Explore
Communities in English
Advertise on Engormix

Effect of essential oils in improving performance in broiler birds under necrotic enteritis

Published: February 25, 2019
Dr. Vivek Kuttappan, research scientist at Novus International, explains how intestinal lesions and mortality in broiler birds under necrotic enteritis challenge can be reduced using an essential oil based eubiotic product, during the annual International Poultry Scientific Forum (IPSF) at IPPE 2019.
Related topics
Authors:
Vivek Kuttappan
Cargill
Follow
Join to be able to comment.
Once you join Engormix, you will be able to participate in all content and forums.
* Required information
Would you like to discuss another topic? Create a new post to engage with experts in the community.
Create a post
Panish Patel
16 de abril de 2019

Can Replace Acidifier insted of Eubiotics?

Elizabeth Davis
Novus
17 de abril de 2019

Panish Patel Here's a response from Dr. Kuttappan, who presented this research: Thanks for your question and I believe that you are referring to “replacing acidifiers in feed with essential oil-based eubiotic products”. In our experience, acidifiers are also effective in improving feed quality and in improving the quality of gut microbiota in animals. However, there are products with different types of organic acids with different protection technologies so we cannot generalize their effects or benefits. I think the best answer to your question is that selecting appropriate eubiotic product/s could depend on the type of challenges you have. Moreover, rather than replacing an acidifier with essential oils, it might be better to use a combination in order to get a synergistic effect. Some of the current research at Novus is focused on this aspect and hopefully, we will have a better understanding of the synergistic effect in the near future.

Panish Patel
15 de junio de 2019
Elizabeth Davis thank you for Satisfied Reply
dan hofer
17 de abril de 2019

Is garlic oil a good essential oil blended with oregano oil than blended in to feed at about 20 ppm?

Elizabeth Davis
Novus
18 de abril de 2019

Dan Hofer, here's the response from Dr. Kuttappan, who presented this research: That’s an interesting question and thanks for asking. Unfortunately, I do not have any information comparing garlic oil by itself vs in combination with oregano oil regarding the differences in antimicrobial activity or gut health benefits in poultry. So, I won’t be able to give you a specific answer for that question.

Dave Zacek
BV Science
19 de abril de 2019
Plant extracts from hops have been shown to have efficacy against Clostridium perfringens, a causative organism of Necrotic Enteritis.
Dr. Fiodor S. Marchenkov
Kronos -Agro private company
25 de abril de 2019
Dear Dave Zacek , exactly, plant extracts! Because extracts containing a lot of different biologically-active substances, not only essential oils. Different methods of extraction - different composition of extract. A lot of opportunities for new additives development!
abalu efe
23 de abril de 2019

How do you make an extract and know the required dosage for usage?

Vivek Kuttappan
Cargill
25 de abril de 2019

abalu efe Thanks for your interest in the topic. Novus's NEXT ENHANCE 150 is a blend of synthetic thymol and carvacrol (no extraction involved), which gives us better control to ensure the composition of actives in the product. Again, the blend is encapsulated which protects the actives and delivers the required dosage to the animal even after pelleting the diet. The recommended dosage was determined based on the results from a number of dose-response trials evaluating the benefits in improving performance in animals and economic feasibility for the customers.

abalu efe
27 de mayo de 2019
Thanks Dr. Vivek Kuttappan for your response. But my question was on a general terms. I will appreciate it Sir, if you could help give the steps and procedures of extraction and dosage consideration
Sanjay S Kale
27 de abril de 2019

Can we use liquid preparations of essential oils in case of necrotic enteritis?

Elizabeth Davis
Novus
30 de abril de 2019
Sanjay S Kale Thanks for this question, Sanjay. Here's the response from Dr. Kuttappan: I have not tested other essential oil products, so I won’t be able to tell whether different essential oils will have different effects on necrotic enteritis. I think if a product is capable of preventing or reducing the damage caused by Clostridium perfringens, you should see benefits (whether used as solid or liquid) as long as the actives reach the required site of action (jejunum/ileum in case of necrotic enteritis). One thing to keep in mind while using essential oils products is that most of the active compounds in these products are volatile. So, using an unprotected essential oil product could reduce the stability of your actives and you might lose a significant part of these actives even before it reaches the required site of action. Furthermore, the ease and convenience of administering a solid vs liquid product in your facility need to be considered.
Sanjay S Kale
27 de abril de 2019

Yes, please tell in details

Nnadi Ajanwachukwu
28 de abril de 2019

The topic appears apt potentially, as I have not read the details. One wish to ask if vegetable oils may not have similar effects. Could I be honoured with the full article of your work on this topic?

Elizabeth Davis
Novus
30 de abril de 2019
Nnadi Ajanwachukwu I sent you a message via this platform requesting your contact information.
Join Engormix and be part of the largest agribusiness social network in the world.
LoginRegister