Explore
Communities in English
Advertise on Engormix

Infectious Coryza

Published: June 23, 2016
Summary
Introduction Infectious Coryza is a highly contagious bacterial disease caused by Avibacterium paragallinarum (formerly called Haemophilus paragallinarum). It often affects the upper respiratory tract of chickens (Gallus gallus) but has been also described in quails and parrots. Birds of all ages are susceptible. The disease is well known in laying hens although often goes unnoticed in subclin...
Related topics
Authors:
María Luciana Cigoy
Follow
Yosef Huberman
INTA Argentina
Follow
Horacio Raúl Terzolo
INTA Argentina
Follow
Influencers who recommended :
Ozlem SAHAN YAPICIER
Join to be able to comment.
Once you join Engormix, you will be able to participate in all content and forums.
* Required information
Would you like to discuss another topic? Create a new post to engage with experts in the community.
Create a post
Akpotoge israel
18 de junio de 2021

Good day every one, my farm is having serious problem with coryza. I collect point of lay from another farm. That was how it got into my farm, I did treatment with sufla and oxytra but the sickness left and resurface, it affected the the birds that some of them stop growing. I had to sell them and disinfect my farm. And collect new pullet. After three weeks I notice the new birds had contacted the croyza which broke the immune system and I lost 200 from the 800 I got. Now I have treated them. And they are about 7weeks now. Can I give the coryza vaccine? I need guideline on how to raise my pullet from 0-7 weeks before I can vaccinate them.

Yosef Huberman
INTA Argentina
26 de junio de 2021
Dear Akpotoge Israel Antibiotics will not eliminate Avibacterium paragallinarum from your farm. Some strains are very pathogenic, spread rapidly, and may cause high mortality. Vaccination is recommended of course with 2 doses to get the booster effect and improve protection.
Kasame Trakullerswilai
Saha Farms
30 de junio de 2021
might be poor biosecurity and some stressor that making bird weaken next flock if early challenge may first dose at 4-5 wk before break and 6 wk later after treatment a few week if look healthy 2 more different strain booster
Taha Taibeh
Del Monte Foods
30 de junio de 2021
Thanks for valuable information. Actualy we faced lately that challenge in broilers for (IC & H9N2) & ND was detected on some farms the mortality rate between 20-40% despite the using of AB like Erythromicin.. The signs start bet (14-26 day) & fcr sharply retarded. I can share some photos with you that shows disaster signs (bloody congested trachea). If you have any advice please.. Thanks
Yosef Huberman
INTA Argentina
30 de junio de 2021
Taha Taibeh In this case, it is quite obvious that your birds are stressed and probably their immune system is not functioning. IC strains might be lethal and of course when other agents are involved as well. We did try vaccinating broilers on day 1 (https://doi.org/10.1637/9463-071610-ResNote.1) with fair results. If you can get to include your local strain in the bacterin you should be able to diminish clinical signs and maybe mortality as well. Of course, biosecurity should be improved to avoid other stressful factors like IA, ND and others.
Kasame Trakullerswilai
Saha Farms
1 de julio de 2021
Taha Taibeh necropsy for ND,AI.ILT and laboratory could help IC may not a core problem at early age like that Isolation and at least 1 month down time next flock
Dr Kotaiah Talapaneni
Indbro Research & Breeding Farms
1 de julio de 2021

Kasame Trakullerswilai
We never saw Infectious Coryza in birds below 7weeks of age.
Only symptoms are enough to differentiate Coryza from Other diseases
ND and AI. The mortality is very high. AI finished the flock in less than a weeks time and ND also caused heavy mortality. There is no time for the nasal secretions and swollen heads as we see in Coryza.
The morbidity is high in coryza and mortality in the first week is very low.
ILT also has less mortality but the signs are dry ( No nasal secretions and head swelling ( due to sinusitis)
We can recognize ILT by examining the Trachea of dead birds. We find blood in the trachea to start with as converts to mucous as the disease progresses. The mucous will accumulate in the form of mucous plugs at Larynx.
Coryza can be identified with history of dropped feed consumption and drop in production ( in layers)
Coryza can be treated with Antibiotics and there is no point in waiting for laboratory diagnosis.

Kasame Trakullerswilai
Saha Farms
2 de julio de 2021
Dr Kotaiah Talapaneni investigation for preparing of next flock thanks
Dr Kotaiah Talapaneni
2 de julio de 2021
Kasame Trakullerswilai if you are continuing with the same farm and same flocks, Give 1st dose of Coryza killed ( with A,B,C strains in 6th week 0.5ml by suncutaneous at Neck. Repeat after 3 weeks ie when the flock is 9weeks. You can be sure of escaping Coryza.
Taha Abdallah Altaibeh
2 de julio de 2021
Dr Kotaiah Talapaneni Thanks... We start to see IC signs first in critical age of broiler after 17d & it's respond to the treatment but its play as a key for other diseases mainly ND and AI H9N2 according to the pcr results ilt is negative. Thanks
Dr Kotaiah Talapaneni
3 de julio de 2021
Taha Abdallah Altaibeh coryza is never seen on 17days broilers. recheck your diagnosis at this stage. that can be I.b
Kasame Trakullerswilai
Saha Farms
4 de julio de 2021
Dr Kotaiah Talapaneni IF IC may be better protection but 2nd booster 6-8 wks is better than 3 wks interval and better management is required , COMPLICATED Problem
Dr Kotaiah Talapaneni
11 de diciembre de 2021

If infectious coryza attacks a flock in early growing stage (say below 10 weeks) the treatment with antibiotics is enough. The disease spreads fast and the flock becomes immune for life. The flock does not require vaccination. Prompt treatment and biosecurity keeps the mortality under control.
If the disease occurs on a multiage group farm for the first time where the vaccination was not being practiced, better go for the vaccination for the healthy flocks and tighten the biosecurity. The damage to the farm will be less.

Habib Nur
26 de febrero de 2023

Dear Sir,
Here I came to know that IC Vaccination of Laying bird is allowed if the bird mistakenly not done any Coryza Vaccination before production stage.
Here in Bangladesh, I have a coryza Case treated with Sulfanamide with Erythromycin but after few days it is repeatedly happened. So i want to do inactivated vaccine for permanent immunization.

Yosef Huberman
INTA Argentina
27 de febrero de 2023

Dear Habib. The comments made by Dr. Kotaiah Talapaneni (11dic2021) are correct. Recuperated birds will have immunity if infected during rearing. You may vaccinate healthy birds. If antibiotics do not help, you should send samples for isolation of Avibacterium paragallinarum and have them make a sensibility test and select the correct antibiotic.
Vaccination may boost immunization and protection.

Habib Nur
27 de febrero de 2023
Dear Yusef Huberman Sir,thanks for your kind reply.
Join Engormix and be part of the largest agribusiness social network in the world.
LoginRegister