Explore
Communities in English
Advertise on Engormix

Feeding fat to dairy cows: A complex subject

Published: July 12, 2018
Summary
Feeding fat and fat products to dairy cows is common on most, if not all, dairies. Understanding how to properly feed fats and fat products is another story and seems to change daily. This is especially true as we work to understand the roles various fat components (fatty acids) play in the animal in terms of production (volume and components), health and reproduction. And while it may not ...
Related topics
Authors:
Dr. Steve Blezinger
Reveille Livestock Concepts
Follow
Influencers who recommended :
Mariana Petkova, Alfredo J. Escribano
Join to be able to comment.
Once you join Engormix, you will be able to participate in all content and forums.
* Required information
Would you like to discuss another topic? Create a new post to engage with experts in the community.
Create a post
Sandra Baxendell
16 de julio de 2018
You might want to change diary to dairy in the title ASAP. Typos happen to us all sometime.
Dr. Steve Blezinger
Reveille Livestock Concepts
16 de julio de 2018
Sandra Baxendell - Ha! Thanks Sandra. I need all the help I can get. Much appreciated. Steve
Lorenzo Quesnel
Perry Brook Dairy Farm
2 de agosto de 2018
Steve Blezinger Is there any fat product that may drive milk protein?
Lampros Rizogiannis
18 de septiembre de 2019

Lorenzo Quesnel Dear, if you want to drive milk protein content you need to check with your dairy nutritionist the amino acid balance and more special the Metabolisable amino acid balance. You can add bypass methionine (there are a lot of products of bypass methionine) in the ration with an optimum of about 10 grams per cow per day.

Nirmal Khanchi
17 de julio de 2018

How much higher level fat I can use for my cow?

Hafiz Wasi Muhammad Khan
17 de julio de 2018

Beautiful article, I really learned how much fat is more than enough in the ration of lactating animals. On this topic, such good research articles are posted.

Dr (Capt) Tanweer Alam
Kemin Industries, Inc
31 de julio de 2018

A complex subject but elucidated in a nice way!

NAIMAT ULLAH KHAN
31 de julio de 2018
This article is a big source of knowledge
Gagan deep sobti
Sobti industries
31 de julio de 2018
Appropriate dose for per compounded cattle feed.
Gagan deep sobti
Sobti industries
31 de julio de 2018
Please guide Appropriate Dose for fat Per ton of compounded animal feeds. Which cow should eat 5kg daily.
Hassan Khan
1 de agosto de 2018

Interesting article. It has been recommended that not more than 6 % should be incorporated in cattle feed, bypass and/ or protected fat has a positive impact on both the health and production, however, fat feeding as such in the ration could create digestive problem and reduced milk production, as it can affect the microbial activities in the rumen.

Katie Mayo
Insta-Pro International
11 de octubre de 2018
Do you have the study reference regarding the feeding of linoleic FA to dairy to improve conception rates? It's results are discussed in the "Feeding Fat and Conception Rates" section. Much appreciated. Thank you for the great read.
Mark Townsend
UFAC
7 de octubre de 2019
Katie Mayo Hello Kate, i believe this could be of interest to you. We are manufactures of an energy supplement that is totally palm free and we put strong emphasis on C18:1 https://hoards.com/article-26276-incorporating-supplemental-fatty-acids-in-dairy-rations.html
Katie Mayo
Insta-Pro International
7 de octubre de 2019
Mark Townsend Thank you. I am familiar with Dr. Lock's work but haven't seen this webinar yet. I appreciate your sharing.
Mark Townsend
UFAC
9 de octubre de 2019
Katie Mayo You are very welcome, he has also published some really good papers on the feeding of fats and particularly Individual fatty acids..
Dr.P.S. Oberoi
12 de septiembre de 2019

Nice information, I would like to add higher levels of palm oil based fat/fatty acids having higher level of C16 fatty acids inclusion in ration can suppress synthesis of short and middle chain fatty acids in the udder tissue. These short chain and middle chain fatty acids are important for suckling calves survival and growth also for human health.

James M Aldrich, Ph.D., PAS
CSA Animal Nutrition
19 de septiembre de 2019

C16:0 increases the concentration of mixed (C16:0) and total milk FA and reduces the concentration of de novo and preformed FA. On a yield basis C16:0 increases the yield of mixed and total FA with no change in the yield of de novo FA. C4:0 and C6:0 were positively associated with C16:0 while C12:0 and C14:0 were negatively associated. This is from a paper by Lock and de Souza 2018. Tri-State Dairy Nutrition Conf. Ft Wayne IN USA. Although C16:0 supplementation can reduce the concentration of de novo FA, the reduction, within practical ranges of palmitic acid supplementation, is relatively small and unlikely to affect the health of the consumer (human or bovine calf). Send me an email and I can send you the paper if you do not have access to it. Thank you.

Dr.Manoj jha
28 de septiembre de 2019
Pls.send me the paper on my mail id jha_ovc@yahoo.com
Dinesh Khokhar
Globion
16 de octubre de 2019
James M Aldrich, Ph.D., PAS Hello doctor.. Plz send me this at dinesh.khokhar786@gmail.com
Gottipati Laxmanrao
23 de septiembre de 2019

Yes. we need to know how to increase SNF in cattle.

Dr.Abdalla Mansour Singer
7 de octubre de 2019

Thank you for this important information.
Please, send me the full paper on my mail: dr.abdalla.mansour@aswu.edu.eg

AVR KUMAR
11 de octubre de 2019

Is there any relation to reproductive problems viz repeat breeding, etc.?

AVR KUMAR
17 de octubre de 2019
It is learnt from there is hormonal imbalances
mostafa abdelhalim abdelhamid
3 de diciembre de 2019
In addition to the fatty acids.Omega 3 plays an vital role in Dairy Cattle nutrition.and you have to cover at least 0.6% D M from linseed oil to get good fertility .
Join Engormix and be part of the largest agribusiness social network in the world.
LoginRegister