1. Severe visceral gouts 2. Swollen kidney (with deposition of color urate crystal) 3. Proventicular ulceration 4. Normal liver 5. Notmal intestine
1. Number of sick birds is 1-2% 2. Mortality 4-7% 3. Most of birds look normal
1. Different age group of birds (7 to 34 days) 2. Mortality starts after 12 days of age 3.Total number of birds 1800000 (6 houses each 30000) 4.Commercial feed from two different companies (feed treated with Toxin binder) 5. DOC vaccinated with IB vaccine (spraying in farm at 0 days age)
Lab Test result:
Negative IB and ND (Titre level below than normal for IB)
My findings were .....
1. Due to ochratoxicosis 2. Due to IB vaccine failure so what could be the possible causes and what is the disease?
Dear Dr. Islam,
One must rule out the non infectious causes like,nutritional,managemental,toxins etc.
If we try to figure out the most probable infectious cause please look for IBV variant (nephro strains) / Chicken Astro virus(CAstV) involvement .I assume when you say ND and IB negative that's merely on serological fiinding (low titres).
Tissue samples to be submitted for laboratory investigations.The test like,Virus isolation,SN,PCR would be helpful.
Hi, maybe you should consider the possibility of water deprivation, vitamin A defficiency, excess of Calcium, high protein diet, mycotoxins. Also the infectious causes, astroviruses(avian nephritis viral infections). Did you observed some grow retardation also?
All the best!
Thank you dear Gabriela Barbeli -Petu for your comments. For your concern i want to mention that feed contain 22% CP and calcium level 0.45% and also mycotoxin free. Bird are suffering in water deprivation or not is also questionable, because its close house and same problem in six houses.
At last farmer get good body weight that is around 1.5 to 1.6 kg in 33 days in where FCR is 1.5.
And about Astro virus infection i can not make sure?
Dear Dr. Sanjay,
Thank you for your opinion.I also think so. But problem is In my area in Srilanka the testing facility is very rear.
With the help of one senior Technical manager of a renounced company we already test our dead bird sample from two different lab .
From my experience in IB renal form in our area, I think your case do not belong to your case as IB renal form have a very big mortility and other lesion. I think your case is related to stressfull dissorders like nutrional disorders, water deprivation or other dissorders may be the case but not viral disorders to treat this case you must remove of the case at first as in the following:
- you must analyse your feed content and your water content - dont use any antibiotics in this case as most of it have aside effects on the kidney - use good dirutics and honey as 1 cm on litre for about 4 days which make flushing of kidney
thank you dr abdelaziz egypt
you must analysis your feed and your water contents
HI DOCTOR ..
I have gone through experience of such problem( visceral gouts) in KSA breeder as well also in broiler flocks
i have done some things to minimize this problem and after some time it finished.
1.first of all check your water quality and its deprivation .i used iodin in drinking water of birds 250ml per 1000 liters of water . i got good result...
3. if there is more salt concentration and TDN in water then u should change water or manage its proper filteration and purification.
2.use some type of antbiotics such as doxycycline and colistin combine in drinking water .it will be v helpful for birds and am sure if u do it u will get good result.
3.there should be feed analysis also .
if u need more help or discussion u can contact .(email@example.com)
Dear Dr. Amila,
Hope u are well and i want to inform u that as.........
1.In Srilanka some area this types of problem already some veterinarian and big broiler farm operator find out that after giving IB vaccine those types of Visceral gout's problem arise. In addition to that one Journal(2006) mention that in China some strain of IB virus produce those types of Proventiculus Ulceration.
2. For the feed matters i want to clear that, This problem start with one feed(top class broiler feed in Srilanka) , their after one poultry expert suggest to the farmer its may be due to feed problem so, you kindly change the feed. Thereafter farmer totally replace feed with other company broiler ready feed continue it in addition to medicinal support.
but problem still remain.
Problem in that time only in that particular farm, other not a single area/single farm(for both company feed) we can not find out that problem.
Both company feed treated with high quality Toxin binder(like Elitox,Mycofix, etc)
Every raw materials( mainly maize, soya, fishmeal ect) tested in lab for mycotoxin where mycotoxin level less than 30 ppb.
So, i think u get the points.
With best regards
May be Iodine compound will be of help. You try one. Providone iodine may be used. Also try to use water acidifier 3-4 times the normal dose. I believe the problem will subside. Of course, if the kidney is severely affected anti-gout treatment (Allopurinol and Vitamin-A) needs to be done.
In India my treatment in such cases is
Safegard-0.5ml/lit water for 48 hours
Allopurinol (10%)- 1gm/5kg body wt once daily X 3-5 days
Vitamin A (100000 IU/ml)- 10ml/ 100birds
Antibiotic if required.
Thereafter I recommend acidifier for regular use. However for preventive purpose acidifiers I use is 1ml per 2-3 liter water and have seen it works in the farms with prior history of similar conditions.