Explore
Communities in English
Advertise on Engormix

Artificial Insemination: Troubleshooting to Improve Fertility

Published: June 7, 2018
Summary
Artificial insemination (AI), the foundation of modern-day turkey breeding, was first developed in 1937 at the Bureau of Animal Industry (now the Agricultural Research Service, US Department of Agriculture) by W. Burrows and J. Quinn. The procedure consists of two steps: first, the semen is collected from the tom and second, the semen is inseminated into the hen. What may transpire between collec...
Related topics
Authors:
Murray R. Bakst
USDA - United States Department of Agriculture
Follow
Influencers who recommended :
Sarzamin Khan
Join to be able to comment.
Once you join Engormix, you will be able to participate in all content and forums.
* Required information
Would you like to discuss another topic? Create a new post to engage with experts in the community.
Create a post
MUKHTAR AHMAD
13 de junio de 2018

How long turkey and chicken semen can be stored ...and how many times can be diluted?

Murray R. Bakst
15 de junio de 2018
MUKHTAR AHMAD Thank you for the question. Duration of semen storage and subsequent fertility is dependent on the experience of the crew handling the semen and inseminating the hens. With the proper semen diluent and under the right storage conditions, diluted chicken or turkey semen can be stored for 4 hr at around 10C without a negative impact on hen fertility. There are numerous commercially prepared semen diluents to choose from and I would suggest that you follow the accompanying directions with regard to the semen dilution rate (I usually use 1 part raw semen to 1 part diluent), storage temperature, and duration of storage. Remember that when storing turkey semen for longer than 30 min the semen must be agitated (in a shaker at 80rpms) as turkey sperm need to be oxygenated to survive. For more detailed information go to Google Scholar and search poultry semen storage.
Murray R. Bakst
15 de junio de 2018
MUKHTAR AHMAD: Thank you for the question. Duration of semen storage and subsequent fertility is dependent on the experience of the crew handling the semen and inseminating the hens. With the proper semen diluent and under the right storage conditions, diluted chicken or turkey semen can be stored for 4 hr at around 10C without a negative impact on hen fertility. There are numerous commercially prepared semen diluents to choose from and I would suggest that you follow the accompanying directions with regard to the semen dilution rate (I usually use 1 part raw semen to 1 part diluent), storage temperature, and duration of storage. Remember that when storing turkey semen for longer than 30 min the semen must be agitated (in a shaker at 80rpms) as turkey sperm need to be oxygenated to survive. For more detailed information go to Google Scholar and search poultry semen storage.
MUKHTAR AHMAD
15 de junio de 2018
Murray R. Bakst Thank you for your valuable time and information. What are the fertility and hatchability results if we will follow the procedure in chicken.
MUKHTAR AHMAD
15 de junio de 2018
Is it economical fr chicken
Murray R. Bakst
18 de junio de 2018
MUKHTAR AHMAD If you would like a 115 page manual covering important aspects of poultry artificial insemination and fertility evaluation techniques please email me so I can send a pdf to you.. Actually it is free to anyone who requests it. Murray Bakst
MUKHTAR AHMAD
18 de junio de 2018
Murray R. Bakst I have gone through some of your research articles regarding AI in poultry. You have done very interesting work on it. Thank you for sharing knowledge regarding it. You may reach me by ahmadmukhtar854@gmail.com
Sarzamin Khan
19 de junio de 2018
Murray R. Bakst Thanks sir for this generous offer. Would you please send me a copy on dr.zamin@aup.edu.pk.
Murray R. Bakst
22 de junio de 2018
MUKHTAR AHMAD sent manual as requested...good luck Murray
Murray R. Bakst
22 de junio de 2018
Sarzamin I get an error message using dr.zamin@aup.edu.pk. to forward manual. murray
MUKHTAR AHMAD
22 de junio de 2018
Murray R. Bakst Thank you sir for sharing such a good manual with all of us. Mukhtar Ahmad
E. Ernest M. Pierson
Silvateam
22 de junio de 2018
Murray R. Bakst Hi Murray, glad to see you still on the pitch promoting the other "AI". Would you please send me a copy of your PDF containing artificial insemination and fertility evaluation techniques? It occurs to me that an economic evaluation of AI in commercial broiler production may be in order as the production of fertile eggs and baby chicks is a often a bottleneck in the field. All the best, Ernie
Jodh singh
Nright Nutrition Pvt. Ltd
23 de junio de 2018
Murray R. Bakst its good information sir please send .pdf if possible . My mail id is jodhsinghtoor@gmail.com
Harun Ur Rashid
23 de junio de 2018
Murray R. Bakst Greetings! I would like to get one copy. harun@index-agro.com Thank you.
Murray R. Bakst
24 de junio de 2018
E. Ernest M. Pierson hey Ernie, hope all Is good for you and yours. An economic evaluation of artificial insemination has not been done, to my know knowledge, since the 90s. Please forward your email to me and I will forward the workbook to you. Murray
Sarzamin Khan
24 de junio de 2018

Murray R. Bakst
Thanks. One of my PhD student has worked on economic evaluation and hope I will share that soon after get published.I am working on the same project for looking the feasibility of shifting broiler breeder in cages to reduce health problems, feed cost and augment farmer's income through bio gas production and organic manure for orchards. AI will be the only option for fertility in that case. We have large number of no or low educated labor who could be trained and employed as AI technicians. Your inputs through my E mail will help me please
My email ID is: dr.zaminaup@gmail.com

Peter Njuguna Kamau
Kenana enterprises Kenya Ltd
28 de junio de 2018
Murray R. Bakst Thank you for offer. kindly send me a pdf copy of Poultry artficial insemination and fertility evaluation manual. I will be grateful
Ugur Akbas
29 de junio de 2018
MUKHTAR AHMAD Thanks a lot for sharing this valuable information. I'd like to have the copy. akbasugur@gmail.com
Murray R. Bakst
30 de junio de 2018
Peter Njuguna Kamau ...Please send your email address.
Adefalujo olutuyo
3 de julio de 2018
Please send me a copy @ tuyosi1706@yahoo.co.uk
Dr. Ashraf Ali Qureshi
15 de junio de 2018

Ideally, semen storage of cockrals will reduce the ability to fertilize germinal disc even if dilution or extender is used to store semen in a refrigerator. For best results use fresh semen mixed with 30% extender immediately and inject within 7-10 minutes of collection in summer and 10 to 15 minutes of collection in winter.

David Hoo
Tri Dinamika Nusantara
16 de junio de 2018
Does anyone can advice AI on swine?. Sorry
Carlos Avilan
Engormix
22 de junio de 2018

David Hoo You can read this technical article on Engormix: https://en.engormix.com/pig-industry/articles/artificial-insemination-pigs-research-t40422.htm.

If you need more information on the subject, click here: https://en.engormix.com/pig-industry/articles/swine-genetics-reproduction-103-324/.

Kind regards.

Murray R. Bakst
22 de junio de 2018
David Hoo Use the internet ... all that is printed is there. Try google or google scholar...Good luck. Murray
mst.dilruba begum
19 de junio de 2018
Dear sir, summer greetings from bangladesh and many more thanks for your consistent efforts. point to be noted that i have done MS degree for frozen semen production in black bengal goat with the assistance finance by USDA project. pls give me your valuable pdf file for research. SIR you will reach me through fk_ruba@yahoo.com With regards fazlul karim poultry development officer govt. poultry farm, rangpur, bangladesh.
Murray R. Bakst
22 de junio de 2018
mst.dilruba begum Forwarded to your email as requested...Murray
Md.akhtar-uz-zaman, Zaman
CVASU: Chittagong Veterinary and Animal Sciences University
26 de junio de 2018
I have been teaching poultry production for Veterinary students. Your Information may be helpful. Send at- zaman_65@hotmail.com
Murray R. Bakst
27 de junio de 2018
sent copy to zaman_65@hotmail.com
Narayan Reddy Dasari
28 de junio de 2018
Murray R Bakst sir can you please send copy of A I in poultry by mail My mail ID is. narayandasari@hotmail.com
Dr. Ashraf Ali Qureshi
28 de junio de 2018
Murray R Bakst Please send me a copy as well. My email is aaqureshi6666@hotmail.com. Thanks
Greta Van de Sompel
28 de junio de 2018
Dear Sir,Thank you very much for your offer. Can you please send a copy of AI in poultry to my email adress: johan.van.der.cruyssen@telenet.be Kind regards
William
29 de junio de 2018
Hello Murray great article
Murray R. Bakst
30 de junio de 2018

William, thanks. Murray.

David S. O. K. Quartey
17 de julio de 2018
Ineresting. Could you please send me a copy? davidquartey61@gmail.com Thank you
Hanaa Amin
29 de septiembre de 2019
Dear Dr Bakst, thank you for your article. Could you please send me a copy to my email address: ahanaa43@yahoo.com Thank you
Join Engormix and be part of the largest agribusiness social network in the world.
LoginRegister