Explore
Communities in English
Advertise on Engormix

Efficacy evaluation of topical herbal spray in subclinical Mastitis

Published: June 18, 2018
Summary
In today’s world safe and wholesome milk production is a challenge for the farmers with increasing incidences of different types of diseases and emergence of new and resistant pathogens due to indiscriminate and unjustified uses of antibiotics/ antimicrobials. When we are talking about the prevalent diseases Mastitis one of the major disease which cause trouble not only to animals and farme...
Related topics
Authors:
Dr. Amit Kumar Pandey
Ayurvet Ltd.
Follow
Praful Kumar
Follow
Influencers who recommended :
Dr. Amit Kumar Pandey
Join to be able to comment.
Once you join Engormix, you will be able to participate in all content and forums.
* Required information
Would you like to discuss another topic? Create a new post to engage with experts in the community.
Create a post
ZHANG QUANYOU
25 de julio de 2018

Thank you. I use ozone to treat mastitis, like herb.

Sharma Madan Lal
26 de julio de 2018

ZHANG QUANYOU - Pl guide how to use Ozone to control mastitis?

Valentin Nenov
Phileo by Lesaffre
30 de julio de 2018
ZHANG QUANYOU that is a good technique but requires ozone generator and quite of experience.
Valentin Nenov
Phileo by Lesaffre
30 de julio de 2018

Sharma Madan Lal Sharma Madan Lal Hi, ozone treatment of mastitis is practical only in large herds and you need an ozone generator and experience to dose it correctly. You don’t want to administer too much to avoid tissue damage. Also, you should be aware of what type of mastitis you are dealing with. The studies showed good response to staph. aureus mastitis but no response to E. coli mastitis.

Dr Prashanth T
21 de noviembre de 2019
ZHANG QUANYOU Can you share your research experience in treating mastitis with ozone 1. Dose of ozone per quarter 2. Volume of ozone gas to be admistried 3. Frequency
Dr. Amit Kumar Pandey
Ayurvet Ltd.
27 de julio de 2018

Prof. Gaber,

The diagnosis of mastitis or sub-clinical mastitis is very important to prevent it to reach the clinical stage. We have developed a very handy kit which can be easily used in field condition also. It is named as Mastrip. this is a pH indicator test based on bromothymol blue. It detects changes in the pH value in milk. Usually, in mastitis the concentration of lactose and casein in the milk is reduced whereas sodium chloride and sodium bicarbonate pass into the alveoli from plasma to maintain isotonicity, Therefore, during such situations milk becomes alkaline with greater amount of chlorides. this method based on the increased alkalinity of the milk to detect the early stage of Mastitis. Sensitivity of the bromothymol blue test ranged from 51 to 56% and specificity from 89 to 90%.

Dr. Abdul as we know that teat canal plays the important role for entry of microbes to cause infection so you are only saying about blocking the teat canal but why we are forgetting the role of body or udder immunity also to the guard the body or udder from organism. Actually, just after at the beginning of dry period the Phagocytes are involved in removal of secretory cell products (fat, casein), and are not particularly efficient at removing bacteria. Several defense mechanisms are compromised during colostrum formation which predisposes the gland to mastitis.

In early lactation, the cow is metabolically stressed which act as predisposing factor for mastitis.there are many many which also affect the ability of mammary gland to resist infection.
some PMN leukocytes will ingest bacteria but not kill them, thereby protecting the bacteria from further destruction and providing a source of chronic infection.
Components in milk lipids and the whey fraction of milk may block immunoglobulin receptors (Fc receptors) on the leukocytes.
Cows in the periparturient period or cows with vitamin E or selenium deficiency have decreased ability of PMN leukocytes to phagocyte or kill bacteria.
so guarding immunity should not be forgotten. Moreover, microbes enter the mammary gland through the teat canal, similarly, form that canal the herbal solution also reaches the mammary gland, inflammation also increase the permeability of the active ingredients of the herbs to reach the infection site to cause antibacterial effect.
Moreover, providing the symptomatic relief to the teat of the cow is also important for quick recovery. Mastilep is the unique herbal formulation with many activities like anti-microbial, anti-inflammatory, analgesic, antioxidant, anti-fungal, spasmolytic etc. it has better penetration and spreadability.

It is very reputed products with proven efficacy and is not only used in India but in countries like Vietnam, Japan, Hungary, Poland etc.

Jasmer Singh
13 de agosto de 2018
Dr. AMit Kumar Pandey The article is of great interest having so much of efficacy of a gel against mastitis-the world's most baffling economic problem. GREAT! Anyway I would like to have some data on the efficacy of this Gel preparation (MSTILEP) against mastitis in dairy animals probably cows or may be some buffaloes in the countries you mentioned like Japan, Vietnam, Hungary etc. Jasmer singh
Lorenzo Quesnel
Perry Brook Dairy Farm
13 de agosto de 2018
Jasmer Singh Do you have a brochure for this good product (Mastilep)
Oketayot Joseph
22 de agosto de 2018
Confirmatory test for subclinical mastitis is the most important. Mastrip test and CMT, which of the 2 is best? I have not used mastrip, can you elaborate more?
Viswanatha Reddy
23 de septiembre de 2019
Oketayot Joseph From the Internet information CMT or Mastcct (Indian Immunoogicals) or Mastrip (Ayur vet) pH paper results are same. Both the pH papers will have Bromothymol blue indicator impregnated. At pH 6.0 the colour is yellow at 6.4 pH above pH papers change to light green colour. At pH 6.8 the paper will be dark green and at pH 7.5 the paper will turn into blue colour.
Bijaya Kumar Mahapatra
Ashish Life Science
29 de julio de 2018

Of course sub clinical mastitis diagnosis is cumbersome process. Anyway, any rational explanation on efficacy of Mastilep to alleviate the mastitic condition in cow.

Dr Mukesh Sharma
Indian Broilor Group
31 de julio de 2018

Yes, this is very crucial to diagnose subclinical mastitis and its causative organism, preventing the infection to get in through teat canal, teat plugging may helpful, but descending infection which comes through body is a major challenge, which can only prevent by hygienic environment, good quality bedding, high level of nutrition especially in dry phase, which is always compromised in small dairy in India, I saw many farms have minimum nutrition level in dry phase, some of them don't even feed any mineral and vitamin during this phase, a good transition ration with high level of vit E and Se can prevent postpartum or fresh cow mastitis. Mastitis is a managemental syndrome, not a single disease.

Bijaya Kumar Mahapatra
Ashish Life Science
4 de enero de 2019
I agree to your view point. But descending infections in mastitis is not much frequented. Ascending infections are the major challenge.
Abdul Qader Samsor
2 de agosto de 2018

Dear colleagues, diagnosis of subclinical mastitis in cattle is very crucial, environmental hygiene, body immunity and availability of VAX in teat orifices is very important for prevention, therefore nutritious feed for pregnant cow in dry period is needed. The way to diagnose is a good point. Thanks.

K G Piitie
8 de agosto de 2018

Sirs,
I am not a vet expert, only I used to rear cows. I had read an article from a New Zealand site that the teat remains open for a long time because of shortage of calcium in the body. if there is a proper balance of ca. and p then mastitis chances reduce drastically.

Mohamed Fawzy Elsawy
10 de agosto de 2018
I would like to inform you that there is no subclinical mastitis under field conditions because there are no changes in the milk and the mammary quarters. The decrease in milk yield may be due to several other factors. Milk is considered an excellent medium for microbial growth. If one bacterium is present in the mammary tissues it becomes millions of bacteria within a few hours. Thank you Best Regards Prof.Dr.Abd Elsalam ElSawy
Lorenzo Quesnel
Perry Brook Dairy Farm
10 de agosto de 2018
Mohamed Fawzy Elsawy Are you familiar with a CMT paddle where you can see relative 0 -1,000,000 Somatic Cells.in the fluid?
Robert B. Corbett
11 de agosto de 2018
Mohamed Fawzy Elsawy I strongly disagree. Anyone that has done a necropsy on a chronically infected quarter with Staph aureus knows that the milk may look completely normal but the mammary tissue is full of scar tissue and abscesses. Also, Pseudomonas, Prototheca, Serratia, and many other organisms cause chronically infected quarters that have normal appearing milk.
Lorenzo Quesnel
Perry Brook Dairy Farm
11 de agosto de 2018
Robert B. Corbett I am a dairy producer that has seen high somatic cell counts in milk from Johnes, Metritis, Lymphoma, and several other maladies.
Robert B. Corbett
11 de agosto de 2018
Lorenzo Quesnel Yes. For sure. When the elevated SCC is due to a systemic disease such as those you mentioned, you see an elevation in all 4 quarters. If you use a CMT test, in most cases these quarters will not be higher than a CMT score of 1.
Lorenzo Quesnel
Perry Brook Dairy Farm
11 de agosto de 2018
Robert Are there any protocols to save a Staph cow or a Johnes cow?
M. J. Saxena
Ayurvet Ltd.
11 de agosto de 2018
Mohamed Fawzy Elsawy Dear Dr. Elsawy: Subclinical Mastitis is like spark before the fire. Before pathological Mastitis sets in Udder immune barrier fights the entering pathogens by transforming circulating lymphocytes into PMN which transform the role as Natural killer cell by producing cytokines specially CD 4-8. So long as the teat canal primary parried to microbe reaching udder is effecting to capture microbes by keratin, the fight goes on and on and the leaky junction results in release of sodium and Chloride in the alveolar parenchyma finding way into the milk. Mastitis in dairy cow and it’s various stages like environmental, early subclinical,moderate and severe to Full blown and silent with no inflammation of udder. More in mai
Abdul Samad
12 de agosto de 2018
Mohamed Fawzy Elsawy - Sub-clinical mastitis is to be diagnosed based on somatic cell count and not bacterial culture. CMT is one of several tests that indirectly indicates somatic cell count. We have done screening of thousands of milk samples from field and sub-clinical mastitis based on high SCC score is a reality. But if SCC is normal and milk yield has gone down then one should start looking for other causes, such as ketosis, especially during peak yield.
Lorenzo Quesnel
Perry Brook Dairy Farm
12 de agosto de 2018
M. J. Saxena Has your research team developed any anti staph or anti coliform Herbal Protocols or Products?
Robert B. Corbett
12 de agosto de 2018
Lorenzo Quesnel A high percentage of cows infected with Staph aureus never become clinical. If a new infection is established in the quarter and it is not treated for several months, most cows develop abscesses in the mammary tissue. Antibiotics cannot successfully penetrate the wall of an abscess, so the majority of the cows become chronically infected. We routinely culture fresh cows to find those that are infected with Staph aureus and Mycoplasma since their immune system is compromised at calving. Most animals infected with Staph aureus will shed enough bacteria in the milk to identify an infected animal. If the cow had not been previously infected and the infection is recent, then it can often be treated successfully. The majority of first lactation animals that are positive for Staph aureus at calving can be successfully treated. There is nothing that can be done to salvage a Jonhnes positive animal.
Lorenzo Quesnel
Perry Brook Dairy Farm
18 de agosto de 2018
Robert B. Corbett I have read that johnes progression can be halted w/ 600mg of Monesin during dry period and mitigated w/ yeast cell wall fed 365 days per year.
Adnan Ali
27 de agosto de 2018

Mohamed Fawzy Elsawy Dear, the condition of mastitis is varying from region to region, so you cannot say that the occurrence of SCM is not found in the field conditions.
As per your statement, milk is an excellent medium for microbial growth and if one bacterium is present then it becomes millions. Now, Question is that if bacterias present in mammary tissues or milk, then how is it possible there are no changes in milk quality?
Can you describe, how much numbers of the bacterium may cause sub-clinical and clinical mastitis?
I agreed with your statement mastitis is not only a factor to decrease milk yield.

Thank you,
Kind Regards
Adnan Ali

Jasmer Singh
13 de agosto de 2018
The authors of this article appear to have overlooked our several articles on mastitis and more particularly that published in 'Engormix' a long time ago. First of all the most crucial aspect to control a disease is to know its etiology. So let us start a discussion on the etiology of' "Mastitis" and then think about its radical treatment. Jasmer Singh
Sharma Madan Lal
13 de agosto de 2018

Forum has turned down to an advertisement board. Looks funny than local ointments can reduce subclinical maatitis. Either we don't know subclinical mastitis or the author.

Jasmer Singh
14 de agosto de 2018
Sharma Madan Lal You are right and the write-up favoring Gel for the cure of mastitis appears seredipitous. First of all the normal pH of lactating udder i.e., of milk is ~6.0 to 6.5. Pl let us know which are the organism(S) causing mastitis can grow at this pH. And whether the Gel have any effect on the pH of milk. Jasmer singh
Dr. M.N.balakrishnan Nair
14 de agosto de 2018
It is reported that in India 60% of the mastitis cases are sub-clinical based on CMT test. In some cases because of the curdled milk also indicates mastitis without showing any other symptoms We have successfully treated all most 100% of these cases using herbal formulations alone without any interventions of chemical drugs or antimicrobial agent. Lab study also indicate the control of Staph aureus with the herbal formulation. few publications are included ? Nair M N B, N Punniamurthy* and S K Kumar 2017. Ethno-veterinary practices and the associated medicinal plants from 24 locations in 10 states of India RRJVS/Journal of Veterinary SciencesVol.3(2),16-25. ? Nair M N B, Punniamurthy N, Mekala P, Ramakrishnan N and Kumar SK.2017. Ethno-veterinary Formulation for Treatment of Bovine Mastitis, RRJVS/ Journal of Veterinary Sciences S1. 25-29. ? Punniamurthy N , Sujatha P L , Preetha S P & N. ramakrishnan. Analysis of the mechanism of action by molecular docking studies of one ethno-veterinary herbal preparation used in bovine mastitis IJANS. ISSN(P): 2319-4014; ISSN(E): 2319-4022 Vol. 6, Issue 5, Aug – Sep 2017; 23-30 ? Punniamurthy N, Ramakrishnan N, Nair MNB, Vijayaraghavan S. In-Vitro Antimicrobial Activity of Ethnoveterinary Herbal Preparation for Mastitis. Dairy and Vet Sci J. 2017; 3(2): 555607. DOI: 10.19080/JDVS.2017.03.555607002 ? Kumar S K1, Deepa P M2, Punnimurthy N3, MNB Nair4 2018. Prevention of mastitis in cattle during dry period using herbal formulation. RRJVS | Volume 4 | Issue 1 | June, e-ISSN:2581-3897
Jasmer Singh
14 de agosto de 2018
Hi Dr Nair, I have come across a lot of herbal preparations used for treating mastitis in animals. However, I am yet to find any publication hitting at the basic cause of mastitis( acute/subclinical or any other form of mastitis)in dairy animals. Anyway if you are able to control any disease by any means it is welcome but as far as I know palliative measures do not last long. I would request you to please find some time to just have a look at our papers to find out what is the basic cause of mastitis and its radical control measures. For any information u r welcome. Jasmer singh
16 de agosto de 2018

Dear Sir,
Presently we are working with NDDB on the mastitis control popularization programme with 27 Dairies with this formulation. this is preventive and curative even for chronic cases. We are not looking at Mastitis only on western scientific understanding we also look at it Ayurveda science. Our strength is clinical success.

Jasmer Singh
16 de agosto de 2018

Dr. M.N.balakrishnan Nair May I know what is the mode of action of this gel preparation and its contents which effects mastitis by topical application. Furthermore, what are the biomarkers you are taking into account for the efficacy of the drug(s). I have worked at Punjab Agril. Univ,.,Ludhiana till my retirement in June 2004. Of course, our most important objective is to control any disease(s) successfully with the cheapest as well as without much side effects to the animal and from milk and meat given to humans.
Jasmer Singh

M. J. Saxena
Ayurvet Ltd.
17 de agosto de 2018
Jasmer Singh Respected Dr Jasmer Singh Sir: Everyone in India and International community of Veterinarian knows you. Sir, I am MJ Saxena now Managing Director of Dabur Ayurvet who used to meet you with Dr MB Chabra our research advisor at that time. Sir, Mastilep is the most researched product and there is book on Management of Mastitis with Mastilep. Kindly send your e mail or postal address and I shall send you the copy of book as well as the Mode and Mechanism of action. Regards MJ Saxena.
Jasmer Singh
17 de agosto de 2018
M. J. Saxena Hello Dr sexena I remember you. I am staying in Rocklin, California and send the book on following address Jasmer Singh, 2310 Clubhouse DR, Rocklin, 95765, CA, USA
M. J. Saxena
Ayurvet Ltd.
17 de agosto de 2018
Jasmer Singh Thank you Sir. I shall send it on Monday.
Jasmer Singh
18 de agosto de 2018
M. J. Saxena Thanks Dr Sexena. Jasmer
Lorenzo Quesnel
Perry Brook Dairy Farm
18 de agosto de 2018
M. J. Saxena Could you also share booklet w/ me lpq@email.com, Perrybrook Dairy 123 Cutting Hill Road Whiting Vermont 05778 USA
Sharan
22 de agosto de 2018
M. J. Saxena please send booklet to house 144 sector 11 Chandigarh thank you
Sharan
22 de agosto de 2018
Sharan email is sharanbirgill@yahoo.com. Thank you sir
Bhaskar Ganguly
Ayurvet Ltd.
13 de septiembre de 2018

Dr. Jasmer Singh, traditional herbal knowledge cannot be neglected simply for the want of scientific evidence. Herbs and herbals work. When 70% of our present materia medica is derived directly or indirectly from isolated plant sources, I do not see any reason to believe that whole plants cannot have any activity. I am sharing the doi for one particular study showing the modulation of cytokines within the somatic cells in milk of mastitic cows receiving topical application of Mastilep. This study will leave you with many more questions but that is the problem with contemporary molecular biology. Every new technique seems to render a formerly 'conclusive' study inconclusive. Anyways, I prefer to abide with the famous quote by Stuart Chase, "For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible".

doi:10.4103/0974-8520.146254

Thank you very much.

Lorenzo Quesnel
Perry Brook Dairy Farm
13 de septiembre de 2018
Bhaskar Ganguly Could we receive that Study @ lpq@email.com.
Bhaskar Ganguly
Ayurvet Ltd.
13 de septiembre de 2018
Yes please Lorenzo Quesnel. Here it is: doi:10.4103/0974-8520.146254
Jasmer Singh
13 de septiembre de 2018
Bhaskar Ganguly Hi " Science is the pursuit of truth" and of course truth does need proof. Without proof our judiciary would fail in its decisions, hence, simply quotations can not convince me or anybody else. Moreover, Dr. Nair a few days ago commented that along with the Gel preparation for mastitis they also give two lemons to the mastitis affected animal, and commented about citrate that it is 100% correct. But surprisingly I could not locate his this comment now from this discussion which might have been deleted or I was unable to locate. Jasmer Singh
Bhaskar Ganguly
Ayurvet Ltd.
13 de septiembre de 2018
Jasmer Singh I'd like to know what you think of the findings in the publication that I shared.
Jasmer Singh
14 de septiembre de 2018
Bhaskar Ganguly I still do not understand what you want to convey. Jasmer Singh
Jasmer Singh
15 de septiembre de 2018
Bhaskar Ganguly Dr Sexana was to send me the book on mastitis but i have not received yet.Any way I would still like to know the ingredient(s) in your preparation for curing Mastitis. If you have no mechanisms of action of the drug of its activity and claiming very good results well it is your individual perception. Anybody or rather every dairy farmer would like to know the basics of any chemical they are applying onto their animals about its composition which is obligatory on the part of the producer of the drug to display with its side effects,i any, or any hazards to human beings.Hope to get at reply. jasmer singh
Bhaskar Ganguly
Ayurvet Ltd.
17 de septiembre de 2018
I did share the doi for a publication that shows modulation of cytokines as the MoA of Mastilep. Here it is again for you. doi:10.4103/0974-8520.146254
Jasmer Singh
20 de septiembre de 2018

Bhaskar Ganguly I did go through the article you mentioned above. As you have rightly mentioned in your comment on 13 Sept that "new techniques render formerly conclusive studies as inconclusive". This is what we have done. The cause of mastitis since ages had been suspected to be infectious and innumerable such agents have been blamed for it, Hence, a variety of antibiotics, antiseptics, management practices, dry cow therapies and what not have been used indiscriminately to control mastitis. The results are well known to everybody regarding the economic losses, hazards to consumers of milk and meat and many more. So please use the correct diagnosis and radical cure for a disease so important economically and disturbing to the dairy industry.
Jasmer Singh

Sreedhar Murthy
12 de diciembre de 2018
Jasmer Singh Sir, I had faced this issue in two of my HF cows & with the instructions in the video - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H9HW2GxMRvw, have been able to cure this 100%. There has been no non-herbal intervention used. Many Thanks.
Viswanatha Reddy
18 de agosto de 2018

Dear M J Saxena,
I am a retired professor from Bangalore Veterinary college I do answer calls and emails of my students and few progressive farmers on mastitis too along with other reproductive problems and management.

Your booklet on Mastilip may be of use for the College Library at Bangalore and other 4 more colleges.

Please send me a copy i will read and give it to the college Library

Dr V N Viswanatha reddy
vnvreddy@gmail.com
Mob:9448052640

26 de agosto de 2018
Dear Dr Jasmer Singh I appreciate your understanding of the Mastitis with the western knowledge system I am requesting you to just read the understanding of mastitis by the Indian knowledge system One of the argument I propose is that we do not recognise that bacteria is the sole reason for mastitis and by killing the bacteria is the major method of curing mastitis. the combination we are using and the mode of action is presented below. Please let me know that whether it makes sense External application is one of the major ways Ayurveda treatment ( oil application and massage ) Nair STHANA VIDHRADHI (Breast Abscess/Mastitis) 1. Introduction: Sthanya is considered as upadhatu of Rasa dhatu. It is mainly consists of Twak (Skin), Kandara (Connective tissues), Mamasa( Muscle tissue), Rasavahini( Lactiferous ducts) and Granthis( Glandular lobes or acini) with adequate number of Rakthavahinis ( Blood vessels). Disease afflicting to all these components end up in sthanyaja vikara( Breast diseases) called as Sthana vidhradhi ( Mastitis). Sthana is also a seat for shotha (Inflammation), Vrana (Ulcers), Granthis ( beningn Tumours) and Arbuda ( Malignat tumors) The etiopathogenesis, clinical features and treatment of all these conditions is similar to the diseases of any othe body parts. Though Sthana vidhradhi is similar to other vidhradhi there is slight difference in the line of treatment. Due to this reason Sushrutha, Madhava nidana and bhavaprakasha described these disorders under Sthana Roga ( Breast/Udder diseases). In Vagbhata also there is a short description of Sthana vidhradhi along with general abscess. Kashyapa has described a disease with the name of Sthanavajra or Sthanakeelaka instead of Sthanavidhradhi ( Breast abscess). Except difference in etiology, clinical features etc of Sthankeelaka, Sthanaroga and Sthanavidhradhi are identical hence all the names related to sthana is one and the same. 2. Classification: 6 types- (Su Ni 10/15, A SA Ni 11/5 , A H Ni 11/3) Classification of Sthanavidhradhi based on Involvement of dosha and Etiology. 1. Vataja sthanavidhrdahi – Vata humour type – Acute inflammation 2. Pittaja sthanavidhradhi – Pitta humour type – Acute suppuration 3. Kaphaja sthanavidhradhi – Kapha humor type – Chronic Abscess 4. Sannipathaja sthanavidhradhi – Combination of all 3 humors 5. Rakthaja sthanavidhradhi – Blood manifestation 6. Abhigathaja sthanavidhradhi – External Injury/ Microbial type 3. Nidana (Etiology)- (A SA Ni 11/3 , A H Ni 11/1) 1. Consumption of stale (Ama) , Excessive hot (Ushna) and dry foods ( Rooksha). 2. Consumption of food that produces burning sensation (vidahi and Pittakaraka ahara). 3. Sleeping over uneven surfaces.(external injury) 4. Wrong food habits and wrong regimen ( Confining to the one place not having enough movements) 5. Not properly feeding the calf(Baby) 6. Injury to the organ ( Udder) 4. SAMPRAPTI (PATHOGENESIS): As there is no vishesha samprapti for Sthana vidhradhi samanya samprapti of vidhradhi can be taken into consideration. Nidana (Etiology) Pitta pradhana Tridosha prakopa Vitiation of Doshas (Pitta) Agnimandya Raktha dhatu dusti External injuries(Abhighatha) Amotpatti Rakthavihini Srotodushti Srotorodha Rasa Dhatu dusti Sthanasamshraya of dosha (pitta pradhana) and dushyas (Rasa, Raktha and Mamsa) in Sthana, Sthanyavaha Srotho dusti Dhatu dusti and dusti of upadhatu(Sthanya) due to nidana sevana Dosha Dushya Sammurchana Lakshonotpatti ( Sthana Vidhradhi) By indulging in foods, which are stale, of hot potency, dry, this increases the pitta dosa (of acidic nature). Improper sleeping habits, improper lifestyle and all those activities which cause vitiation of rakta, produces a swelling localized in the skin, muscle, adipose tissue, bone, tendon, ligaments etc. Such a swelling when lodged in the breasts of the woman in her reproductive age, either a pregnant or a female who has just delivered forms a breast abscess, which is not seen in young females. The channels in the breasts in a pregnant as well as female who has just delivered are dilated and so are vulnerable for the manifestation of internal abscess of the breasts. In virgins, due to minuteness of the breast channels there is no possibility of breast abscess to occur. The term “dosa” signifies the dùsana svabhàva – the nature of vitiation and so they are the basic triggering factors in the disease causation. These are vàta, pitta and kapha. These in turn vitiate the tissue elements such as blood, muscle fat etc and manifests in the form a diseases. The same dosa can produce plethora of diseases due to the fact that it is dependent on the following factors, 5. Samprapthi Ghatakas ( Components of pathogenesis) Dosa (Humours) - Pitta pradhana tridosha Dushya (Tissue elements) – Rasa, Raktha and Mamsa Srotas (Channels) – Sthanyavaha Srotas Agni – Jataraghni and Dhatwagni Roga Marga – Madhyama 6. Lakshanas (Clinical features): Swelling, breast engorgement, pain, inflammation and unbearable pain on touch (tenderness) of the female breast. Others include, indigestion, lassitude, uneasiness, anorexia, arthralgia, headache, pain and stiffness of body parts, nausea, fever thirst, retention of urine, diarrhea. No stage wise explanation in the text – as mentioned above the disease has to be understood in terms of dosa predominance. Àyurveda emphasizes on the disease and the individual with the disease. The individual with the disease is examined by darsana, sparsana (clinical examination) and prasna (history taking). The disease is understood by the nidàna -cause (etiological diagnosis), pragrùpa - prodormal symptoms / signs, rùpa – signs / symptoms (morphological diagnosis), sampràpti – pathogenesis (clinical diagnosis) and by upasaya (trial and error method). In the case of abscess, the colour of discharge and the smell of the discharge indicate the predominance of particular dosa(s). Management is based on the dosic predominance besides considering the stage of the disease and the diseased. In the case of unsuppurated abscess, bringing suppuration by means of application of heat etc, is the way of expelling the pus and the unwanted debris. But in the case of Sthana vidradhi, as the breast tissue is very delicate, application of excess heat etc are contraindicated. If applied it destroys the delicate soft tissue and pus gets formed quickly. On the other hand, mild application of heat as per requirement is advisable (heat generated by rubbing the palm). Oral administration of drugs as per the dosa. These drugs expel the dosa though bowels and urine. Surgical methods are to be adopted in case of suppurated breast abscess. The operation is performed by avoiding injury to milk ducts, nipple and areola. During all stages of the breast abscess, the breast should be milked out. Signs and symptoms • Local changes: Reddish/blackish swollen udder with extreme pain and tenderness at times, hard and warm to touch. • Milk changes: Milk is often yellow or curdled, has blood tinge at times, and also a few suspended particles seen in the milk of the affected udder. There are three stages of this disease: • Samavastha: When the doshas have just lodged themselves in the breast – heaviness in the breasts, slight pain, anorexia, etc. • Pachyamanavastha: When the doshas start getting expressed – tenderness in the breasts, swelling, fever (slight), reddish or blackening of the udder. • Pakvavastha: When the doshas are fully expressed –extreme pain and tenderness, swelling, fever, etc. Different types and its signs and symptoms 1. Vataja Type : Black or reddish in colour , hard, stiff, rough associated with severe pain, has very unusual types of beginnings such as swellings and suppurations which are slow in nature. 2. Pittaja Type : Resembles ripe fruit of udumbara ( Fig) associated with fever, burning sensation, sudden onset and quick suppuration after ruptures yellow discharges comes out. 3. Kaphaja Type : Resembles earthen late ( slightly protuberant in centre with wide base), is yellowish white, cold in touch, stiff, mild pain, develops and suppurates gradually, has itching and discharge white after rupture. 4. Sannipathaja Type: Multiple colours(black, white, yellow) varied pains ( Piercing pain, Burning sensation and itching), discharges of thin, yellow or white, raised, irregular , incurable and suppurates irregularly. 5. Abhighataja Type: when person consumes noncongenial diet gets an injury, the heat of the injury excited or spread by Vayu withholding Raktha and aggravates pitta. Fever, Thirst and burning sensation and also will have pittaja type of lakshanas. 6. Rakthaja Type : Very acute in nature, resembles early stages of gangrene. 7. Management • The treatment prescribed for abscess holds good here also along with wound or vrana treatment. • In the beginning for suppuration, poultice or sudation should not be used (Yoga Ratnakara advised). Suppuration should be enhanced by oral use of appropriate drugs or diet. • Once suppuration of this is established, the instrumentation should be done protecting lactiferous ducts, areola, and nipples. • Repeated milking should be done in all the stages; i.e., inflammation, beginning of suppuration and suppuration of abscess. • Drugs capable of suppressing the Pitta and cold drugs should be used. • Bloodletting with the help of leeches should be done. 8. Chikitsa – Smaprapthi vightana (Principles of Treatment) 1. Agni deepana – Improves the status of metabolism 2. Ama pachana – Cleanses the toxins of whole animal and udder 3. Pitta and Raktha Shamaka – Paccifies the aggravated Pitta dosha and Raktha dooshya 4. Srotoshodaka – Cleanes the channels of Lactiferous glands. 5. Vrana Shodaka and ropaka – Cleanses the wounds( Lactiferous) 6. Shothahara – Paccifies the inflammation due to Infection 7. Krimihara – Decreases the microbial load This formulation consists of 3 ingredients… 1. Aloe vera 2. Curcuma longa 3. Calcium hydroxide Aloe vera is ( B P N 420) ? Deepana ( Digestive), ? Pachana ( Carminative), ? Cold in potency ( pacifies pitta), ? Pitta and Raktha shamaka ( Paccifies Pitta and Raktha) ? Krimighna ( Anti-microbial) ? Vrana shodaka and Vrana ropaka ( Cleanses wounds) ? Shothahara ( anti-inflammatory) Curcuma longa is (B P N 115) ? Deepana ( Digestive), ? Pachana ( Carminative), ? Uttejaka( Stimulanat) ? Rakthashodaka ( Bllod purifier) ? Shothahara ( Anti-inflammatory) ? Krimighna ( Anti-microbial) ? Vrana shodaka and Vrana ropaka ( Cleanses wounds) Clacium hydroxide is (Indian Materia Medica) ? Srotoshodaka ( Channel cleanser) ? Shothahara (Anti-inflammatory) ? Raktashodhaka (Blood purifier), ? Vrana shodaka and Vrana ropaka ( Cleanses wounds) Mastitis can be compared with sthanavidhradi as described in Ayurveda. Sthanavidhradi is a disease of pitta origin, the drugs used in this formulation are potent pitta shamaka (Paccifies pitta humour). Hence the disease mastitis (Sthanavidradhi) can be efficiently managed with this formulation. This formulation consists of Aloe vera, Curcuma longa and Calcium hydroxide which are having the properties of Agni deepana ( digestive), Amapachana (Carminative), Krimighna (anti-microbial), Vranashodaka (Wound cleanser), Vranaropaka (Wound healing) and Shothahara (anti-inflammatory), Srotoshodaka ( Channel cleanser) so this formulation holds good in combating the disease Mastitis.
Jasmer Singh
28 de agosto de 2018

Dr. M.N.balakrishnan Nair Thanks for awakening me from the slumber of ' western Technology'. I would like to know about your training and Theses problems at the M Sc, and Ph D levels. Weather it was Ayurveda or Western? Moreover, I would like to add for your general knowledge that I used "Ayurveda" for controlling clinical cases of vaginal Prolapse in cows and buffaloes with 100% success and published results in Veterinary Record. I know there are some therapies in Homeopathy and Ayurveda which are very effective. However, I do appreciate your dedication to Ayurveda-Indian technology albeit regarding effect of gel preparation against mastitis I still would need clarification as what is the probable cause and mode of action of the ingredients therein.
Jasmer Singh.

Inder
26 de agosto de 2018
Hello Sir, Its a wonderful article.I found it very informative. I would love to go for Ayurvedic treatment in animals. Sir, I have one case here in India . So owner is also interested to go for Ayurvedic treatment rather than allopathy. Sir is there any way I can get your contact. Best Regards , Dr Inder Punjab India.
Sharma Madan Lal
26 de agosto de 2018

We need to study Ayurveda by joining BAMS. Years spent in modern medicine have gone waste (around 45 yrs).
I am yet to see a critical case moving from allopathic hospital to Ayouvedic hospital.

W. Harewood
4 de septiembre de 2018
Sharma Madan Lal Dear Sir, What is BAMS?
Adnan Ali
27 de agosto de 2018
Dear, I am interested to use these products in Pakistan as a study case. I am waiting for your response. Thank you Adnan Ali
Dr. Amit Kumar Pandey
Ayurvet Ltd.
28 de agosto de 2018

Respected Adnan Ali,

Please share your contact details like email, id and phone number so that I can send you more information and can contact you for further processing.

Thanks.

Lorenzo Quesnel
Perry Brook Dairy Farm
28 de agosto de 2018
Dr. AMit Kumar Pandey Could you also share Info w/ lpq@email.com USA 1000 cow dairy farm.
Adnan Ali
28 de agosto de 2018
Dr. AMit Kumar Pandey Thanks for response. adnan.malko@gmail.com +923330393899 Kind regards Dr.Adnan Ali
Dr. Amit Kumar Pandey
Ayurvet Ltd.
28 de agosto de 2018

Dear Inder,

Please share your email, id or contact number so that we can contact you.

Thanks

Jasmer Singh
28 de agosto de 2018
Hi Everybody involved in this discussion is requested to read our papers to know the basic cause and the radical control of mastitis (Per-acute, Acute or sub-clinical) in animals. If any clarification is needed please do write and shall be clarified. Jasmer Singh
Jasmer Singh
19 de septiembre de 2018

Sharan Hi Gill sahib. Pl let me know the site of your farm,number of animals, breed, age /lactation affected, Type of milk and other signs as swelling of udder, flakes in milk, blood in milk, any smell or other abnormality etc. However, the basic treatments are as below:

For adult lactating cow/buffalo......

1. 5 gms of trisodium citrate as a drench in 100ml water daily for six days.
2.For chronic or non-responsive animals, give I/V 5% sterile solution of trisodium citrate only once and follow-up with oral 5gms of TSA for 4-5 days.

Jasmer Singh

Sharan
19 de septiembre de 2018
Jasmer Singh I am amazed Sir you are a scientist in USA as your address please send me your email Sir Punjab farmers will be delighted if you can give lecture and enlighten them . This is unbelieveable will send all details to you .
Jasmer Singh
19 de septiembre de 2018
Sharan Here is my e-mail jasmerdr@yahoo.com. Jasmer Singh
Sharan
20 de septiembre de 2018

Jasmer Singh thank you, Sir, for your email. I will collect all our common problems and send it to you. Please advise treatment for problems serial wise. Will circulate in farmers group. Will be great if you let us know when visit to India. We are in Punjab near Chandigarh. Will coordinate to give a lecture on mastitis. Thank you, Sir.

Jasmer Singh
20 de septiembre de 2018
Sharan I shall inform you whenever we visit Punjab. Then we can discuss as many as problems relating to animals. Jasmer Singh
Join Engormix and be part of the largest agribusiness social network in the world.
LoginRegister