Explore
Communities in English
Advertise on Engormix

Prolapse in commercial layers

Prolapse in commercial layers

Published: June 21, 2011
By: Chandra

Could anybody suggest me a medicine for prolapse problem in deep litter of bovans breed which are in 23 week and the weigtht is 1.500kg of bovans breed kindly suggest me the lighting program. I am incurring daily mortality of 5 birds per day. Please help me.

Chandra Sekhar

Related topics:
Influencers who recommended :
Dr Charles Ibe
Recommend
Comment
Alkam Ahmad
27 de marzo de 2019

To solve prolapse in your layers you have to start early at the rearing period by enhancing your layer chicks to grow and getting the optimal body conformation with large abdominal cavity and good muscles distribution over body bones before 6 weeks of age and your target body weight.

Must be over or on standard before 12 weeks age this may come from good feed components
and texture, feed space, light duration birds density good debeaking if it's done.

Don't over stimulate your layer by light to push them to lay early and use warm light source in the production period and if you want to increase light duration or intensity do it gradually also don't change time of feeding or lighting, or eggs collection. 

Recommend
Abdul malek
United Feeds Ltd
26 de junio de 2019

I have faced a problem of prolapse at 20-22 months of age. Egg size is 65-70 gm white birds. Some salmonella infection CP content is almost 17%. Production is 70% and above.

Can anyone suggest to me what can I do now to minimize prolapse in layer birds?

Recommend
hassan salemi
14 de agosto de 2019

I believe all of above reason about prolapse but in my flock (layer p.s)mortality about prolapse increase after feeding what's the reason?

Recommend
Ogunlana Adetayo Johnson
22 de agosto de 2019

Thank you all, I am a new member here but I also have questions to ask.

Please on this issues of prolapse:
1) What should be the percentages of calcium and phosphorus analysis in layers complete feeds?

2) Can prolapse cause death for a bird without other birds pecking her?

Thanks.

Recommend
Alkam Ahmad
29 de agosto de 2019
calcium % = 3.6 to 3.9 may reach 4.0 depends on feed intake per bird per day each layer need around 4000 mg calcium per day to produce good shelled eggs p available from 0.38 to 0.42 % in the complete feed and this decrease by age may reach 0.35 % for more than 70 weeks age layers yes. unfortunately prolapse cause death for layer in most cases
Recommend
abid ali
5 de febrero de 2020
Is there any relation of prolapse with Aflatoxicosis?
Recommend
Muhammed Oladipupo
29 de marzo de 2020
Kudos to my all the contributors!!! The issue of infectious bronchitis can also cause prolapse due to shrinkage/occlussion of the ovipositor and abdominal layer(egg in the abdominal cavity) this makes bird strain to lay which is abortive leading to ...protrusion of the uterus ...pecking ...shrink and pale comb ...emaciation ...mortality It is important to have efficient vaccination ....
Recommend
Srinivasan Palani
8 de abril de 2020
Verify the density or otherwise actual floor space is provided or not Check salt and fiber content of the diet Methionine level should checked and rectified Check the calcium and phosphorus level in the diet
Recommend
Aoun Khan
8 de abril de 2020

Can aflatoxin cause a prolapse?

Recommend
Kazem Yussefi
24 de abril de 2020
yes
Recommend
Ram Prasad Poudyal
9 de abril de 2020
We are practicing as follows 1 Maintain ca:p ratio 8.11 2 Maintain protein 18% 3.space 1.66 square feet 4. Light 20 lux 5 Light is calculated as(area in sq ft/ 10.765*300)/300 This is for 9 watt led light or 25 watt cfl or 60 watt fillament bulb Maintain methionine 0.42% 7 light hour day lenghth plus required hour=16:30
Recommend
atif mohamed ali
IYA Investment
9 de abril de 2020

Review lighting intensity 5-10 lux
avoid picking
feed may include zeralenone toxins -low choline level or high energy
problem in uniformity of body weight leading to egg impaction
vitamin B+K3+CHOLINE
liver enhancer &detoxifier product

Recommend
Nawaz Ahmad
12 de abril de 2020

Light intensity, skeleton development during rearing are two contributing factors.

Recommend
Andrew Sivaram
12 de abril de 2020

A bodyweight of 1.50 kg at 23 weeks indicates that your hens are too light and small, causing the prolapse to occur as soon as laying commences. This is a carry over problem of underweight pullets. You should upgrade the specs of your Pullet Starter (0 - 5 weeks old) and Pullet Grower (5 - 10 weeks old) feeds to help your pullets achieve the standard bodyweight curve. Once your pullet bodyweight is on the standard and the uniformity is good at 10 weeks old, the prolapse problem will disappear.

Recommend
Doc Vet Nato
23 de abril de 2020
Andrew Sivaram What strain of layers are you referring? In the phil we use dekalb white
Recommend
Andrew Sivaram
24 de abril de 2020
Doc Vet Nato in Malaysia, most of our farmers are rearing brown layer breeds. The most popular breed reared is Hisex. Lohmann comes next.
Recommend
John Kaijage
12 de abril de 2020
There several reasons which contributes to the prolapse in commercial layers. Nutrition is one among the major factors which leads to the prolapse such as high energy and protein ratio at early stage of laying might lead to the production of large eggs before prior complete skeletal development eventually uterine prolapse; improper calcium/phosphorous ratio may hinder absorption of calcium whilst impair skeletal development and limit passage of eggs and eventually prolapse; Deficiency calcium, phosphorus, protein particularly with essential amino acids such as lysine and methionine, vitamin in B complex, vitamin D, Vitamin E the diet may lead to prolapse. Other factors are associated with management such supply of light for more than 16 hours will stimulate birds to early laying before complete skeletal and muscular development lead to the prolapse.
Recommend
Richard Karugaba
16 de abril de 2020

Ok, I will evaluate with colleagues and get back with comments and experiences. Thanks a great deal.

Recommend
Robert Pottgueter
Lohmann Breeders
23 de abril de 2020

Dear All,
beside nutrition - Prolapse is basically an overall management topic. Just to focus only on nutrition will never solve or reduce Prolapse problems.

Robert

Recommend
Benjamin Akande
5 de mayo de 2020

Robert Pottgueter please sir, why is prolapse common in lohmann brown classic, despite maintaining the target weight, good spacing during rearing and also ensuring that the birds have good uniformity.

Recommend
Robert Pottgueter
Lohmann Breeders
6 de mayo de 2020

Benjamin Akande Dear Sir, Prolapse is for sure not common in Lohmann brown hens. Please see all the arguments, reasons & suggestions in this chat above. Robert

Recommend
Adebayo oluwole
23 de abril de 2020

In addition to the above points mentioned prolapse in laying birds is related to several factors: breed, nutrition, housing system, management practices, lighting regime, photostimulation, effective weight management and microclimate, among the factors

Recommend
FERNANDO GARCES EDULLANTES JR
23 de abril de 2020
This is a good learning avenue.
Recommend
Zahed Abbasi
Toyoor Barekat co
24 de abril de 2020

Hi to all:
I agree with Mr Robert that basically prolapse is because of management topics but to analyse the causes and to solve it must look at which age it occurs?
1- Just after start of production
2- in the middle age whiteout observe it before that time
3- in aged flocks for example more than 60 weeks age?

In start of production it is the very bad kind and is due to bed management in rearing, specially in first 6 weeks of age and not uniform flocks before start of production. In middle age more often is due to sudden increase in egg size or calcium and phosphor deficiency or incorrect ratio. And in age flocks it is due to loss of body weight and natural moult of some percent of flock.

Recommend
Jayanth Deshpande
27 de abril de 2020
Birds below target weight (under weight) specially from week 8 to 16 are more susceptible to prolapse. Also these birds will not peak and have higher non specific mortality after week 55. All under weight birds are segregated at rearing and provided enough feeder space and feed to recover body weights. Water restriction during rearing for about 1-1.5 hours in the morning helps feed to stay in intestine for longer period reducing reverse peristalsis. This will reduce the prolapse incidence. (Care is excersised to avoid heatstress. Water restriction followed till egg production) One herbal supplement available to reduce the incidence and anyone interested do let me know.
Recommend
Islamistheway
27 de abril de 2020
Jayanth Deshpande less nothe herbal supplement, the case Harper in my poultry I use chlorine for one week the birds have not started dropping again offer a month now. What should I do
Recommend
Jayanth Deshpande
27 de abril de 2020

Islamistheway I didn't understand the query. Can you provide some more details?

Recommend
Benjamin Akande
5 de mayo de 2020

Jayanth Deshpande please sir, interested in the herbal supplement.

Recommend
Profile picture
Would you like to discuss another topic? Create a new post to engage with experts in the community.
Join Engormix and be part of the largest agribusiness social network in the world.