Explore
Communities in English
Advertise on Engormix

Liquid feed fermented with a Lactobacillus strain with probiotic properties, reduces susceptibility of broiler chickens to Salmonella enterica typhimurium Sal 1344 NALr

Published: January 12, 2018
Summary
This study investigated the potential of fermented liquid feed (FLF) to reduce Salmonella carriage in broiler chickens. In this experiment, a strain identified as Lactobacillus Salivarius ss Salivarius NCIMB 41606 (Lb salivarius) that had been isolated from chicken gut and had been selected for its fermentation and potential probiotic properties, was assessed for its efficacy in reducing the shed...
Related topics:
Authors:
Jane Beal
Peter Brooks
Recommend
Comment
Harish Murty
17 de enero de 2018
How about boulardii can you plz explain , which will work better
Recommend
Peter Brooks
17 de enero de 2018
harish murty The simple answer to your question is that I do not know which would work better as we never compared the two approaches in an experiment. However, we can say that they are very different approaches. S. boulardii has been studies as a potential probiotic, fed either live or dead in solid feed. Our approach was to ferment the feed and hence change the nature of the food itself. Fermentation = acidification reducing pathogen numbers significantly in the feed. It also supports the barrier function of the fore gut reducing the chances of colonization with pathogens. It further has immunomodulatory effects on the lower gut, in this respect having effect similar to probiotics. We will not know the answer to your question until someone tries the two approaches side by side and/or in combination. However, this is not an easy experiment to plan and execute as fermentation also modifies the digestibility and physicochemical properties of the feed. It woud be very difficult to plan experiments that could tease apart these many variants.
Recommend
Harish Murty
18 de enero de 2018
Peter Brooks to the best of my knowledge boulardii is yeast ..Kindly explain in detail
Recommend
Harish Murty
18 de enero de 2018

Hi, Peter Brooks, it works very well on cecal junction.

Recommend
Peter Brooks
18 de enero de 2018
harish murty I am do not have experience with S,boulardii as I have not worked with it. Yes it is a yeast; but some yeast have probiotic properties. Other yeasts can be a real problem in diets, particularly moist or liquid diets. If you do a literature search there are review articles (relating to humans) listing the mechanisms by which S.boulardii might be beneficial in enteric conditions.
Recommend
Dr. Sonali D. Borkar
23 de enero de 2018
Peter Brooks Sir, I want to conduct a trial in broilers with the approach that to feed nucleotides as a supplement in their diets. please give suggestions on this
Recommend
Christopher Hettiarachchi
18 de enero de 2018
Hi Peter Brooks et al Interesting approach, instead of only microorganisms, feeding beneficial microbial metabolites and digested food fragments could really enhance broiler performances. But most broiler starter/booster feed available in the market (in some countries) contain antibiotics in low doses (as growth promoters) and hence this approach may not work during the early stage of growth.
Recommend
Peter Brooks
18 de enero de 2018
Christopher Hettiarachchi The aim was to produce an approach that was antibiotic free. In our work with pigs we found that fermented feed was an effective substitute for antibiotic supplemented diets. By that I mean that the effect of fermented feed on the gut flora was similar to that of growth promoting antibiotics, namely to shift the lactic acid bacteria to coliform ratio in the direction of lactic acid bacteria. The approach also has the benefit that organic acid supplements are not needed and nor is phytase.
Recommend
Peter Brooks
18 de enero de 2018
Christopher Hettiarachchi If you want a copy of the peer reviewed paper please e-mail me and I will send you a copy.
Recommend
Christopher Hettiarachchi
18 de enero de 2018
Peter Brooks Hi Peter Thank you for the quick response. I was thinking about the commercial application of the liquid fermented probiotic products. It is going to be a massive task to convince the farmers. Some how one should start from somewhere. I was doing an experiment admistering a mixture 5 so.of Bacilus via drinking water for broiler chicks. I had a tough time get antibiotic free feed. Somehow got it prepared & got comparable results with the control in growth. I used cull chicks to give the extreme situation. Mortality rates with probiotic was extremely low. My email chris.hettiarachchi@mail.com
Recommend
Athangudi Venugopalan
19 de enero de 2018
HERE SELECTION OF LACTO BACILLI STRAIN IS CRITICAL SINCE CERTAIN LACTO BACILLI CARRY ARNTIBIOTIC RESISTANT GENES WHICH ARE EASILY TRANSFERED TO HUMAN PATHOGEN.PLEASE REFER COMMUNITY REGISTER OF FEED ADDITIVES FOR APPROVED LACTO BACILLI A.T.VENUGOPALAN 20-1-18
Recommend
Surender Reddy
22 de enero de 2018
Athangudi Venugopalan, dear sir, thank you very much for your valuable information,could you plz give us the name of the lactobacilli which may transfer the antibiotic resistance to human pathogens please...
Recommend
Steffen Hansen
PIG.dk
22 de enero de 2018
Surender Reddy if the previous post refer to the European Register of feed additives it is not correct. A product containing a Bacillus strain (and not Lactobacillus) was withdrawn from EU due to this scientific opion: http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.2903/j.efsa.2014.3766/epdf. which expresses a risk for spreading genes coding for resistance to tetracycline and chloramphenicol
Recommend
Surender Reddy
23 de enero de 2018
Steffen Hansen thanks for your clarification ...
Recommend
Christoph Hutter
ADDCON
23 de enero de 2018

Hi, very interesting this discussion. I would like to know if it was a yeast now and how could a yeast bring the ph down or was it a lactobacillus, so which one?
We are using lactobacillus for fermentation and have optimized some range. 
In pigs, it is more and more used, and in poultry, it is starting due to several positive effects. 
If possible I would like to get the data as well. 
Maybe, there could be some kind of exchange as well. 

Best Regards,
Christoph

Recommend
Peter Brooks
23 de enero de 2018
Christoph Hutter Let me have an e-mail address
Recommend
Athangudi Venugopalan
23 de enero de 2018

Dear Sir,
Since January 2017 for microbiological criteria, the entire family of Enterobacteriaceae is included. Previously only certain genera of Enterobacteriaceae like e.Coli/salmonella and other pathogens were included under microbiological criteria of food safety. Since January 2017 entire family members of Enterobacteriaceae were included on the plea that enterobacteria carry antibiotic resistant genes which are easily transferred to human pathogen.
Antibiotic resistance is assuming a global issue. Certain lacto bacilli al so carry antibiotic resistant genes which are transferred to human pathogen. Before using lactobacilli as prebiotic or probiotic it is essential to screen the lactobacilli for antibiotic resistance. Further, now low pathogenic avian influenza is endemic in India due to exacerbation by bacterial and viral agents. The main problem with poultry feed is microbial contamination of feed and feed ingredients. European food safety authority as early as 2004 resorted to use of formalin for decontamination of feed. After feed decontamination use of phytobiotics - garlic 10 kg per tonne of feed will solve the problem of salmonella as well as lpai.
For biosecurity, it is essential to use only food grade chemosterilants such as chlorine dioxide or peracetic acid.

Venugopalan.

Recommend
Profile picture
Would you like to discuss another topic? Create a new post to engage with experts in the community.
Join Engormix and be part of the largest agribusiness social network in the world.