Explore
Communities in English
Advertise on Engormix

Pellet Quality and Nutrient Segregation on the Farm

Published: February 14, 2020
John Boney (Penn State) discussed his recent research on pellets and flock uniformity in poultry farms and processing plants, during IPPE 2020 in Atlanta, USA.
Related topics
Authors:
John Boney
PennState - University Pennsylvania State
Follow
Influencers who recommended :
Guillermo Fondevila
Join to be able to comment.
Once you join Engormix, you will be able to participate in all content and forums.
* Required information
Would you like to discuss another topic? Create a new post to engage with experts in the community.
Create a post
seçkin tümer
Vimar Animal Health
26 de febrero de 2020

Dear John I wish you are ok,

Could you send me your pellet Quality production details?

Best regards.

John Boney
18 de marzo de 2020
I will share this data when it is released for publication. Thank you
Leon Vaessen
Perstorp Feed & Food
19 de marzo de 2020
John Boney Hi John, I am also interested in the publication Kind Regards Leon Vaessen Perstorp Animal Nutrition (we have a branche in Toledo - USA)
Sushil Chandra
12 de marzo de 2020

Dear John,
Thanks for your video on pellet quality and segregation of nutrient. I am not very clear as what u would like to suggest pellet feed millers
Can u please elaborate in the form of text about your findings on performance of broiler diet on your research, please? 
Regards,
Dr. Chandra.

John Boney
18 de marzo de 2020
The ultimate goal of this research is to continue providing data to feed millers that suggests improvements to pellet quality yields a positive return on investment. The literature supports improved performance with increased pellet quality. Now I am working to quantify the improvements to flock uniformity stemming from reduced nutrient segregation as a result of improving pellet quality.
Frederick Bethel Saduwa
12 de marzo de 2020
I would like him to please fully turn out his research to me for proper study. I promise to engage with him in the future for further businesses.
Md. Saidur Rahman Sarker
14 de marzo de 2020
Could you please send the details formula of cattle and dairy?
John Boney
18 de marzo de 2020
Md. Saidur Rahman Sarker This work focuses on broiler chicken feed. I have not studied feed form and nutrient segregation in beef or dairy cattle.
Anyanwu Dominic Ifeanyi Dan
17 de marzo de 2020

I know that pellet quality has a lot to do with nutrient availability, and of course, shelflife.
Can John please explain his topic implication and then his result?

John Boney
18 de marzo de 2020
The objective of this continuing research is to determine if investing in improvements to feed form (improving pellet quality) can reduce on-farm nutrient segregation. The literature supports improved broiler and turkey performance following feed form improvements. Ultimately, these results should help feed millers understand the importance of investing in feed form improvements.
Anyanwu Dominic Ifeanyi Dan
20 de marzo de 2020

John Boney, I have more appreciation of your research now. It is worthwhile.

Can you be specific on the pellet qualities, qualitatively and quantitatively, that gave you good and improved results.
Thanks.

Adam Fahrenholz
North Carolina State University - NCSU
19 de marzo de 2020
I would also point out that pelleting strategy plays a role here. Improved quality has often been shown to improve efficiencies, and now this and similar data is providing a good focus on impacts related to segregation. However, we also have data that demonstrates that common methods for improving quality (high conditioning temperatures and retention times, thicker pellet dies, lower throughputs) may significantly impact viability of nutrients.
Joshua A. Jendza
Qualitech
26 de marzo de 2020

Adam Fahrenholz - That is a point that doesn't get enough attention. Some ways to improve pellet quality can damage nutrients. Reza Abudollahi at Massey has done a lot to explore this aspect. Unfortunately I don't see that his work gets much attention stateside.

A durable pellet at too large a cost in terms of nutrient availability doesn't pay for iteslf.

Adam Fahrenholz
North Carolina State University - NCSU
26 de marzo de 2020
Joshua Jendza Agreed, there's been some really good and applicable work out of that group at Massey.
Muhammad Farooq
20 de abril de 2020
Adam Fahrenholz deffinately high conditioning improve nutrient availability and and FCR ultimately and maintain hygienic conditions of feed.pellet die thickness and holes size both contribute to pellet quality.
CHOI, YOUNGSOO
23 de marzo de 2020
My suggestion is that if SEGREGATION PIPE is installed in the bulk bin of the farm, the separation of feed will be solved. THANKS, CHOI
CHOI, YOUNGSOO
25 de marzo de 2020
CHOI, YOUNGSOO Hello ! I would like to suggest my proposal for the separation of farm bins from pellet feeds as follows. 1) 4 TON PELLET FEED is usually supplied from 35 minutes to 40 minutes from bulk vehicles when supplying farm bins. 2) PELLET and MASH FEEDS prevent separation of feed by installing a separation prevention device in the bin. THANKS, CHOI
Mike Stahl
3 de abril de 2020

CHOI, YOUNGSOO Do you have any ideas what a segregation pipe would look like or if there is a source?

Thanks, Mike.

Christopher Brathwaite
Roberts Manufacturing Company ( Pinnacle Feeds )
25 de marzo de 2020

Pellet quality is very important, the gelatinization of all nutrients is vital since the separation of pellet before hitting the gut of any animal, especially poultry -be reminded the power of the gizzard: it is a great crusher plus the gain weights are crucial for farmers. The pellet needs to be intact but for ruminants-, goats, sheep. Too hard a pellet can cause choking, especially for lambs.
The key is to ensure there is a balance of durability, to get through the rigors of transporting to farm and the various augers leaving the processing plant.

Sushil Chandra
25 de marzo de 2020
I am still waiting for proper response from Fr Jhon on the issue please Regards
Mike Stahl
2 de abril de 2020

As a farmer i see there is definitely separation of feed in the bin and in the flex augers. I would like to hear more on devices that can be installed in the bins to prevent this problem.
Anybody have suggestions on what a segregation looks like? Especially in the layer industry where large particle is added.

George Entz
23 de julio de 2021
Mike Stahl, I know I'm late to respond to this tread, but if you happen to blow your feed from the mill to the bins, maybe look into getting a "cyclone" on top of the bin and also a 12 inch pipe with 4 inch holes made all along that pipe and have it hanging in the bin so that the feed that is blown/delivered from the mill will first fall into the 12 inch pipe and then flow out into the bin evenly via the 4 inch holes. Pipe will be 2 feet of the bottom and will go up all the way into the supply. The "cyclone" is a cone-shaped, 30" high contraption, where the pipe enters into from the side towards the top, at an angle, and it make the feed go around and slows it down and then drop instead of blowing it straight down. Another idea if you have the option is not to make a week supply of feed but rather a few days at a time. Just some food for thought,
Greg Connors
Ridley Corporation Limited
2 de abril de 2020
Hi John, In regards to flock uniformity, we find the birds ate the end of the feed lines are generally heavier at a given age due to the significantly reduced levels of fines. The challenge we have here (as with most feed millers I suspect) is they push the throughput to spread their fixed costs which can often impact on pellet quality. If you can quantify the improvement in things like flock uniformity and the significant financial benefits from this it will add great weight to supporting feed millers to focus on pellet quality.
Sushil Chandra
3 de abril de 2020

Kindly add pellet binder like bentonite @1% in the mixer and also 1 litre of geltin to make pellet slightly harder which will reduce powder % and segregation will reduce.
Regard.

Jim Crouch
1 de mayo de 2020
3yy6 uth U 77 uh
Lawal Sesan
11 de mayo de 2020

Pelleting farm animal feed reduces feed wastage and make all the feed ingredients consumed as compounded but this may be expensive in some parts of Africa or even cause increase in cost of production.

Lawal Sesan
11 de mayo de 2020
In most parts of Africa, there is serious competition between human being and farm animals for energy and protein source feed ingredients this therefore calls for alternative feed ingredients like Jatropha. Delonix regis and Locust beans but the problems of anti nutrients makes most of these alternatives ingredients useless and this makes the cost of poultry meat very expensive
Dr. Rama Prasad Chakraborty
29 de mayo de 2020

Lawal Sesan
I do concede your apprehension that the prevailing inflated cost of raw materials while computing ration to poultry does not permit due room to accomodate additional cost through pelletisation.
My recommendation is to go in incorporating unconventional items containing some toxic factors judicially as a measure on controlling cost and get those feed to undergo pelletisation under exposure to steam to enhance digestibility apart from reducing the I'll effect of antinutritional factors inherited by some ingredients being used at your end. The aftermath of these findings would certainly arrive to your satisfactory level.

Sushil Chandra
13 de mayo de 2020
Mr Sesan Pelleting does increase the cost of production as compared to mash but u look into efficiency of pellet, it’s much more better in terms of FCR, feed wastage, energy utilised by birds for prehenson of feed With one pick of pellet complete feed goes into bird. More pellet is geletenised and cooked food thus BV of pellet is much better than mash Regards Dr Chandra
Mohsen Teimury
26 de mayo de 2020
Sushil Chandra Pellet can be better than mash because that can verify the eating pattern, I think.
Jonathan mpande
10 de junio de 2020
Sushil Chandra , in a situation, were cane molasses is used in the feed formulation, is it right to use as well bentonite@1% and gelatin?
Mohsen Teimury
26 de mayo de 2020
Pellet can be better than mash because that can verify the eating pattern, I think.
Mohsen Teimury
26 de mayo de 2020

In my idea, pelleting has four benefits. In brief:
1. Improvement of bioavailability
2. Change in pick of feed and Improvment of FCR, BWG, FI.
3. Energy saving
4. Reducing pathogenic factors

Sushil Chandra
26 de mayo de 2020

Dear Mr Mohsin
I fully endorse your observation about pelleted performance over mash.
Regards
Dr Chandra

dan hofer
26 de mayo de 2020
We feed mash on our farm and it’s better than pallets because it’s the same every time pallets sometimes fall apart than u get dusty feed broilers don’t like eating dusty feed
Join Engormix and be part of the largest agribusiness social network in the world.
LoginRegister