Explore
Communities in English
Advertise on Engormix

Repeated isolation of virulent Newcastle disease viruses in poultry and captive non-poultry avian species in Pakistan from 2011 to 2016

Published: January 16, 2019
Summary
1. Introduction Newcastle disease (ND) is a highly contagious and fatal disease affecting poultry and a wide range of wild birds worldwide that is caused by infections with virulent strains of Newcastle disease virus (NDV) (Miller et al., 2010; Dimitrov et al., 2016c). Recently, the International Committee On Taxonomy of Viruses amended the taxonomy of genus Avulavirus of the Paramyxoviridae f...
Related topics
Authors:
Abdul Wajid
Follow
Muhammad tayyab
Follow
Patti J Miller
USDA - United States Department of Agriculture
Follow
Claudio Afonso
Follow
Show more
Join to be able to comment.
Once you join Engormix, you will be able to participate in all content and forums.
* Required information
Would you like to discuss another topic? Create a new post to engage with experts in the community.
Create a post
Dr. Mohammad Akram
24 de enero de 2019

Dear authors,
Thanks for your informative studies on NDV isolates of Pakistan.
In vaccinated commercial layer&broiler flocks of Karachi and surrounding areas of Sindh & Balochistan provinces, severe outbreaks of VVNDV tentatively diagnosed on the basis of symptoms & lesions. Diagnosis was further confirmed by unsatisfactory HI titres & isolation of NDV.
In such type of infected flocks an emergency vaccination with ND Lasota strain via I/M or S/Cut route was tried to overcome the heavy losses. Based on my personal experience, 3-5 days P.V. encouraging results were found in many flocks ( 60-70 % survival of infected flock). No doubt after recover 5-10% birds showed torticollis.
I feel that emergency vaccination could save the uninfected birds of infected flocks. I like to know the knowledgeable opinion of authors on this.
Regards
Dr. M. Akram, Consultant Microbiologist, Micro Laboratories, Karachi, Pakistan

Husam Bakri
Vaxxinova
25 de enero de 2019

Dr. Mohammad Akram I totally agree with you emergency vaccination is very useful, from my experience it should be applied as spray.

Dave Zacek
BV Science
25 de enero de 2019
Vaccination with mild live ND is effective at reducing symptoms. However, the vaccination will not prevent a flock from vvnd infection. These flocks can still serve as sources of infection. This is the reason that irradication schemes are employed to rid areas of highly virulent ND infection.
Husam Bakri
Vaxxinova
25 de enero de 2019

Dave Zacek: Thank you for your comments. There is no vaccine can prevent the infection 100%, we are using vaccines to reduce mortality and clinical signs as not all countries can do eradication. We are insisting farmers do good biosecurity, as it is the major action to prevent diseases.

Rabah Merrouche
30 de enero de 2019
Does emergency vaccination by nebulization on an already infected herd do not in itself represent the risk of exacerbation of the effect of wild-type virus?
bahram saeed
30 de enero de 2019

In the north of Iraq, we vaccinate broiler farm against Newcastle disease by Clon30 at the first day and fourteenth day by course spray. Also vaccinate by oil injection (clon30strain) at the first week of life. At the result loses (mortality) by VVND infection is not more than 25% of total farm if infection occurs after third weeks of life.

Ahmed
FAO (Food and Agriculture Organization)
3 de febrero de 2019
Dear bahram saeed The vaccinations against NDv in northern Iraq are not programed and source of vaccine is different, this is a real problem !!! The stratigy for vaccination is to protect chicks from a feild virus for that you need a perfect source of vaccine to be muching you vaccine this done when there is aproved seed of vaccine give this effecacy for that we need to Evaluate the available vaccines for its effecacy and then interoduced in suitable control program Regards
bahram saeed
3 de febrero de 2019
Dear Dr.Ahmed Thank you for your participant in the forum. Please tell me you have any knowledge about muching vaccine against field ND virus is present in ower market in northern Iraq ? Please tell me about better program of vaccination against ND viruses, with out interpretation with program of vaccination against other poultry viruses like IB ,AI and IBD? Best regard
Ahmed
3 de febrero de 2019
Dear Drbahram saeed Regarding muching vaccine, In my PhD research published articles mention VNDv genotype VII subtype i , could search for vaccines including seed virus VIIi or many published paper supported some commercial vaccine , I think there is a inactivated kild vaccine from korea or malysea produced NDv VIIi and you can search more to find I think theres . Regarding control program stratigy it is not difficult , but emplimentation is important and following the evaluation result becouse both of them are sustainable the poultry projects , idea, atitued, plan, implimentation , evaluation ,monitoring thats it Regards
Husam Bakri
Vaxxinova
3 de febrero de 2019

Dear Dr. Ahmed, thank you for your comments. Trust that most of the vaccine from good producers are good as they have been tested for efficacy and safety. The efficacy evaluates by challenge SFC with high pathogenicity ND strain to allow the vaccine to be used in the market. Also, keep in your mind these vaccines have been working well against ND for a long time, the problem in these days we have AI H9 and IB variants strains which need to take care of them at the same time. 

Thanks

Rabah Merrouche
31 de enero de 2019
First of all thank you for sharing informationt. Does a 25% mortality rate recorded after two vaccinations with live vaccine cloned by nebulization plus inactivated do not represent a vaccine failure?
Husam Bakri
Vaxxinova
31 de enero de 2019

Rabah Merrouche if lab test confirmed that mortality due to ND in flock has been vaccinated in 2 live and one killed. It is 100% vaccine failure. I have a study done on VACCINATED FLOCK HAS OUTBREAK WHY? Vaccinated failure was one of the reasons.

Magdalena Escorcia Martínez
UNAM - Universidad Nacional Autónoma de México
31 de enero de 2019

Rabah Merrouche
I remind you that the Clone 30 strain is a "soft" Newcastle strain. Having 25% mortality is not synonymous with failure or failure to vaccinate, it is an expected behavior of the vaccine strain used, in the face of virulent challenges.

31 de enero de 2019
I would suggest using the La Sota strain to vaccinate on outbreak. La Sota is more "aggressive" in the face of virulent challenges and offers a more solid immune response. I suggest that the application be drop to the eye because this allows us to ensure vaccination coverage closer to 100%
bahram saeed
31 de enero de 2019

Dear Rabah Merrouche
Dear Husam Bakri
I think your opinions are true, but the climate of Iraq at the summer season is very desicate, temperature above 45 centigrade and humidity is below 15 and most time the sky is become dusty. In spite of those problems our region are exposed to a variety of virus challenges at the same time like ND, IB, AI, IBD and also some time Adenoviral infection, (I think Dr. Husam Bakri has visited other regions, Kurdistan).
For those bad couses I think operate broiler vaccination as a package, for example, course spray at the first day by mixing IB and ND vaccine and repeated at the fourteenth day.
I suggest we not have a good time to vaccination by Lasota?

Husam Bakri
Vaxxinova
1 de febrero de 2019

bahram saeed Thank you for your very valuable information and I totally agree with you, in our area we must be sure that our vaccination program controls these diseases.

bahram saeed
1 de febrero de 2019
Dear Dr. Husam Thank you very match
1 de febrero de 2019
Husam Bakri I am interested in having your comment regarding the use of the strain La Sota gout to the eye, with the environmental conditions mentioned by Bahram Saeed.
Husam Bakri
Vaxxinova
2 de febrero de 2019

Socorro Magdalena Escorcia Martínez first, thank you for your question. Eye drop vaccination is one of the best and effective way to vaccinate ND. Lasota is also a good vaccine against ND as second dose (as you know, we cannot give it earlier), we do not prefer it due to the post vaccination reaction due to MG and MS infection. That is why clone has less post vaccination reaction and give good immunity against ND in endemic area.
Hope, I was able to answer your question.

Ahmed
3 de febrero de 2019

Husam Bakri
I agree with you, eye drop is the best way as I mention in my published article using clone30, but the previous dose and following dose to clone30 eye drop is a important with a muching vaccines with field virus, a suitable efficacy after a course of antibiotics to avoid risk of mycoplasma as well as following immune enhancement post vaccination.
Regards

5 de febrero de 2019
Husam Bakri Thank you for your answer. I agree with you when you mention the post-vaccination reaction with La Sota when it gets complicated with Mycoplasma; however, and I apologize that insist, if we perform metaphylaxis against Mycoplasma, the protection conferred by La Sota gout to eye is superior to the Clone strain.
Aoun Khan
2 de febrero de 2019

Dr. Bakri, I think Lasota strain is a hot strain, so in such conditions, which mr bahraam has described, do use the mild strains for ND control programme

bahram saeed
4 de febrero de 2019

I agree that eye drop (ND) is very effective way for vaccination,
But I suspect course spray of CLON 30 by (disvac sprayer) produce too broad spectrums of immunity and protection at the time of NDv challenge .
Because eye drop stimulate Harderian gland and CALT (conjunctival associated lymphoid tissues). But course spray stimulate Harderian gland and CALT (conjunctival associated lymphoid tissues), TALT (trachial associated lymphoid tissues) and BALT (bronchial associated lymphoid tissues).
Also CLO 30 is a purified broad spectrum protective and safe vaccine rather than soft vaccine.

Kausar Shaikh
13 de febrero de 2019
What about ND VH strain of ABIC (Phibro).
yusuf dambha
13 de febrero de 2019

Just want to know how often Lasota be given to broilers and layers. Thanks.

BAWINDSOMDE OUEDRAOGO
2 de octubre de 2022

Dr. Socorro,

It is a long time since I read from you.

If I am right. Do you suggest in case of an outbreak, to vaccinate coarse spray Lasota or is it a false understanding?

Thank you.

Join Engormix and be part of the largest agribusiness social network in the world.
LoginRegister