Explore
Communities in English
Advertise on Engormix

Role of Betaine as a Methyl Group Donor

Published: February 10, 2021
Can betaine replace any methione? Ana Gavrau, Global Technical Product Manager at Agrana, answers this questions and goes deeper on the function of betaine in poultry nutrition in this video.
Related topics
Authors:
Ana Gavrӑu
AGRANA GROUP
Follow
Influencers who recommended :
Maqsood Jaffery, Anna Catharina Berge
Join to be able to comment.
Once you join Engormix, you will be able to participate in all content and forums.
* Required information
Would you like to discuss another topic? Create a new post to engage with experts in the community.
Create a post
Saifur Rahaman
23 de julio de 2021
Betaine work as osmoregulation, but how it is work as choline?
Ana Gavrӑu
AGRANA GROUP
4 de agosto de 2021
Dear Saifur Rahaman, The role of Choline in the methylation cycle, more exactly in the remethylation of homocysteine to methionine, is fulfilled by Betaine, becasue Choline needs to be converted first, via two steps into Betaine, and only then can act as a methyl group donor. Therefore, Betaine as a methyl group donor is more efficient than choline, because it can donate the needed methyl group directly via the enzyme BHMT, without any metabolic conversion step. We do not question the role of choline, we say that there is enough native choline in the feed materials to fulfill the other functions of choline for phospholipid synthesis and formation of acethyl choline. All best and kind regards, Ana Gavrau
Daniel Carlos Besso
CADIA - Centro Argentino de Ingenieros Agrónomos
5 de agosto de 2021
When I was studying at the university, the subject "biological chemistry" (1971) already mentioned the relationship between betaine and methionine. But in turn, also in nutritional terms in poultry farming, methionine could be interconverted into cystine and vice versa. Choline also appeared as a methyl donor. My experience in this question is that it is a metabolic question where it is not clear what the needs of each particular thing are, if it is not taken as a whole. I must clarify that the professionals of animal nutrition, in our country, do not have the means for such research. So let's do what we can. Also all these substances, which are usually used as liver protectors, are administered together with INOSITOL. I apologize for my english from google translator.
MOSES BAHAGO
15 de agosto de 2021
Good observation though. It is equally important to note that such additives must be carefully added to avoid abnormality in the poultry performance
John Wills, PhD
11 de octubre de 2021
Feather picking can be reduced by adding 1 to 2 kg of of Mg and checking the DEB balance.
Mike Stahl
11 de octubre de 2021

John Wills, Ph
Thanks, John

what source of mg would you recommend, mostly for layers.

George Entz
12 de octubre de 2021

Mike Stahl,

Check your fiber, sodium levels as well.

John Wills, PhD
12 de octubre de 2021
Currently MgO
Thang Le
5 de noviembre de 2021
Betaine HCl and Betaine andhydrous; what happend when I use Betaine HCL replace Betaine Andhydrous in Poultry; Wet-dropping can be; Please help me!
Dr Piotr Stanislawski
dsm-firmenich
7 de noviembre de 2021
Thang Le- you should not to notice any difference with proper recalculation betaine inclusion Anhydrous is noticed to be slightly better for osmotic stress because of its polarisation Correct a bit Cl in your feed If required for proper electrolitic balance
Thang Le
8 de noviembre de 2021
Thank you so much, Dr Piotr Stanislawski!
Seyed javad ghodsi khorsand
2 de diciembre de 2021
It should be noted that betaine is a direct methyl donor and choline in the process of producing betaine produces a by-product called acetylcholine. Acetylcholine causes a feeling of tiredness. Excretion of acetylcholine is done with the help of arginine, and the combination of arginine and acetylcholine and excretion of acetylcholine reduces arginine. Arginine deficiency means reduced immunity and stunted growth. In broiler farms that are under stress density or temperature. The need for betaine increases. Conversion of choline to betaine eliminates this deficiency. However, the increase in acetylcholine due to the production of betaine from acetylcholine also reduces feed consumption due to low herd movement. Weak immune system is also caused by a decrease in arginine. And if betaine is not added to food, lameness due to choline deficiency occurs like varus.
Join Engormix and be part of the largest agribusiness social network in the world.
LoginRegister