Explore
Communities in English
Advertise on Engormix

Poultry Industry in Nigeria and Climate Change Implications

Published: May 12, 2017
Summary
INTRODUCTION The poultry industry is one of the most viable and popular agricultural business industries in Nigeria. The industry has been pitched on a solid ground such that it has become a means of livelihood in the rural and urban communities in the country. Presently, Nigeria poultry industry is valued at about 8 billion USD and is the most industrialized segment in the Nigeria livestock i...
Related topics
Authors:
Stephen Adejoro Dr
Soavet
Follow
Join to be able to comment.
Once you join Engormix, you will be able to participate in all content and forums.
* Required information
Would you like to discuss another topic? Create a new post to engage with experts in the community.
Create a post
Begerano Albert
Agrited
16 de mayo de 2017
Thanks check again broiler average weight it can't be 21 gr
Stephen Adejoro Dr
Soavet
16 de mayo de 2017

Was weight of Broiler or pullet DOC mentioned in this article? surely No!

dan Musa
29 de diciembre de 2017
I dont think up to 25million people are directly or indirectly employed through poultry in Nigeria.
Dr.b.anand
29 de diciembre de 2017
612 Metric tons of chicken from 29 million broilers???
Stephen Adejoro Dr
Soavet
2 de enero de 2018
Musa, don't have a narrow perspective of what makes up the poultry Industry in Nigeria ,it is far beyond the narrow perspective of commercial poultry production and feed milling from the upstream to the commercial level Infact my view of the entire poultry industry is broader than the description above ,the industry in its comprehensive term is inclusive of the various poultry value chain and the employment opportunities provided by the various segments of the chain just imagine the structure of the Industry from GPS to PS to Hatcheries to Commercial Layers to commercial Broilers to various private and commercial feed millers to Various Distributors in the country,Now go to Distribution of Day Old Chicks and the transportation chain to move them all over the country,pause a bit, and look at the value added business in the various fast food centres in the country and the local chicken been dressed in many parks ,towns and villages in Northern parts of Nigeria as delicacies most of which are local house hold chicken Have you ever thought of the owners of the local chickens that derived their livelihood from raising ducks guinea fowls pigeons and quals Dan what exactly is your definition of poultry and the poultry Industry? have you considered the various producers of input into the poultry industry? such as the farmers producing the supply maize , soya, sorghum ,Palm Kernel cake, their transportation and the distributors of wheat offal and brewers grain all supplying the poultry industry and earning their living from there? Now let us look at the various supply of micronutrients ,feed additives ,veterinary drugs and vaccines suppliers and producers all earning a living by servicing poultry industry in Nigeria,What is your view of the servicing industry such as the numerous official and private commercial laboratories that have recently sprung up to meet the need of this industry in Nigeria Mr Dan, the woman who sells the life birds in the open live birds market is part and parcel of the employee of the poultry Industry and I hope you could Imagine the chains of attendants working and learning the trade from them because it is a profession in itself here in Africa Dan dont forget the manufacturers of poultry equipments and cage producers in Nigeria or even the engineers that are recently fabricating feed mill equipments slaughtering machines and oil crutchers plus the various work force in that system ,which Industry would you place them please? The poultry Industry is indeed more comprehensive that what I imagine you are thinking about,perhaps you are basing your calculation on say the production segment of commercial layers ,broilers ,their GPS ns The PS production,but I believe I have thrown more light for you to have a holistic perspective of what the industry entails especially in developing countries that re very labour intensive Perhaps you will allow me to give you a simple assignment of estimating the population that may likely be engaged in the various segments just highlighted for you,and if you can do that you would have contributed to the knowledge of good understanding of this vast industry in Africa
Stephen Adejoro Dr
Soavet
2 de enero de 2018
Sorry Dr B Anad wrote the critics that I responded to above as regards Broiler meat out put ,please take note
Stephen Adejoro Dr
Soavet
2 de enero de 2018
Dan Musa Thank you for the error you noticed in that article ,but It would have been better for you had declared your full name as a contributor the poultry Knowledge I stated in the article that the Broiler population in Nigeria is 29 million,and mind you ,if that is the carrying capacity of the industry, and you estimated that in one year ,an average of 4.7 cycles can be produced on the average I will lead you to my correct estimate in my west Africa report Before I bring out my calculation Please note that my 650 metric tons was indeed a mistake as that figure was to be 650,000 tons meant to be the total broiler production in West Africa,as my article was an extract from my study of the broiler production in West Africa Nigeria indeed do meet almost 40% of the total broiler the region and 50 % of the layer production in the region,therefore working on thia assumption of 29 million commercial broilers of 4.7 cycles per annum ,The total tonnage of broiler in Nigeria will be 29,000,000,x40% =260 Thousands Tons and you will agree that this figure is close to the official statistics of Poultry Association of Nigeria 250 Thousands Tons ,which placed Nigeria as the Third largest producers in Africa apart from South Africa and Egypt This estimate of broiler production by me in Nigeria compared with my intended figure of 650,000 metric Tons for West Africa is indeed 40% by calculation I thank you for bringing out that error and wish to be modest that I pioneered the good idea of initiating data for the poultry Industry in Nigeria ,as far back as 1984 when I published my first article in World Poultry titled Tress sparks epidemic in Nigeria,but Under the able chairmanship leadership of Dr Ayo Oduntan of your organization, andthe versatile effort of the Nigeria executive secretary of PAN Mr Onallo AKPA the Association now keeps a reliable data base for the Industry I was head of the PAN avian Influenza crack team at the presidential villa in 2005 when I wrote my first published articles on Avian influenza epizootics in engormix ,and I can boldly say that It was me and Onallo Akpa that generated the economic loss of Avian Influenza to e poultry Industry in Nigeria
Stephen Adejoro Dr
Soavet
2 de enero de 2018
It was Dr B Anad from Awe Oyo that wrote the critics I responded to above, and apology for misplacing the names .I would love to have a full name of Dr Anad for further clarification and exchange of knowledge
OGUNWOLE, OLUGBENGA
3 de enero de 2018
I shall in the due course study the knity of Dr Adejoro's contribution. Much as we are aware that we lack data base or relevant information on figures, however, his estimation of those involves in the whole poultry value chain is a gross underestimation. If Mr Dan Musa have been a keen player in the industry, he will be very quick to accept this fact. Poultry value chain remains the largest of all other commodities in the agricultural sector. My substantive comments will come later. However, i appreciate the inputs of Dr Adejoro on this discourse Dr. Olugbenga Ogunwole
OGUNWOLE, OLUGBENGA
3 de enero de 2018
corrections on the above involved not involves
Stephen Adejoro Dr
Soavet
4 de enero de 2018
Thank you Dr Olugbenga Ogunwole for your comment and identified gap in my estimation of what I percieved to be the scope of the poultry industry in Nigeria here under re itemised as contained in my response to Mr Dan Musa 1The GPS 2 The PS 3The Hatcheries ,integrated and retailing outlets 4Commercial down streams of Layers and Broilers+contract rearers 5All DOC Distributors + all that support their markets 6All Transportation system of DOC etc 7All commercial feed millers +Toll millers+ integrated mills 8,Village poultry for livelihood in rural and peri urban regions 9All poultry meat value addition centres +emerging shopping moors selling poultry meat portions ,10 All chicken fast food centres like Mr Bigs 11All local chicken delicacies in NorthernNigeria 12All farmers producing cereals like maize sorghum and Soya to feed the Indusy 13 All seller of byproducts of wheat offal's Palm kernel cake and brewers grain used in poultry feed milling 14All poultry diagnostic laboratories 15All company producing premixes and various distributors ,16 All poultry Animal health and nutritional products sales system If all the above is what you reffered to as an underestimations ,please bridge the gap as no one has a monopoly of knowledge, please you may not need more time to do more research to update this list,in fact it could form a viable exercise for any reader inNigeria to continuously update this knowlkkedge I am always ready to enrich my little knowledge of poultry especially when the information's are coming from the gown ,but I can assure you that the town is full of research innovations and abundant knowledge on the poultry Industry and a PPP pertneship in this regard will help improve capacity development in the industry This has been my stand in the last 4decades just to share knowledge in the industry ,which had led meto the creation of the first knowledge capitalized livestock NGO called Livestock Industry Foundation for Africa www.lifango.org I am committed to endow my knowledge to the Industry and for posterity as no amount of critics can discourage me Dr Ogunwole is personally known tome and has direct access to me so I wander why he would not prefer a private chart with me to resolve very simple observation like this This is to inform readers of my latest book in addition to lifango knowledge capitalization titled Livestock mixed portfolio :A cooperative farming for youth and retiree empowerment in Africa This book authored by Dr Stephen Adejoro is published by Lap Lsmmark publishers of Germany and it is internationally sold by Amazon The recent survey of the book scored 4.5/5 *** I will continue to offer my knowledge to improve the poultry industry in this region Engormix can assure all readers that I do not get remuneration for this sacrifice ,and I want to implore others not to hoard knowledge but make it available for posterity and so we shall all work together to improve Animal food security I'm Africa ,and that exactly is my vision I
Martin Smith
Evonik Animal Nutrition
8 de enero de 2018
Dear Dr. Adejoro A very interesting article. Whilst I am in no doubt that mycotoxins contribute to the on-going problems, one should consider a much wider range of nutritional solutions to really start to make improvements. With our extensive experience in West Africa, we are aware that nutritional knowledge and training needs to be seriously improved. Use of up to date formulation tools / nutritional standards will improve industry performance (as all levels, from farm, to hatchery, to meat sales), and at the same time improve profitability. A single, simple point; reducing unneccesary feed crude protein by 1% will reduce water consumption by 1.5%. Provision of adequate energy and digestible amino acids will enhance growth rates and reduce FCR. De facto this means the use of higher quality raw materials than is currently the norm in Nigeria. Evonik have been investing in training and working with Customers to bring to the Nigerian poultry industry the very best in nutritional knowledge; and this we will continue to do.
Pat Banjo
17 de enero de 2018

Thank you sir for this discussion. My dear colleagues in the academia, what are we doing to mitigate the effects of climate change in the livestock industry. Dr Adejoro has highlighted good recommendations. Since we are not yet very good in nanotechnology, we should look at nutrition option as suggested by Martin Smith from Evonik. My ongoing research work shows a very high level of mycotoxin contamination of poultry feeds sampled in Lagos, Nigeria. I think it will be good to have Martins in Nigeria for the training program. I am ready (like many other) to participate.

Alissa Welsher
Adisseo
19 de enero de 2018
Great topic, and one that deserves much attention. I agree with Martin as well, so how can we all help the industry in Nigeria? While we are dealing with mycotoxins, hatchery issues, etc. in other areas as well, scientists and industry professionals have data that I believe would be great to employ in Nigeria. For example, a group out of Hebrew University in Israel does much work on heat stress in broilers where they found heat stressing the chicks and even the eggs, leads to an animal that can better tolerate temperature swings and long periods of high temperatures. Data such as this and hat we know on mycotoxicosis should be relayed to Nigeria as Martin's group does. I am a gut health scientist with a molecular background currently in the poultry feed additive industry and I think that Martin's program is great and I would be willing to help with what I could if there is to be a program set up.
Marcel Waanders
22 de enero de 2018
Alissa Welsher hello Alissa, important to know is the groundwater dept and temp. in the foreseen area,s. according to that we can drop temp. arround 5-12 degrees. so when we can help,just let me know. marcel Waanders the Netherlands. optifarmarcel @waanders.eu
Safe Food and Feed Foundation
Safe Food and Feed Foundation
21 de enero de 2018
Discussions on this forum are expected to enhance the quality of safety in livestock. Capacity building efforts are encouraged at all times. Safe Food and Feed Foundation welcomes collaboration in all areas of food and feed safety in Nigeria and Africa Regular workshops are encouraged among all stakeholders
Stephen Adejoro Dr
Soavet
21 de enero de 2018
Livestock Industry Foundation for Africa (LIFA) is in readiness to collaboratewith intended corporate support organization to mitigate the identified challenges and improve knowledge based capacity on new innovations to minimide vulnersbility to climate change viagries in the region
Stephen Adejoro Dr
Soavet
21 de enero de 2018
Follow up LIFA activities at www.lifango.org including s local engineered poultry breed resilient to climate change vagaries ,read latest report in lifango blog
Luis Mansilla
22 de enero de 2018

Dear members:
I consider it appropriate, rather, to influence the mitigating factors of the caloric effect; the use of osmolytes, especially Betaine.

Betaine, also known as trimethylglycine, is an amino acid derivative, that appears in a natural form, with three reactive methyl groups and a dipolar structure. In addition to the donor function of methyl groups, anhydrous betaine is also known as an osmotic regulator; which can exhibit multiple positive effects in birds subjected to heat stress. Among the potential benefits of its inclusion in poultry foods, are the reduction of choline, the reduction of fat in meat and cellular osmoregulation. As a donor of a methyl group, it enables its labile methyl group for the synthesis of several metabolically active substances such as creatine and carnitine. Betaine promotes intestinal microbiota against osmotic variations and improves microbial fermentation.

I conclude by noting that supplementation with anhydrous betaine improves intestinal integrity in both healthy and coccidial infected birds (Kettunen et al., 2001) and that it is feasible to replace 10% of the methionine content of the food with betaine, although this cannot replace methionine to synthesize protein.

Stephen Adejoro Dr
Soavet
22 de enero de 2018
Luis,,your theory of betaine as a methyl donor like methionine and thus appropriate as a heat mitigating strategy and excess fat mobilization into the citric acid cycle or krebscycle metabolite pathway is of interest to me in medicated feed management of fatty liver and excessive fat deposition I quite agree with you that nutritional aporoach to climate change effect mitigation is in deed relevant to be considered in the holistic management of climate change mitigation in poultry production of the tropics I doubt if betaine has attained such prominent usage in poultry nutrition here in Nigeria but I will appreciate more education in this regards However ,I now perceive betaine as a good synergy with methionine in poultry nutrition most especially in the heat periods of March to may in the humid tropical regions such in the central and northern parts of Nigeria We in LIFA will 'bedelighted to work with companies working with betaine for our knowledge based capitalization for the benefits of our poultry fsrmers and visitors to our community www.lifango.org Thank you Luis for this rich contribution to the topic
Luis Mansilla
23 de enero de 2018

Dr. Stephen, same here, thanks for your comment.
Best regards from Perú.

Join Engormix and be part of the largest agribusiness social network in the world.
LoginRegister