Explore
Communities in English
Advertise on Engormix

Showing extremely fragile liver

Published: June 10, 2015
By: Dr. Manoj Kumar Mahato

Dear colleagues,

This is a case of a 6000 layers flock, 36 weeks of age. 1.5 months ago the flock was suspected and tested for salmonellosis which came out to be positive. The flock was treated with gentamicin and bcomplex injection for 3 consecutive days. The mortality was reduced for a few days but then it increased again. The post mortem lesions show extremely fragile liver and blackish necrotic mucosa at the duodenal part. Copper sulphate and vinegar was given in drinking water but mortality was not controlled, 15-20 per day.

Please suggest me the best measure for controlling mortality.

Related topics
Authors:
Manoj Kr Mahato
Asian Feeds
Recommend
Comment
Chakma Rupen
25 de junio de 2015
Dear Dr.Manoj Best wishes to you,I think in the mean time you could able to solve the problem. Many vet joined & discussed about your topic-"Extremely fragile liver "in 36 weeks of layer flock, here one thing is very important that we have to solve the problem very immediately,there is no scope to kill the time & wait for his to-pathology ,or other time consuming lab. procedure,this line helps us to treat future cases, but as a practitioner I should think about the emergency ,rapid test procedures . You know in poultry flock single disease is rare,there must be mixed infection,as your photograph , I think this is the case of FLHS complicated with salmonella infection,we know this organism became resistant to antimicrobial very easily,so in this case combined medicine will work better, and feed formulation should be adjusted,I think you know the symptomatic treatment very well.In my opinion, these should be the line of treatment .thanks
Recommend
Andrew Sivaram
26 de junio de 2015
I advise checking the layer feed formulation carefully. Using high levels of starch-rich ingredients especially Broken Rice and vegetable oil can cause fat accumulation in the liver. The risk is increased if the protein, essential amino acid levels (especially methionine) and choline levels are also low. A liver fully infiltrated with fats will have the consistency of jelly and in our hot weather, will literally "melt" once the post-mortem is done on a freshly killed hen.
Recommend
Aoun Khan
26 de junio de 2015
Asslam o Alaikum everyone. .....as told by the host flock is positive for salmonella. ....so ist treat salmonella with pure chlortetracylin......and also give organic acids in drinking water ....both for 5days ...2 days break and then 5days .............
Recommend
Pavel Melnikov
MVService
26 de junio de 2015
Hi! Try to use L-carnitin with vitamin E and methionine within 7-10 days + use Carbovet in a dose of 3 kg/MT feed within at least 30 days + prevention of dehydration.
Recommend
Dr Prasad Kulkarni
Adisseo
27 de junio de 2015
It's quite late to comment. Looking at history predict choline deficient and high energy diet. I can share my experience with you. Providing Choline chloride supplementation (with balanced diet in-fact) Can check the mortality in 3 to 5 days. If possible give CC through water for 5 days. To achieve less feed intake these days high energy diet has become common in commercial feed.
Recommend
Slausgalvis Virginijus
29 de junio de 2015
Check choline chloride, metionone and antioxydant level in the feed check raw materials against rancidity
Recommend
Narayan Banik
30 de junio de 2015
A lot of discussion or suggestion have taken by many respected proffesional in that situation I am interested to know what actual method were followed by the author
Recommend
Nabil
4 de julio de 2015
If there is alot of fat in the abdominal cavity and fragile liver use colin chloride in drinking water for 10 days and use any antibiotic to eleminate E coli and try to chick your feed energy
Recommend
Raymond Bunda
20 de agosto de 2015
thank u so much for such a very educative forum conversation, really do adds up a lot of ideas... I always read and weights and consider bundles of imformation here then apply it in my gamefowl, well anyway feathered warriors are one family of Avian, so theres no differences in terms of medication, diagnostic , feeding, vaccination, the only different is we brought ip our feathered warriors back into its nature a Bird which trive outside and fly up to the highest branches... more power to you all good sir's and Doc's PS ; All the products , techniques, premixes and theories in here are all applied and are used in our cockfighting now a Days
Recommend
Abdelaziz Abdelfatah Abdelmotii Ebrahim
1 de septiembre de 2015
i think this problem related to fatty liver syndrome and i think using of gentamycine as injection is not preferable in this situation please see carfully your feed using of livertonic and biotine derivatieves in solving of this problem thank you dr abdelaziz egypt
Recommend
Jaster John Flores Iligan
7 de septiembre de 2015
How about if we have a case in fatty lever what is the possible nutritional cause in that certain problem.
Recommend
Dr.Mobinur Islam
5 de octubre de 2015
in that case Toxol can be used
Recommend
Dr. Mohammad Akram
27 de enero de 2017

Most probably, it is a case of Fatty Liver Syndrome.

Possible causes could be:
Deficiency of Lipotropic factors (choline, methionin & Vit. B-12).
Excessive feed intake due to low protein and high energy.
Presence of high levels of Mycotoxins & Molds in feed.

Possible control measures:-
Addition of these items(additional) / ton of feed: CuSo4 = 60 gm, Choline chloride =500 gm, DL-Methionine= 500 gm, Vit B-12= 3 ug & Vit E= 5000 i.u. till recovery of problem.

For immediate relief, a good liver tonic via D/Water 3-5 days, prior to add the above items shall be beneficial.

Increase 1-2 % protein in feed.

Dr. Mohammad, Consultant Microbiologist, Micro Lab Karachi, Pakistan

Recommend
Sataluri Satagopa Raja Ayyangar
Synergy Biorefineries Pvt
27 de enero de 2017
Every body is trying to control the diseases with synthetic drugs and with antibiotics which cause the problem to the end user. and costly affair .Why you are all not trying with Herbal like Kirathiktha ,Tippa tega and Bhumyamlaki ,Aromatic oils like Clove oil,Eucalyptus oil, Natural C vitamin like Indian Gooseberry, Bakuchi seeds which develope immune system , effective in liver functioning and control bacteria .Ultimately no drug residue and Echofree. Lot of research to be done on Natural products for controlling the diseases by which world will become free from Cancer causing chemicals.
Recommend
Kamaran Abbas
29 de enero de 2017
I agree with you strongly , and I suggest to supply animal feeds with the natural form of those you mentioned herbs or others maybe found
Recommend
Tawfik
29 de enero de 2017

But how we can get it in Jordan?

Recommend
Ismet Mamode
Food & Allied Group of Companies
30 de enero de 2017
I agree with Dr. Ahmed Din Anjum. Whenever, I have such a case, I shall take the samples and send them for a patho histological examination. I shall do a culture of the BLACKISH mesentery. For layers, any antibiotic treatment will mean to destroy the eggs during the period of treatment and the withdrawal period. It is a big loss to the farmer. The problem of Salmonella in layers is a serious issue. I hope that the situation is now under control.
Recommend
Dr.turki Sarakbi
Sarvet Poultry
30 de enero de 2017
Also, please check Mycotoxicosis
Recommend
cherukuri choudary
19 de marzo de 2017
Fragile livers are due to mycotoxicosis,fowl cholera,hence depending on the laboratory examination,treatment should be followed. For treatment of liver recovery ayurvedic and herbal products can be tried without any p>roblem.In case of fowl cholera antibiotics such as pencillin streptomycin combination should be used to control the problem. `
Recommend
Profile picture
Would you like to discuss another topic? Create a new post to engage with experts in the community.
Join Engormix and be part of the largest agribusiness social network in the world.