Enzyme Solutions for Poultry Diets

Forum: Characteristics of Effective Enzyme Solutions for Poultry Diets

Published on: 08/27/2012
Author/s : Gwendolyn Jones (Danisco Animal Nutrition)
Enzymes are widely accepted to improve the utilization of nutrients in poultry diets and increase the capacity of birds to perform on less digestible feed ingredients. However, increasing volatility in raw material prices for feed ingredients and stricter regulations on feed safety to control salmonella in poultry production, are changing the way we formulate and process poultry diets and requires...
remove_red_eye 2105 forum 10 bar_chart Statistics share print
Share :
close
Rachid  Mohra Rachid Mohra
Owner
August 27, 2012

Thanks for this report Enzyme Solutions for Poultry Diets. I do agree with the conclusion...

August 28, 2012

Interesting article about Enzyme Solutions for Poultry Diets.
What might be useful is a table of potential enzyme activity for different feed raw materials. This would be particularly useful when trying to add on a new raw material to the feed ration

Dr Muhammad Arshad  Manj Dr Muhammad Arshad Manj
Doctor of Veterinary Medicine
August 28, 2012
AOA , good finding fo the use of non available nutrients. more information is needed for precise use of enzymes
August 29, 2012

Congratulations Gwen. Good article about Enzyme Solutions for Poultry Diets. You cannot explain more, in such a clear way, with less words. Greetings. Rafa

Sergio Velez Sergio Velez
Animal Nutritionist
September 17, 2012

The reality - in my view- is that results with other enzymes different than Phytases are VERY equivocal. It is so for many reasons including:

1. Lack of precise info on feed substrate for the enzyme
2. Poorly estimated energy values for ingredientes and formulas
3. Inter brand enzyme activities comparison today is close to impossible: units are completely different.
4. It is not certain if "purified" enzymes are better or not than multienzymatic complexes with all their side activities.
4. In may experiments the negative control diet with added enzymes already exceeds animal requirements and therefore results can be very misleading
5. Other criteria, different than whole animal on farm performance such as digestibility and ingesta viscosity reductions do not correlate well or clearly explain treatment effects. I speculate that overall cell wall structures (in case of carbohydrases) are so complex and recalcitrant that perhaps we need much more powerfull or complex enzume activities.

Enzymes are extremely powerful, are here to stay but i have the feeling - as i think many other do- that today we are only at the beginning of the their intellogent use and that somehow we do have more of a merchandising than a very precise scientific base use and that industry is partially responsible for the difficulties in their use. Time will tell and most probably this is one of those issues that we in the future may look backwards in time and be very surprised as how crude users we were.....

September 17, 2012
Dear Segio I respect your opinion but I have to strongly disagree with you. It is not the space to show data, results, experiments, but I offer you the chance to meet any of my AMCAS colleagues who will with great pleasure show how much knowledge we have about the substrates we must digest, how much science there is behind each enzyme we put in the market place and how many data, including lots of OTT (over the top) results in trials where those current-commercial feeds with enzymes on top gave very good results, outperforming those without enzymes. I have to agree in the sense that this enzymatic world is still growing and will ring many more changes, but as said, we in DuPont offer a great technology on how best relate the exact enzyme to help digestion of the right substrate. Cheers from Colmenar Viejo, Madrid, Spain.
September 17, 2012

Good job; the value of feed enzyme as pro-nutrient feed additive is well, perhaps better quantified by growth perfromance and mechanisticaaly so by digestibility. The ability to find and evolve the next generation of feed enzymes will be driven by understanding of target substrates and the implications to the animal nutrition. However, the gut is populated with diverse assemblage of microbiota (billions of metabolically active cells) that plays a critical role not only for the overall well-being of the animal, but also for it’s nutrition, performance and quality of the products produced. In this context, there is greater need to integrate animal performance/digestibility & gut microbial profiling in feed enzyme research.

Sergio Velez Sergio Velez
Animal Nutritionist
September 17, 2012
With no intention at all to generate controvery ( i am a carbohydarse user) i am sure that most users will agree with me that the industry has not done a good job in providing clarity to end users 1. Activity units are not comparable through different providers 2. Enzyme names do not comply with standard enzyme naming procedures 3. I insist: its common to read experiments with differences in growth parameters unsopported via changes in digestibility and, for example, viscosity. 4. I pérsonally do not now if its better /or not. to use coctails made of pure activities or complex enxymatic products with all "side activities." ( have heard arguments and papers both ways). And yes Dr. Rafael ( this is not the forum for in depth discusion I agree) I would much appreciate a personal visit to discuss these matters. Best regards. Sergio Velez, Bogota, Colombia
October 25, 2012
Dear Sergio, you have your point with what you say and I would love meeting you, but unfortunately Colombia is not of my countries. In case you would at any point visit Spain, do not hesitate and contact me. I also guess you could have the chance to meet any of my colleagues in South America. Cheers
Saif Ul Haq Saif Ul Haq
Animal Nutritionist
July 11, 2013
In my opinion enzyme producers should offer complete customised formulation for the end users instead of offering different cocktails because the diet composition is variable for different age segments of birds as well as the availability of different types of feed ingredients round the year
print
(2105)
(10)
Would you like to discuss about this topic: Forum: Characteristics of Effective Enzyme Solutions for Poultry Diets?
Engormix reserves the right to delete and/or modify comments. See more details
Post a comment
Create new discussion :
If this discussion does not cover topics of interest or raises new questions, you can create another discussion.
Consult a professional in private:
If you have a specific problem you can perform a consultation privately to a professional in our community.
Rudolf Hein
Rudolf Hein
Consultant Micobiologist
  Georgetown, Delaware, United States

| 
Copyright © 1999-2019 Engormix - All Rights Reserved