Betaine, Bicarbonates and Vitamin C works within thermoneutral zone. ExternalTemperatures above thermoneutral zones leads to deaths. Decongesting the birds help a lot. Broilers in cages and deep litters are worst hit. Commercial layers survive best in deep litters than in cages. The only problem they have is low performance because of low feed consumption. Here I suggest a deep litter decongesting pen during the heat months. In Nigeria, heat period are from late February to middle May. White coloured layers better survive heat stress. Brown and black heavyweight layers are vulnerable. Black ones are worst vulnerable. The best is the light breed of layers especially the white ones.

Recommend
Aminu Ali Dambatta
25 de junio de 2018
Dr Charles Ibe, what a convincing contribution.
Recommend
Nyunt Shwe
13 de junio de 2018

Very good explanation.

Recommend
Nyunt Shwe
13 de junio de 2018

I really appreciate it.

Recommend
Profile picture
Would you like to discuss another topic? Create a new post to engage with experts in the community.
Join Engormix and be part of the largest agribusiness social network in the world.