Explore
Communities in English
Advertise on Engormix

Liver lesion

Published: November 18, 2021
By: Shiva Bhusal
70 wks layers with 70% egg production but showing this type of lesion and 2-3 mortality per day.
Related topics
Authors:
Shiva Bhusal
Follow
Join to be able to comment.
Once you join Engormix, you will be able to participate in all content and forums.
* Required information
Would you like to discuss another topic? Create a new post to engage with experts in the community.
Create a post
Suleman Arshad
UVAS, Lahore-Pakistan
18 de noviembre de 2021

Is there any extra fat in the abdominal cavity and spleen enlargement?

Shiva Bhusal
19 de noviembre de 2021
Suleman Arshad Yes! sir ! There was extra fat and spleen enlargement also.
Suleman Arshad
UVAS, Lahore-Pakistan
19 de noviembre de 2021
Shiva Bhusal Then it is case of FLHS disease. Treatment: Mix Choline Chloride 100-150g/bag in feed for three days Or Glucose 100g/bag in feed for three day Or Neomycin 72% 25g/bag in feed for three day Or Yogurt 1kg/bag in feed for five day
Shiva Bhusal
19 de noviembre de 2021
Suleman Arshad thank you so much !
Dr Kotaiah Talapaneni
Indbro Research & Breeding Farms
29 de noviembre de 2021

Suleman Arshad,
This can be marek's or leukosis. We generally don't get to see marek's lesions after 30 weeks. Nowadays, we are seeing a lot of cases in old layers. If you are interested to know what it is, better to send samples for histopathology or rt-pcr.

Andrew Sivaram
29 de noviembre de 2021
Possibly Marek's Disease especially if visible tumors are present throughout the liver and other organs. Can send the liver sample for confirmation by histopathology.
Hilde Van Meirhaeghe
Vetworks
29 de noviembre de 2021
Did you check for Histomonas? PCR is possible
MIGUEL A. CORREA
29 de noviembre de 2021

It seems a lesion by Clostridios

Ertugrul Yakisik
30 de noviembre de 2021
These lesions looks like Histomoniasis, it might be good to check from this perspective.
Md. Abdullah Ansari
1 de diciembre de 2021
Only single liver picture is not enough to identify the problem. It's better to post whole post-mortem pictures.
MIGUEL A. CORREA
1 de diciembre de 2021
Md. Abdullah Ansari . I think the same. Only a picture is too few.
Dr Charles Ibe
1 de diciembre de 2021
ALJ
Jarra Jagne
Cornell University
1 de diciembre de 2021

The liver looks just like the livers we see in turkeys that have Histomoniasis or blackhead caused by Histomonas meleagridis. The "target " liver lesions representing areas of necrosis are classic. Now, chickens can be infected with histomonas but they do not show clinical signs or have post-mortem lesions, but there is always a first. I would suggest sending in bacterial aerobic and anaerobic cultures just because it could be bacterial too. Then before you do any PCR which can be more expensive, do histology on the liver first. If it is Histomoniasis and you have Histostat in your country, you can treat them. Histology can also reveal the presence of tumors etc. In the US, arsenicals such as Histostat that were used for blackhead have been banned. If these birds are on the floor or out on range, you may want to control the cecal nematode Heterakis gallinarum which carries the eggs of H. meleagridis. Good luck!

Dr Charles Ibe
2 de diciembre de 2021
Jarra Jagne Let's discuss avian medicine proper. Does the farm in question have history of cecal worms heterakis gallinarum which is a known vector of histomoniasis.? From the age brackets of these chicken I guess strongly that this pathology is pathognomonic of avian leucosis j ( ALJ)
Danka Maslic-Strizak
7 de marzo de 2022

Dr Charles Ibe, it should be checked for leukemia.

Dra.g.rao
3 de diciembre de 2021
Looks like Histomonas lesion. but can be confirmed through histopathology
Dr Sunil Sawant
Zoetis
4 de diciembre de 2021
Look like Histomonas meleagridis and not Marek’s disease of ALV.
Dr.m.s.swami
20 de febrero de 2022
Hello everyone I noticed abdominal cavity full of blood in 20th week broiler breeders when I opened mortalities. Please help me know the possible causes and the effective steps to be taken. Thank you Regards
shreinm
Gencore Inc
27 de febrero de 2022
Hi I would like to recommend the following 1- pcr for both md and lukosis 2-afla toxin b1 3-acute pesticide investigation
Dr.m.s.swami
27 de febrero de 2022
shreinmThank you so much
Join Engormix and be part of the largest agribusiness social network in the world.
LoginRegister