Explore
Communities in English
Advertise on Engormix

Herbal methionine in broilers - Woo Kyun Kim

Published: March 12, 2018
Woo Kyun Kim (University of Georgia) discussed a recent research on supplementing herbal methionine through feed and water, during IPPE 2018 in Atlanta, USA.
Related topics
Authors:
Dr. Woo Kyun Kim
University of Georgia
Follow
Join to be able to comment.
Once you join Engormix, you will be able to participate in all content and forums.
* Required information
Would you like to discuss another topic? Create a new post to engage with experts in the community.
Create a post
Celso Castilho
Himalaya
19 de marzo de 2018
Thank you Dr. Kim for sharing your thoughts on this topic. Herbal formulations have been successfully used in replacement or even working in combination with chemicals active ingredients. In many cases, herbals are able to keep the same performance as the chemicals with the benefit of being natural: good for both, animals and humans. The important aspect in herbals is the quality of the supplier, which will be certainly carefully verified by the industry.
S. M. A. Halim
20 de marzo de 2018
Celso Castilho In Bangladesh broiler FCR 1.35 to 1.45 due to addition high nutritional broiler feed. We are used DL-Methionine and L-Lysine source Evonick and Ajinomoto. Is it possible make the same results using herbal Methionine and Lysine substitute of DL-Methionine and L-Lysine.
Celso Castilho
Himalaya
20 de marzo de 2018
S. M. A. Halim Thank you for your comments. In fact, that is an impressive performance in broilers. In Brazil, we have gotten FCR 1.51 (after 42 days cycle). We replaced DL-Methionine 1:1; L-Lysine was used as well. Ratio per Ton of feed as per below: Pre-start phase: Him-Methio 3.77 kg/ L-Lisyne 2.72 kg Start phase: Him-Methio 3.21 kg/ L-Lysine 2.53 kg Growth phase: Him-Methio 2.66 kg/ L-Lysine 1.84 kg Finish phase: Him-Methio 2.31 kg/ L-Lysine 1.94 kg I would challenge your current performance, starting replacing DL-Methione 50/50 with natural Methionine resource, and increase the ratio based on the results. L-Lysine would be kept as used. Regards, Celso
Miguel A Pérez
AdiNature
2 de mayo de 2018
Celso Castilho correct me if I am wrong, please. At the moment there is not 100% replacer of DL-MET, as you have said, best combination is 50% DL-MET + 50 % Natural Met. That will improve a lot results in Broilers and Swine. Lysine and Choline can be replacer with 100% efectivity by Natural Sources. Looking forward hear from you soon. Best Regards, Miguel.
Bhaskar Ganguly
Ayurvet Ltd.
13 de septiembre de 2018
S. M. A. Halim You may conveniently replace 50% of DL-Methionine with the product that Dr. Woo Kyun Kim is referring to i.e. Methiorep (M/s Ayurvet Limited, India).
Dr. Fiodor S. Marchenkov
Kronos -Agro private company
12 de septiembre de 2019
S. M. A. Halim Dear Mr.Halim, I'm absolutely agree with you. But it's necessary to keep in mind that we can substitute with the herbal methionine approx. 50% of total added methionine. The rest of methionine any case is necessary to add in chemical form. FCR =1.35 in Bangladesh broilers is excellent result, my best congratulations!
Samiru Sudharaka
USDA - United States Department of Agriculture
19 de marzo de 2018
Dr. Kim Thank you ! interesting topic !!
Roger Tague
Africa Business Solutions
10 de septiembre de 2018
Thank you Dr Woo Kyun Kim for an interesting topic, now where do we find Herbal Methionine?
Export
Natural Remedies Private Limited
10 de septiembre de 2018
Roger Tague Natural Remedies, India has this product. Kindly send an email to ganesh.s@naturalremedy.com
Roger Tague
Africa Business Solutions
10 de septiembre de 2018
Alphafacts Health Solutions BVBA Dear Sir, just wanted to know if this solution is already in use in Africa
Bhaskar Ganguly
Ayurvet Ltd.
13 de septiembre de 2018
Roger Tague The herbal methionine-replacer being referred to by Dr. Woo Kyun Kim is Methiorep (M/s Ayurvet Limited, India).
Begerano Albert
Agrited
4 de marzo de 2019
Roger Tague In Nigeria, Sold By Diversay Solution, Source India
Dr P Bhardwaj
10 de septiembre de 2018
Herbal methionine is very effective when we replace it at level of 50 percent. For example if you are using 2 kg of synthetic methionine than you can replace 1 kg of that with herbal methionine and can keep 1 kg as synthetic. There are many trials done with this level and the performance observed was higher than even when compare to 100 % DLM in formulation of poultry.
Maha M. Hady
10 de septiembre de 2018
Dear Sir can you post more information on herbal methionine for poultry. Thanks
Bayram Koc
Polimed Pharmaceuticals
10 de septiembre de 2018
Dear Dr Kyun May I have brief information about mode of action of herbal metiyonine.How can it stimulate metionine syntesis in liver Best regards
Bhaskar Ganguly
Ayurvet Ltd.
13 de septiembre de 2018
BAYRAM KOC The product being referred to by Dr. Kim is Methiorep (M/s Ayurvet Limited, India). The product is a herbal replacer for chemical methionine. You surely know how we can use artificial sweeteners to reduce our requirement of sugar. You see, sugars have two different functions, that of providing energy and making food sweet to taste. When one wants to make food taste sweeter without gaining calories, one opts for artificial sweeteners. Artificial sweeteners are not sugars and only mimic a particular function of sugars i.e. sweetness, thereby reducing our dependence on sugars. Very similarly, the ingredients of Methiorep mimic the functions of methionine within the animal’s body to reduce its dependence on dietary methionine to an extent that much lesser or no supplementation with DLM is required. The added advantage here is that whilst artificial sweeteners are, often, chemical alternatives for naturally-occurring sugars, Methiorep is a natural alternative for chemically-produced DLM. Another added advantage is that Methiorep addresses many different functions of methionine (as compared to just one ‘sweetness’ function by artificial sweeteners).
Bayram Koc
Polimed Pharmaceuticals
13 de septiembre de 2018

Dear Sir
Methionine is essential amino acide and directly affected production parameter like egg production and body weight gain. So I could not understand how to correlate with artificial sweetener.

Lakshmanan Manickam
10 de septiembre de 2018
Please share the herbal ingredients in the formulation
Alberto Kalaw
10 de septiembre de 2018
During the trial, is there some stress challenged or the temperature is very hot?
Dr. Amit Kumar Pandey
Ayurvet Ltd.
11 de septiembre de 2018

Dear Dr. Woo Kyun Kim, Thanks for your views and sharing the performance report of herbal methionine.

we all know the opting organic/ herbal solutions for animal farming is the key for safe, sustainable and environment-friendly animal products and profit.

when we are talking about herbal methionine, Ayurvet is having a proven and efficacious solution named "Methiorep". Dr. Woo Kyun Kim himself did trials for the efficacy evaluation of Methiorep. He compared the results of herbal methionine both in feed and water of the broiler chicken.
The replacement of DL-methionine with Methiorep (herbal methionine) at 40% level shows an equal or even better result in obtaining better body weight and FCR than 100% DL-methionine supplemented group.
40% Methiorep inclusion group also show better retention of macronutrients like calcium and potassium and Phosphorus in the body.

Dr. Amit Kumar Pandey
Ayurvet Ltd.
11 de septiembre de 2018
Dear Roger Tague, Methiorep is a herbal solution and uses as a partial replacement (40%) of DL-Methionine.
Aliyu Elayo
12 de septiembre de 2018
Thank you Dr for this useful information
ELYES ALLAGUI
18 de septiembre de 2018

Thank you, Dr., for this useful information, we need more trials if you have, please. 

Miguel A Pérez
AdiNature
20 de septiembre de 2018

Hi All,

I know that my comment can create controversy and rejection but in my humble opinion a protein replacer is always better than DL-Met or Herbal Met.

Thoughts?

Hamid Ibrahim Ismail
3 de marzo de 2019

Thank you Dr. Kyun Kim for this focal point on the utilization of herbal methionine and other herbs product as a replacer of synthetic products eg synthetic DL. Methionine in poultry nutrition
here, I gladly like to share information with others; I and workers at Animal Production Research Centre (Kuku) carried out two different experiment on the year 1914. At that time the price of DL-Methionine became very high for poultry farmers in Sudan and they look for a cheaper source. We bought this product and did our reaches, later we got the information from where it comes.
This herbal methionine called (Phytonin) was imported by a Sudanese Co. (Almaha limited Co.) from Indian company (Natural Remedies).
Information about its effect on broiler or layer performance you can obtained it from the following published articles.

Ibrahim I. Hamid (2014) Investigations into the addition of herbal methionine (Phytonin) as a substitute of synthetic methionine in poultry feeds. 1-Effect of herbal methionine (Phytonin) Supplementation on performance and egg quality of laying hens. International Journal of Poultry Science. 13 (8): 480-483 .http://www.pjbs.org/ijps/ijps.htm.
Ibrahim I. Hamid (2014) Investigations into the addition of herbal methionine (Phytonin) as a substitute of synthetic methionine in poultry feeds. 2-Effect of herbal methionine (Phytonin) Supplementation on performance and carcass characteristics of broiler chicks. International Journal of Poultry Science, 13 (8): 484-488.http://www.pjbs. org/ijps/ijps.htm

Alagbe olujimi John
4 de marzo de 2019
Excellent work
Gabriel Sanchez
Biofeed Internacional
3 de marzo de 2019
Very interesting. I want to know more information about this topic. Can you send me any links?
MARZAN HEALTHCARE
Marzan Healt
4 de marzo de 2019
Equally interested,plz give details of herbal dl-methionine,composition/dose in broiler feed etc ar sardar
Dr. Md. Robiul Islam (dvm)
4 de marzo de 2019
How about Meth + of Liptosa , Spain ?
Shady A. Khalil
Shady A. Khalil
4 de marzo de 2019
I really surprised about how do Herbal methionine can replace DL-Met by 50%. We analyzed herbal methionine and there was no methionine at all. We did dose response trial on herbal methionine and even no 0.00001% improvement in broiler performance. Please be concise and scientific as possible. The only way to evaluate your product is ( dose response trial compared to DL-Met supplementation). and you will find really Zero response. You may search for the health benefits of your (Herbal Product) rather than growth performance as other herbal supplementation do. Please accept my comment and if you have any scientific evidence please share it for discussion.
SYED MD. ANWAR UL ISLAM
10 de marzo de 2019
Shady A. Khalil , I do highly agree with you. Thanks
Park W. Waldroup
University of Arkansas (USA)
4 de marzo de 2019

We have published research on herbal met the correct way with dose-response and found no met activity.

Youssef Attia
5 de marzo de 2019
It us very useful in organic farming
Park W. Waldroup
University of Arkansas (USA)
5 de marzo de 2019

Youssef Attia doesn’t help if it doesn’t work. DL-methionine allowed in organic production in USA.

Alireza rostamkhani
10 de abril de 2020

Dear Dr. Park W. Waldroup.
MHA how much activity in broiler? 65-70% corrected?

Join Engormix and be part of the largest agribusiness social network in the world.
LoginRegister