Explore
Communities in English
Advertise on Engormix

Broiler feed formulation

Formulating Feed for Broiler Performance

Published: August 10, 2007
Summary
Every year the marketing age of broilers decreases by an average of 0.75 days for the same performance. This trend is likely to continue in the same direction for the coming years. Nutrition plays a vital role in enabling this improvement. As the feed cost represents an expensive input (~70-80% of broiler production cost), the poultry producer should be aware of the dynamics of the feed in its in...
Related topics:
Influencers who recommended :
Emad Elgazzar, Stephen Adejoro Dr
Recommend
Comment
Gedion Mutambo
11 de noviembre de 2015
Very informative topic. Am a small scale poultry farmer keeping broilers. Ever since I started formulating my own feeds, I've a peace of mind. The prices of stockfeeds keeps increasing literally every day. I want to start enjoying the economies of scale. By December this year 2015, I should reach a target of 1000 broilers. Once again thanks very much for the article. Gedion Mutambo Kitwe, Zambia
Recommend
Sataluri Satagopa Raja Ayyangar
Synergy Biorefineries Pvt
11 de noviembre de 2015
Instead of Importing feeds for poultry and cattle it is better to prepare indiginiously as local collection will cost less and nowadays by forming associations you can collect the information globally . It is not good to depend on other manufacturers which involve only commercial.
Recommend
Boma Ikwen
11 de noviembre de 2015
Thanks for the useful information given on Broilers feeding formulation . It's been really helpful and you giving the comparative advantage in costs. I will keep in touch with you.
Recommend
23 de noviembre de 2015
Ground nut cake, De oiled rice bran, Cotton seed oil cake , Thippi from Tapioca etc are generally used in the feed preparation .In all the above feeds , the pesticide residues , fungus and solvents play a vital role of the health of Cattle and poultry . Farmers and Poultry owners should keep in mind.
Recommend
21 de diciembre de 2015
There are some natural herbal based antibiotics without any side effects like Kalmageh , Bixin seed etc can be mixed with feed to protect the poultry from diseases.
Recommend
Akapelwa Christopher
2 de febrero de 2016
I would like to be assisted on feed formulations for broilers and layers. It must be something easy to follow or understand. I want to start manufacturing my own feed as well as teach my farmers as it is the only way they can maximize their profits. I work as an Extension Officer in the Ministry of Agriculture in the Eastern Province of Zambia.
Recommend
2 de febrero de 2016
Let me know the crops in Eastern Province of Zambia so that you can prepare the feed with locally available ingredients.
Recommend
Akapelwa Christopher
2 de febrero de 2016
Crops grown include maize, sorghum, rice, groundnuts, soya beans, sunflower, cassava, et.c.
Recommend
2 de febrero de 2016
Mr.Akapelwa Christopher, You can use broken rice ,Maize and maize stem after grinding,dried cassava thippi , soya beans cake ,Sun flower cake sweet sorghum all mixing in pulverize can be used .G M O crops are not to be taken .Before mixing the moisture content of all the individual should be below !0 % preferably by solar drying. Neem leaf dried , Garlic ,Kalmegh leaf ,Amla powder ,winter cherry , Phyllanthus Niruri herb in micro level may be added to get immune system. Bixin seed powder if available can also be used in micro level. Oil cakes should be cold extracted but not by solvents and chemicals treated. The above are all once to be experimented with small number of birds and to be continued accordingly. I will be glad to know the results if any body got trials.
Recommend
Akapelwa Christopher
2 de febrero de 2016
I would appreciate if you give the quantities of each and probably what substitute what. However, we have farmers' shops which sell ingredients that can be used to manufacture feed. Unfortunately, I am not sure of the quantities to be used for a particular type of feed e.g broiler starter.
Recommend
Sunday Badung
3 de febrero de 2016
I have use rice for broiler feeds before. What a farmer needs to do is carry out the nutritive analysis of the rice to know the nutrient value. With the lab result or parameter you will now know the inclusion rate of the rice in your formulation. This can be another source of energy in feed formulation. The farmer should also be mindful of his crusher screen size to avoid the rice escaping during production.
Recommend
Sasko Arsov
4 de febrero de 2016
free recipes for broiler arsovsasko@gmail.com
Recommend
Vijayaraghavan Gonuguntla
Agrilife India
4 de febrero de 2016
Suggested Nutritional Requirements of Broilers Age in Days Nutrients Prestarter Starter Finisher 0 - 10 11-21 days 22 - Finish M.E. Kcal/kg 2900 - 2950 3050 3150 Crude Protein % 22.00 - 22.50 21.5 20 Ether Extract % (Min) 3.5 4.5 6.5 Crude Fiber % (Max) 4 4 4 Calcium % 1 1 1 Available Phosphorous % 0.45 0.45 0.4 Sodium % 0.18 0.18 0.16 Chloride % 0.17 0.15 0.15 Linoleic Acid % 2 3 3.5 Lysine % (Min) 1.3 1.2 1.05 Methionine % (Min) 0.55 0.5 0.45 Vitamins_Suggested Nutritional Requirements Vitamins To be supplemented Vitamin A iu/kg 15,000 Vitamin D3 iu/kg 3,000 Vitamin B1 mg/kg 4 Vitamin B2 mg/kg 8 Niacin mg/kg 50 Pantothenic Acid mg/kg 14 Pyridoxine mg/kg 4 Folic Acid mg/kg 1.5 Cyanocobalamine mg/kg 0.015 D-Biotin mg/kg 0.15 Vitamin K mg/kg 3 Vitamin E mg/kg 50 Vitamin C mg/kg 100 Choline mg/kg 900 Minerals_Suggested Nutritional Requirements Minerals gm/ton Manganese 90 Copper 15 Iron 90 Iodine 2 Selenium (max) 0.3 Zinc 80
Recommend
Ing. Dragan Ionut
4 de febrero de 2016
Almost all world is working now with ross and cobb Why do not you use the standard nutrient guide from ross or cobb ? 2900 kcal for starter is too low I think. I do not have enough courage to make starter with 2900 kcal . My target at 7 days are 210 grams . I think is not possible with 2900 kcal. Maybe with some source of glucose
Recommend
Robert Huggins
5 de febrero de 2016
I would suggest downloading the latest version of Ross and Cobb broiler management guides. At 2900kcal/kg ME, the birds may want too eat a bit more feed but weight gain should fall within suggest guidelines. For the chicks to gain 210 grams in 7 days might be pushing them a bit, but this will also depend on what age you are marketing your birds and how much fat they are expected to deposit. I would prefer to formulate around 3000kcal/kg, and adjust as the birds get older. If mortality is high energy can be reduced by 50 to 100 kcal/kg ME and still get good performance, making sure all other nutrients are balanced in accordance with the reduced energy. Do not adjust energy without readjusting other nutrients to insure that birds are getting their required daily intake of nutrients.
Recommend
Tawfik
6 de febrero de 2016
but what must use with this how much corn how much soya how much oil ...........????/
Recommend
Oyedele Oyewumi
Prinzvet Livestock Consult
6 de febrero de 2016
this information is interesting and educative. however in other to reduce cost and increase profit, lets look inward towards the use of unconventional feedstuffs to ensure sustainability of broiler business
Recommend
M Sifri
7 de febrero de 2016
Robert Huggins has offered an excellent assessment and advice. The following are critical points for developing a feeding program that accomplishes the set objectives: 1. Know the objective 2. Study and assess the following utilizing credible resources: a. Breed guidelines and actual capabilities b. Available ingredients, prices, actual nutritional values; if not available, use theoretical and book values with practical adjustments based on history of performance and ingredients. Avoid doing risky and uncalculated judgments. Learn from every cycle. c. Provide the proper health and prevention programs. That might be the best nutrition program helper. d. Monitor, manage and follow-up and execute proactively. 3. There are great internet websites that provide credible and primary refereed publications. 4. Review with the information that you read, make some sense of it, translate it to the field situations and apply it and improve your application. 5. You know more about your own problems than anybody else, make the decision using the facts you have. If you still need help, provide coherently your case in order to get the right help. When you do that, you will get credible help. 6. Stay focused 7. Best wishes
Recommend
Dr Ghulam Ali Jafri  DVM
8 de febrero de 2016
?? wishing all the Best for the Poultry Related s?? According to my Point of view Poultry Have 5 Pillars 1: Safe & Immune Breed. 2: Balance & Hygienic Feeds. 3: Hygienic Water. 4: Ideal in House Management. 5: Favorable Marketing. ?? I'm in Poultry Since 17 years,Any segment Collapse Hit to the Farmers. ?? Best wishing for The Poultry ?? Dr Ghulam Ali Jafri DVM,RVMP, MD Technical Five Star Proteins & Meridian Enterprises Sialkot Pakistan ?? drghulamalijafri@gmail.com
Recommend
Ing. Dragan Ionut
8 de febrero de 2016
Dear mr. Sifri Interesant and correct opinion . What is your opinion about the size of particles for raw materials ? From your opinion , for poultry feeding what are the best size of the raw materials after grinding ? What are the differences between grinding of the corn and size of the wheat or sorghum? Thank you
Recommend
Profile picture
Would you like to discuss another topic? Create a new post to engage with experts in the community.
Join Engormix and be part of the largest agribusiness social network in the world.