Explore
Communities in English
Advertise on Engormix

Ascites in Broiler Chickens

Ascites (Water Belly) in Broiler Chickens during Winter Season

Published: December 19, 2011
Summary
Ascites (or water belly) is a condition of fast growing broiler chickens in which the excess amount of ascitic fluid accumulated in the abdominal cavity. It has become major concern to the poultry industry around the world. This condition is extremely common in high altitude & more particularly during winter / cooler season. Ascites is associated with inadequate supply of oxygen, poor vent...
Related topics:
Authors:
Ganesh Kumar Dahal
Guybro Chemical
Influencers who recommended :
Emad Elgazzar
Recommend
Comment
Dr. Rama Prasad Chakraborty
9 de noviembre de 2015
Mr.Christopher.Something positive has been spoken at your end.Please specify the doses of individual chemicals to arrest Ascites at the earliest including your findings as well.
Recommend
Stephen Adejoro Dr
Soavet
10 de septiembre de 2020
Dr. Rama Prasad Chakraborty From my experience here in Nigeria addition of 70%Betaine with vitamins is very effective in managing Ascites at an inclusion rate of just 400,gram per Ton of feed used in seven days
Recommend
BAWINDSOMDE OUEDRAOGO
15 de julio de 2022
Stephen Adejoro It s been.a long time.I ve read from you. Thank you very much for so much tips. Bawindsomde from Burkina
Recommend
Stephen Adejoro Dr
Soavet
17 de julio de 2022

BAWINDSOMDE OUEDRAOGO
Thank you Bawindsomde for some time I have been very busy with my NGO livestock industry foundation for Africa sharing knowledge on poultry health and nutrition as facts from the implications of climate change on the poultry industry of the sub Saharan Africa.
lIFA is I'm partnership with Zoetis Alpha initiative on this initiative for Nigeria from 2017-2022, and have impacted over 5000 poultry farmers and value chain participants in all the six agroecological regions of Nigeria despite covid 19 limitations.
The success stories of this initiative is now been surported by Zoetis foundation for an extension to six West African countries
The first series of countries selected for West Africa include three Anglophone and three Francophone countries respectively.
lIFA is collaborating with Anisk language.

Recommend
9 de noviembre de 2015
Mr.Christopher.Thanks to listen something positive at your end.Please share the doses of those chemicals and your findings as well to all fraternity.
Recommend
Deborah Bino
9 de noviembre de 2015
If you kept your chicken houses CLEAN, (and I mean clean enough for YOU to live in) - then if you give your chickens some warmth, no ammonia will be present to impact their environment, steal their oxygen, and raise hell with their systems.
Recommend
9 de noviembre de 2015
Nothing clear about the extent of cleaniness to adopt,the sanitization method,in house temperature,the space to be alloted to each bird,the height of ceiling of the house etc.Hence give specific data not anything superficial to make this page unimportant.
Recommend
Surinder Maini
10 de noviembre de 2015
Ascites is undoubtedly a metabolic disorder seen during winter months, a well planned heating, ventilation and adjusting nutritrition program can only solve the problem, medicines, chemicals and kidney function improvers will hardly help.
Recommend
Dr.muhammad Zahid Farooq
11 de noviembre de 2015
Root cause is provision of oxygen So improve mangemnt ie ventillation rather preserving temp. Ventillation is primary ,temp is secondary Cost of fuel will be less than loss due to water balley Dnt dilute feed .it will affect overall efficency. Only improve ventillation reduce ammonia level to perform lungs normaly
Recommend
Mahmoud Seddeek
29 de diciembre de 2015
Ascites may be asequelle to condition known sudden death syndrome mainly associated will less oxygen content and high feed conversion after 28 day of age and other factors such as high altitude, mycotoxins,renal failure
Recommend
Dr.Mobinur Islam
29 de diciembre de 2015
Strategies to Alleviate the Incidence of Ascites in Broilers are 1. Higher level of Vitamin C, Vitamin E & Se ( 500ppm VitC) 2. Addition of Sodium bicarbonate 1% 3. Addition of 0.2% Aspirin 4. Feed Restriction
Recommend
Ahmed Hamouda
4 de octubre de 2018

Dr.Mobinur Islam DR Can you explain the mode of action of aspirin?

Recommend
shariful
29 de diciembre de 2022
Ahmed Hamouda vesodilation
Recommend
Bouayad
9 de marzo de 2016
bonjour elle est due manque d'oxygene ou rachitisme donc cavite thoracique etroite donc poumons petits atteintes microbienne du poumon (e.coli ,pasteurelles,aspergilose )donc moins d'espace dans le poumon hypertension de l('artere pulmonaire d'ou ascite atteinte du foie (clostridiose) temps froid donc le poussin va rechauffer son milieu et cela par l'augmentation de la circulation de sang dans les poumons pour donnez de la chaleur et donc ascite
Recommend
Harish Murty
12 de marzo de 2016
Klinofeed a unique mycotoxin and ammonia binder from swiss company works very well in such cases can be ised it helps in reducing ammonia and within 5 days visible results can be seen
Recommend
Jodh singh
11 de julio de 2018

What’s is the role of toxin binder in ammonia?

Recommend
Harish Murty
19 de julio de 2018

Jodh singh. Please visit uni point Ag website for technical details.

Recommend
nosheen naheed
14 de abril de 2016
water belly is a condition due to improper ventilation..mostly during minimum ventilation...ammonia toxicity causes the ascites. if we can humidity level low than we control the cases of ascites..during racking use extra fans.inlets open during this condition..
Recommend
Dr. Ali junaid
23 de mayo de 2018

Ascites also happens in respiratory diseases when lungs are damaged.

Recommend
Uloma Blessing
22 de septiembre de 2018
This is exactly what am passing through in my farm. they are also gasping. Pls what do I do for the gasping?
Recommend
Surinder Khanna
22 de noviembre de 2018

Increase night ventilation as feed consumption is bigger during night hours but oxygen availability is less due to fully packed sheds litter
depth is major reason for ammonia. Due to cost factor, its depth has been reduced as we don't have ac vehicles, chills during transportation and fluctuation in weather first week in brooders promote ascitis.

Recommend
Goodsons Mukosa Mpumba
6 de julio de 2019

The article seems to be old but I have been very much helped. I have so far lost 5 birds which hard the signs of ascites. They started exhibiting those signs in week three, they are now in week 4. Just lost one this morning. I am hoping to work on the good suggestions here. Thank you

Recommend
Rumbidzai
Solusi University
10 de julio de 2019

My broiler chicks are dying of Ascites. What type of treatment am I supposed to use? Can I use colaxan WS or piperin?

Recommend
Bernard njau
18 de julio de 2019

Is there a medicine we can use to control waterbelly?

Recommend
Stephen Adejoro Dr
Soavet
7 de enero de 2020

I believe in the dietary application of organic Betaine in the management of Ascitis in broiler. Why? Because Betaine stabilize intracellular homeostasis by increasing internal cell osmolarity there by preventing water loss to the peritoneum
Betaine also assist to minimize wet litter thereby improving oxygen by minimizing Amonia release
Betaine intermediate metabolism releases nitric oxide a chemical that help tibdilate the blood vessels and help them supply a better oxygen to lungs heart ,and other organs
So if Ascitis is linked with low oxygen level it follows that the effect if Betaine on blood vessel dilation will improve oxygen transport to the tissues
Today I am seriously promoting a form of organic Betaine blended with vitamins in Nigeria with satisfactory empirical data
Organic Betaine is critical in the dietary management of extreme heat and cold in humid tropical climate like in the South Sahara Africa.

Recommend
Mete Aydın
YEDI VET TARIMSAL FAA. TIC. VE LTD. STI
28 de julio de 2021

Stephen Adejoro Dr, when I see ascites in Broiler farm which dose of what is your advice dose natural Betaine for broiler? In ascites, heat stress or before slaughterhouse.

Recommend
Ken Mbulo
26 de junio de 2020

Very helpful information as this is what am going through in my chicken run. So far 10 birds aged 5 weeks have died.

Recommend
Md Golam Yasin
7 de enero de 2021
Causes of ascites after 25 days in broiler
Recommend
Profile picture
Would you like to discuss another topic? Create a new post to engage with experts in the community.
Join Engormix and be part of the largest agribusiness social network in the world.