Explore
Communities in English
Advertise on Engormix

Reduction of bird heat stress. M. Czarick (University of Georgia)

Published: April 19, 2012
Dr. Mike Czarick, Senior Public Service Associate at University of Georgia, discusses the principles of keeping birds cold during hot weather during the XXII Latin American Poultry Congress, August 2011.
Related topics
Authors:
Mike Czarick
University of Georgia
Follow
Influencers who recommended :
Danial Farhadi
Join to be able to comment.
Once you join Engormix, you will be able to participate in all content and forums.
* Required information
Would you like to discuss another topic? Create a new post to engage with experts in the community.
Create a post
Dr Shakeel Ahmad
Bahauddin Zakariya University
7 de julio de 2018
We can also minimize heat stress by increasing the vegetable oils content in feed as well using some stable vitamin C and electrolytes in drinking water.
Antônio Mário Penz Junior
Cargill
7 de julio de 2018

I totally agree, Mike! Sometimes I see people treating the water with no water analysis.

Wahmed Ahmed
CPC - Cairo Poultry Company
8 de julio de 2018

Dear Dr. Czarick

So many thanks for your presentation. I have a question for you relating to Grandparents:
Referring to a Broiler Breeders Grandparents male house, some growers argue that this type of heavy-weight birds are sensitive to increased air speed mainly for fear of early molting “considering the genetics issue” (the air speed does not exceed 1.7 m / s during production)!

We found panting birds, especially in the second half of the house out of the cooling area (closed system) when outside temperature rises to above 35 ° C. Is their argument considered a reasonable justification not to increase the speed of air above 1.7 m/s in houses of 14 meters wide with a length of 130 meters?

This house is newly constructed and well equipped in terms of cooling area, insulation and number of fans where the air speed reaches more than 2.5 m/s when all tunnel fans are running.

Regards,
Waheed M. Ahmed
Cairo Poultry Company
Egypt

Mike Czarick
University of Georgia
8 de julio de 2018

wahmed ahmed Nice to hear from you. During hot weather, you will not hurt breeders with an air speed of 3 m/sec let alone 1.7 m/sec. An air speed of 1.7 m/sec is very likely to result in heat stress when house temperatures are 26 C or warmer. An air speed of 2.5 m/sec is considered by most as the minimum tunnel air speed for breeders.

Robert Huggins
10 de julio de 2018

I agree with Dr. Czarick, producers add too many additives into the drinking water that may not be necessary and only increase production cost. I started with healthy hicks, gave vitamins in the water for the first week and just before and after vaccination to help them get over vaccine stress, made sure that the birds were comfortable, good ventilation, dry litter and other management steps that did not add unnecessary cost during the growing cycle.

Ghorbanali ( Amirali ) Sadeghi
University of Kurdistan
11 de julio de 2018

Dear Dr. Czarick

Thank you very much for your presentation. I have 2 questions for you.
1- In a region with hot summer and cold winter, which methods of ventilation will be correct. As we need minimum ventilation in cold weather and tunnel ventilation in summer.
2- In a region with hot and humid summer, what kind of ventilation could help us?

Best Regards
Ali

Robert Huggins
16 de julio de 2018
There is nothing wrong in using Aluminium sheets on poultry houses. This has been done in Trinidad for many years and unless producers have gone to using tunnel ventilation, they are probably still using Aluminium sheets painted white.
Jai Seemungal
23 de julio de 2018

We want to construct broiler tunnel houses 60 feet x 600 feet x 10 feet high at altitude 940m.
How much cooling pads and ventilation fan (54" 53000 m3/hr) should I use to obtain 2m/min air flow as mentioned in your video?

Mike Czarick
University of Georgia
23 de julio de 2018
Jai Seemungal In short... 60 X 10 X 600 ft/min = 360,000 cfm @ 0.15" pressure of tunnel fan capacity (3 m/sec air speed) 360,000 / 375 = 960 square feet of pads
Jai Seemungal
23 de julio de 2018

Dr. Mike Czarick thank you, that is the amount we calculated so we were on the right path. The amount of fans is where we are having some varying opinions. The fan we want to use is 54" 53000 m3/hr. also, the average outdoor temperature for 2017 has been 27 degrees Celsius and the average humidity is 75%. We want to achieve optimum air movement similar to that you recommend in the video. If you can share your thoughts on the number of fans we will be grateful. Thanks in advance.

Mike Czarick
University of Georgia
23 de julio de 2018
Jai Seemungal we don’t design based on averages but rather extremes
Jai Seemungal
23 de julio de 2018

Dr. Mike Czarick thank you for your response, the highest temperature recorded here is 39 degrees Celsius and the highest humidity is 87%.

Jai Seemungal
29 de julio de 2018
Jai Seemungal Any answer to my question
David Evans
23 de julio de 2018

I cannot answer this but it could be helpful for whoever attempts to for a temperature profile throughout the year at the location planned to be supplied.

Also whether you plan to use electricity from the grid or solar electricity production.

Jai Seemungal
23 de julio de 2018

David Evans Last year to to-date the average outdoor temperature has been 27 degrees Celsius and average humidity is 75%. We plan to use electricity from the grid. It is cheap here in Trinidad and Tobago.

Wahmed Ahmed
CPC - Cairo Poultry Company
29 de julio de 2018
Referring to your presentation on Reduction of bird heat stress, I have a question for you. If we are designing a Broiler Breeders Grandparents “male line heavy birds” modern closed house in a hot climate area. and it will have enough number of fans and cooling pads; which of the below two options would achieve better air speed uniformity above the birds, and would be more economic in terms of electricity consumption while reaching the proper static pressure, as houses of lower width would need less static pressure than the wider ones? Option # 1: House Dimensions: 85 x 12 (1020 m2) Option # 2: House Dimensions: 73 x 14 (1022 m2) ceiling height at both sides: 3 m. ceiling height at center: 3.7 m. Best Regards, Waheed M. Ahmed
Dr. Fiodor S. Marchenkov
Kronos -Agro private company
30 de julio de 2018

Dear Mr. Waheed M.Ahmed, from my opinion, geometry of poultry house is not important for temperature decreasing. Important is air volume (according to 1022 m2). Energy of water evaporation in both cases will be the same. Another matter is fans electric motors effectivity and proper fans sites. It is also different way to decrease electricity expenses: to add to the drinking water some anti-heat stress substances like citric acid, vitamins, betaine of special blends. It can help to increase the comfortable temperature for birds, and to spend less electricity.

Mike Czarick
University of Georgia
30 de julio de 2018
wahmed ahmed Both are very similar and therefore would have similar air speed and electricity costs. The optimal size may have to do more with which dimensions would be the best for the nests and slats if they are going to be used.
Nwose Roseline Nwuguru
14 de septiembre de 2019
Thanks Ali Ajiwad Rizvi for your advice and suggestions. I want to also add that in my last research, i reduced their feed during heat hours from 11 am to 4 pm and increased their water. And increased the feed during cooling hours from 5 pm till 11 am next day. This changing reduced the heat stress without any supplement used. Although, it affected the stock size but there was no mortality.
Dr Charles Ibe
15 de septiembre de 2019
Nwose Roseline Nwuguru you should have been dealing with broilers?
James Tuan
Sunwiin Chemicals
15 de septiembre de 2019
Betaine is highly effective in helping animals handle heat stress through its osmolyte function by keeping water inside the cells without using the Na+ ATP pump which not only consumes energy but also produces additional heat. We have found both lower body temperature and slower panting rate for betaine supplemented animals, resulting in improved intake and gain. Betaine HCl and Betaine Anhydrous work exactly the same way once they are dissolved because they actually exist in equilibrium. Since the pKa is 1.85 for betaine, that means at pH 1.85 50% of the betaine (whether it was consumed as betaine HCl or betaine anhydrous) exists in the protonated form and 50% in the counter-base (i.e. anhydrous) form. The chloride content of betaine HCl is negligible compared to what's already in the diet. Good quality synthetic betaine should work exactly the same as "natural" betaine at a fraction of the cost.
Magdi Afifi
4 de agosto de 2021

1- What is the best dimensions for poultry house to get Homogeneity of temp. Inside the house?

2- Are there differences in dimensions between broiler, breeder, grandparent?

Join Engormix and be part of the largest agribusiness social network in the world.
LoginRegister