Explore
Communities in English
Advertise on Engormix

Vent pecking in poultry

Forum: Vent pecking in Broilers

Published: March 10, 2012
By: Dr. Rahul Hardas

Vent pecking is seen in 30 day old broiler birds in the farm refer as Cannibalism. Cannibalistic behavior performed by poultry is the pecking, tearing and consuming of skin, tissues, the case i met with birds have started pecking cloaca l region in some case intestine it is to harsh that intestinal loop drop outside through wound. However, this problem has been a consistent problem in layers but can also be encountered in broilers as i do. The I.B.D has been ruled out by P.M examination here and the bird are medicated with a salt solution as Cannibalism has been linked to deficiencies in protein, sodium and phosphorus, with increase in number of drinkers and feeders also supplied with Vit C as a stress reliever as the high temperature might be a cause of problem.

Please throw light on this topic so that it is efficiently deal with.

Related topics
Authors:
Dr. Rahul Hardas
Influencers who recommended :
Talaat Mostafa El-Sheikh
Recommend
Comment
Sushil Chandra
28 de septiembre de 2020
As i have already mentioned to avoid over crowding is possible way to reduce vent pecking Bird which has been pecked should be isolated immediately and given suggested treatment Follow what ever i have said before Regards Drchandra
Recommend
Rezaul Mahmud Nahid
6 de octubre de 2020
Sushil Chandra please explained hatchery sanitation if you have to know?
Recommend
Sushil Chandra
29 de septiembre de 2020
I have already shared my experience and views In addition if it is climate control shed , one can shift 50% birds to other shed to reduce over crowding Check salt content in feed During brooding period from 1 to 4 week Brooder house lights are on during night Regards Dr chandra
Recommend
Virendra Kumar Pandey
6 de octubre de 2020
Sir I hope the formulation of feed imbalance of protin& salt ,.
Recommend
Sushil Chandra
6 de octubre de 2020

Sir i am not the right person to advise on hatchery sanitation.
Regards.

Recommend
Narayan Banik
13 de octubre de 2020
Vent picking may due more light intensity during brooding period.
Recommend
Zahed Abbasi
Toyoor Barekat co
24 de diciembre de 2020
Hi to all: For vent pecking control in broiler or layer have to note : 1- Enough NA in feed , it cannot be sufficient only by adding salt to feed, must use another source to supply the NA like sodium bicarbonate.if you want to use salt only the amont of CL will be very highier than bird reguirement and disrupts the DEB . 2- Amino acids not only must supply the requirment of bird but also must be in balance in relation to LYSINE . 3- LIGHT intensity be as recommended by breeder company . 4- Crowding means feed and water space to eating and drinking .if this spaces is not enough there will be stress and and the bird copmete each other and start to pecking and the other bird learn pecking . 5- Right distribution of mash feed : if not selective feeding will occure some eat coarse one and some fine ones and deficiency of nutrient will occur and there after pecking will start and in continue it be a behavior in house .
Recommend
Sushil Chandra
24 de diciembre de 2020

i continue to maintain what I said before
vent pecking most of the time is one of voices (bad habit) of the birds
it should taken care as told before

regards

Recommend
Talaat Mostafa  El-Sheikh
24 de diciembre de 2020
Chicck house temperature, stocking density and crud protein % T
Recommend
Emad Elgazzar
AL WADI POULTRY FARMS COMPANY
29 de diciembre de 2020
All causes which our college said is right beside we must notice any cause of stress due to bad management such as heat or temperature -noise
Recommend
IPPM
Tamil Nadu Veterinary and Animal Sciences University
31 de diciembre de 2020

First: you check the stocking density of the bird in your poultry house.
Second: You check the salt content of your poultry feed.

Recommend
Emad Elgazzar
AL WADI POULTRY FARMS COMPANY
2 de enero de 2021
IPPM Thank you so much that.s right 100%
Recommend
Surinder Khanna
11 de junio de 2021

Dear sir,
I agree with all colleagues but I may add a few more observations like pasty vent attract birds for pecking. Non uniformity in weight. In rare cases, intestinal worms are few reasons.

Recommend
Nisar Muhammad Khan
14 de enero de 2022

I absorbed first vent pecking in my layer birds (golden layers) at the age of 24 weeks and will share my further experience in coming days.

Recommend
Profile picture
Would you like to discuss another topic? Create a new post to engage with experts in the community.
Join Engormix and be part of the largest agribusiness social network in the world.