Explore
Communities in English
Advertise on Engormix

Water Acidifier in Broiler Production

Some Observations on use of Water Acidifier and Sanitizer in Broiler Production

Published: April 11, 2011
Summary
The quality of drinking water for poultry and its effect on performance have been of concern to poultry producers for many years. Water makes up a large proportion of the body of the chicken, from 55% to 75%, therefore it is essential for life. Chickens are able to survive much longer without feed than without water. A rule of thumb for water is that the bird consumes from 1.5 to 2 times as much ...
Related topics
Authors:
Satish Manwar
Follow
Join to be able to comment.
Once you join Engormix, you will be able to participate in all content and forums.
* Required information
Would you like to discuss another topic? Create a new post to engage with experts in the community.
Create a post
Ing. Dragan Ionut
5 de mayo de 2011
Dear mr Manoj. I use acidifiers by many years. I use also , peroxygen and other kind of desinfenctants.From my experieces is enough if you use acidifiers for wather sanitization. But , like a hot point - ph at niples must bu betwen 3.75 to 4. In Roumania this is almost 2 litres of acid per 1000 litres of water.Here he have a ph al the level of the bore by 7.5-7.6. We use peroxigen at the end of the flock to clean deply the water pipes
Arjan van de Vondervoort
Intracare
10 de mayo de 2011

Dear All,
The topic: Water Acidifier and Sanitizer in Broiler Production?, i see many comments about the use of acids, first of all let us make one thing clear, acids can not remove a biofilm, simple is that.
we know that there are a lot of producers of acids which are claiming this act, but that is what we call false information. A simple test if you put slimy pollution on your desk and put some acids on top of it, nothing will happen, if you put a slimy pollution and you will put a product called Intra Hydrocare the pollution will react immediately and the pollution will be solved.
Even many practical information is available that acids are creating slimebuilding.

Ing. Dragan Ionut
10 de mayo de 2011
Of course the acidifier can t remove the biofilms.From my experience this is clear. But only adding peroxid is not enough. A combinations betwen this two products is what we need for poultry. In breeding period , we put olny acidifier and after slaughetering, during cleaning time we put hydrogen peroxide 2% for cleaning pipes. Pipes will be clean like a glass.
Kasaka Moses
Makerere University
15 de junio de 2011

The research is good for us farmers and scientist. For us our water is always treated with chlorine at the public water treatment plant. Is there aneed for me treat that water sanitizer, or should i simply add the acidifier only. Please advise.
best regards
Kasaka moses

Miroslav Besermenji
15 de junio de 2011

Chlorine , alone cant be enough. Just google terms as chlorinated water pipeline outbreak (or the same as it), you will see plenty of documents that show you how chlorine dont have capacity to destroy biofilm. Especially in farm's that are on the edge of public water supply.
Also, during vaccination, medications etc, you should avoid water with chlorine. You, probably know that.

But i am not sure that 2% peroxide are enough. Especially if you have deposits with fat.

Here, we use our scheme:
"Descaling powder" in hot water - remove ALL debris's.
Then we apply "IN-VET" decontaminating formulation (silver colloid stabilized with hydrogen peroxide) in strong synergistic effect.

Results are highest level of decontaminated pipes.

Also, instead of acids, we dose formulation in drinking water sanitizer at the same schematic periods.

Sharad Dagadu Hol
Sharad Dagadu Hol
17 de junio de 2011
Dear Dr Jaydeep , Very nice article , But i think using Acidifier ( Dose ) solely depends on the ph & microbial count of that particular area or farm .Normally the ph found in our area is around 6.8-7.4 which certainly needs the acidifier as well as sanitizer .Kindly give the dosage & name of excellent product to be regularly used which will be cost effective as well as result oriented . Thanks
Neethiraja
Suguna Group
18 de junio de 2011

Dear Sir,
Thanks for the publishing the nice article about water sanitizer.
I request you to give the Name of the acidifier and details of mixing procedure in water, Contact time with water

Regards,
Neethiraja A

Dr. Naseem Chaudhry
18 de junio de 2011

Dear
I agreed with this article about water sanitizer. it is informative and good guide line for farmers.

Regards,

Dr. Naseem Anwar

Jam Abdul Aziz
25 de junio de 2011
we have better option to use acids in feed .we can save our equipment like drinker and can save heavy cost for replacement of drinkers.it is my personal view that ultimately, it will increase digestibility of feed and feed intake in broilers.
Puneet
Montajat Veterinary Pharmaceuticals Co. Ltd.
28 de junio de 2011
There are many Hydrogen peroxide based products (with silver compounds). we are selling a product by th name of aquapure with this formulation. this is highly effectively, and i have already got very good response in nepal. best is that there are no residues.
Ganesh Kumar Dahal
Guybro Chemical
29 de junio de 2011

Dear Mr.Nithiraja A.,
Andaman & Nicobar Island,

I have agreement with the comments of Mr.Ing.Dragan Ionut, Romania & Dr. Sharad Dagadu Hol, Maharashtra, India and recommend using 3% Hydrogen peroxide for cleaning the water supply channel as & when required depending on geographical & environmental diversity.

For poultry, a good water acidifier is indispensable solution. Selecting combination of synergistic protected organic acids with right pKa value and soluble butyrate salts are key traits for good acidifier. ACIDISOLE Liquid - A product of M/S Guybro Chemical, Mumbai, India (Guybro is 1st manufacturer / exporter & promoter of acidification concept in India) may be tried for getting desired benefits by mixing 1-2 ml per 5 Ltr. drinking water.

Regards,

G.K.Dahal

Fotis Angelis
2 de febrero de 2013

I usually use CID 2000, which is acidifier and satilizer combination (0.03-0.04%). And, about the effect of (glacial) acetic acid on broilers preformance, I found this: http://dasnetgroup.com/IJBR/data/2010/April/31-35.pdf.  Is that possible?

ravindra
24 de noviembre de 2014
most of the people talk about the product.. The main thing is what should be the PH of poultry drinking water. As per me,6-6.5 is ok.. Lowering than this may affect the Performance of the flock..accordingly we should apply the dosages of different products. I have seen so many farmers keep the PH at 3.0-4.0.
Ahmeddin Anjum
10 de julio de 2016
Few basic questions before interpreting the findings in this study: 1. Can RO water serve as control for open well and bore-well water when the objective is to study effect of acidifier & sanitizer? When comparing the three types of water, it is OK. 2. What was pH of water in all groups? If it was not equal then .... 3. Water quality is usually measured in terms of salts and bacterial count. The benefits, if any in this study, are attributed to what? reducing salts or effect on bacteria. 4. In this study, giblet yield was higher in birds given acidifier & sanitizer as compared to birds given untreated water. Does it mean the increase in live weight was due to increase in giblets rather than meat?
Dr. Rama Prasad Chakraborty
11 de julio de 2016
Nevertheless the importance of drinking water sanitation is immense in order to ensure poultry growth as well as production.The feeding water should preferably contain maximum 300 ppb of TDS.,though on the contrary the water being offered to the birds through bore well either shallow or deep caters the water with ppb of 500 and above.The quality of such water always find to interfere the process of fast absorption of micro nutrients despite your addition and thus affect the over all performance of your birds.Better your firm should be offered with water treatment plant with the provision of Reverse Osmosis and Biotron technology for incorporating dietary minerals in soluble form. This article is somehow addressing my advice.
Joseph Akayi Nammonywa
11 de julio de 2016
We can try Lupro-mix NC from basf.
Satish Manwar
11 de julio de 2016
please see the detail article published in indian journal of poultyry science recently.....
Farook Kahloon
11 de julio de 2016
Dr A.D Anjum raised very sensible and technical questions. One question is in my mind. What is standard water consumption of bore well water? Which we follow. Otherwise we go for water treatment with sanitize rs every time for flock rearing. Anyone please guide me for this question
manoj Singh
11 de julio de 2016
Higher temperatures – possibly due to global warming – decreased precipitation, and the reduced flow of surface and ground water could concentrate contaminants (nutrients) in drinking water. This will lead to faster, more widespread, and higher intensity eutrophication. Higher environmental temperatures will also accelerate bacteria and algae growth in water lines. Therefore, the best defense is for poultry producers to establish procedures – such as chemical shock treatments -- to suppress the formation of bio-films and slime layers in their poultry water lines followed by the use of organic acids like ACTIVATE WD MAX for controlling harmful bacteria. These practices are an important piece of a program for improved water quality, improved live performance and improved food safety.
Dr. Rama Prasad Chakraborty
11 de julio de 2016

The drinking water to the poultry flock should not contain TDS beyond 300 ppb. However, the optimum value to ensure rapid absorption of nutrients is preferable as mixumum 50 ppb.of TDS. Better to insist on above figure and in case any farmer requires, he may utilize the water through water treatment plant. Be certain that hard water inhibits nutrients bioavailibility.

Join Engormix and be part of the largest agribusiness social network in the world.
LoginRegister