Explore
Communities in English
Advertise on Engormix

Drinking water application of butyric acid in broilers - Justin Fowler

Published: March 28, 2018
Justin Fowler (University of Georgia) discussed his research on butyric acid and its protective effect against necrotic enteritis, while also comparing two applications (water and feed), during IPPE 2018 in Atlanta, USA.
Related topics
Authors:
Justin Fowler
University of Georgia
Follow
Join to be able to comment.
Once you join Engormix, you will be able to participate in all content and forums.
* Required information
Would you like to discuss another topic? Create a new post to engage with experts in the community.
Create a post
Dr Kishor Yembarwar
Ayugen Pharma Pvt. Ltd.
7 de mayo de 2018
Butyric acid is in which form esterified or sodium salt
Dr Kishor Yembarwar
Ayugen Pharma Pvt. Ltd.
7 de mayo de 2018
Can you post the exact dosage in water application
Dr Kishor Yembarwar
Ayugen Pharma Pvt. Ltd.
7 de mayo de 2018
Butyric acid on which form and exact dosage for water application Esterified form is better for it?
THOMPSON CHIMA
7 de mayo de 2018
How do butyriacid protects birds
Glenn Alfred S. Ferriol
Hamlet Protein
7 de mayo de 2018
How’s the smell?
Joshua A. Jendza
Qualitech
7 de mayo de 2018

I would suspect that the product is a butyrate salt. The IPSF abstract described by Dr. Fowler says "Butyrate" not "butyric acid". Salts are easy to make, and tend to be soluble in water. Which salt isn't clear though.

Dosage is definitely a good question though. The abstract does not indicate the dosage for feed or water that was used in the study. Seems like a pretty big oversight by the reviewers to leave that out. Can't assess practicality without knowing dosages.

Glenn Alfred S. Ferriol
Hamlet Protein
7 de mayo de 2018
Joshua Jendza you are right. Normally what is available in the market is In it’s salt form ( sodium or calcium) and it’s derivatives (Mono, Di, Tri-Butyrines, totally different form) as a pure butyric acid will be very difficult to handle. But even in a salt form, it can dissolve easily in the drinking water and solubilise, hence it may not reach the target area in the GIT.
Joshua A. Jendza
Qualitech
16 de julio de 2018

Glenn Alfred S. Ferriol
I think we can confirm that the salt used was Na-butyrate. A UGA student gave a presentation at the 2nd International Necrotic Enteritis Symposium last week. I believe that the student was from this lab, and he confirmed during the Q&A section after his presentation that they used Na-butyrate, despite referring to it as "butyric acid" in the abstract and throughout the presentation.

It's important to make clear the differences between butyric acid, butyrate salts and other stabilized forms like mono- di- and tri-butyrines. The first is able to have pH based effects, and the others are not. On the other hand, the butyrines are more stable and likely to reach the hind gut than the acid or the salt. The chemistry matters greatly to efficacy and reliable response in animals.

Safiul Alam
7 de mayo de 2018
How's the drinking dose of butyric acid and what concentration ?
Nizam Ali
7 de mayo de 2018

What is butyric acid and what it does? Also, what is the dosage?

Emmanuel Nwaotule
7 de mayo de 2018
Great thanks Doctor Justin Fowler for this interesting work on butyric acid. Pure butyric acid in itself would serve great purpose as gut modulator and growth promoter. In practical application, medication via drinking water tends to be more effective than via the feed as even sick birds tends to drink water during disease condition, hence the better result that was obtained when butyric acid was used via water than in feed. Please, what is the state of the product - solid or liquid ? .
Dr Piotr Stanislawski
dsm-firmenich
7 de mayo de 2018
I use butyrates (Na or Ca) in broiler feeds; powder, protected form. They work well in the gut -modulate the microbiota and protect willi. They are particulary useful when no feed antibiotic (AGP) is added. But the "job" must be done in lower gut (intestine) not in the stomach. Then my doubt is how they could pass the stomach without protection-via water. The positive result is proven for powder,protected form. And I'd keep it. Average dose 0,5-1,0 kg .
Amit Goswami
Nright Nutrition Pvt. Ltd
8 de mayo de 2018
dr Piotr Stanislawski I have similar view as well, unless the concept of application of Butyrates in protected form is proven to be erroneous or there is another explanation based on technology in this new application, which is not yet clear..
Julie von Hellens
SmartFeeds USA
16 de mayo de 2018
Amit Goswami Yes, you are correct. This is a new technology that makes it so effective both in feed and water.
Amit Goswami
7 de abril de 2020
Julie von Hellens Thanks Indeed for your response, and certainly interesting. However from Chemistry point of view, unless we get an idea of the technology involved it becomes difficult to perceive the efficacy of the product in water. Perhaps will also help in establishing confidence amongst the users. Stay Safe !!!
Drvishwaskisan Tiwari
8 de mayo de 2018
Dosages should be mentioned
Emad Elgazzar
AL WADI POULTRY FARMS COMPANY
10 de mayo de 2018

Great article thank you so much. I'd like to ask how could you protect butyrate (ca, sod.) salts to reach gut without change, not digested or absorbed, to do their action on intestinal villi.

Julie von Hellens
SmartFeeds USA
16 de mayo de 2018
Emad Elgazzar This product is unique and patented in how it is manufactured- so it can work longer in the GI tract. It is highly effective in feed and water.
Amit Goswami
22 de mayo de 2020
Julie von Hellens Thanks for mentioning that it is patented - perhaps I had missed it out in the earlier discussions. Could you share the patent number ( so that we may find information available in the public domain) and understand more about the product. Certainly a very interesting product, you have worked upon.
Abdul malek
12 de mayo de 2018
It's clear that butyric acid can improve gut health but it should be reach to the intestine. Water application without protection how can work perfectly?
Asghar Abbas
15 de mayo de 2018
it is write that Butyric acid supports the health and healing of cells in the small and large intestine. It’s also favored source of fuel for the cells lining the interior of the large intestine or colon but in viral out break it cant resist to virus so more research is required !......
dan hofer
15 de mayo de 2018
how many ppm of butyric acid should be used in feed
dan hofer
15 de mayo de 2018

Can anybody tell me at what point calcium is absorbed in broilers gut?

Eguaoje abiodun stanley
16 de mayo de 2018
The use of this synthetic product {butyrate} improves the gut performance for sure but we need to look at the residual effect on the body of the birds and its effect on the meat quality of the bird.
Julie von Hellens
SmartFeeds USA
16 de mayo de 2018
Eguaoje abiodun stanley There was a USDA study on meat quality. No residues were found in the meat tissue of birds given this product. The improvement effects on the body of the birds is also easily measurable with standard metrics.
Hendrik Sikma
16 de mayo de 2018
I think the best coating of the butyrates (calcium or sodium) is the coating with high melting point fats. They are not digested in the stomach and the enzymes are doing their work in the small intestine. There are no negativ effects on meat quality, butyrates are a natural product that is produced in the animal itself.
Tim Goossens
Adisseo
16 de mayo de 2018
Thanks for sharing your findings, dr. Fowler. I’m looking forward to the outcomes of your follow-up trials, and especially to the results on physiological and cell biological analyses that may underlie the observed benefits on health and performance. These are likely to be different for different butyrate products. Many tissues and cell types are potentially responsive to butyrate; the place where butyrate is absorbed and delivered will then determine which cells will be triggered, and which physiological responses will be modulated. A Ph.D.-student from Wageningen, Pierre Moquet, has recently looked into this. He found that products with a distinct butyrate release profile (unprotected butyrate, butyrate glycerides and precision-delivery coated butyrate) trigger different effects at the level of immune responses, gut microbial composition, digestive processes and amino acid availability. Studies as these and as the one described by dr. Fowler will be instrumental in defining what can be expected from different butyrate products, under several animal health status and rearing conditions.
doctor fuad
16 de mayo de 2018
I have a product having Ca Butyrate but it is used in feed. It is not for drinking water. Can you tell me the differnce in results if we are using in feed ?
Join Engormix and be part of the largest agribusiness social network in the world.
LoginRegister