Explore
Communities in English
Advertise on Engormix
Phileo by Lesaffre
Content sponsored by:
Phileo by Lesaffre

How to alleviate heat stress in poultry

Published: April 4, 2019
Laurine Faivre, Poultry Manager Asia-Pacific at Phileo by Lesaffre, talks about the use of Phileo’s premium yeast fraction, Safmannan®, helps to achieve positive improvements in survival rates, alongside better growth and feed efficiency, during VIV Asia 2019
Related topics
Authors:
Laurine Faivre
Phileo by Lesaffre
Follow
Influencers who recommended :
Clara Berger
Join to be able to comment.
Once you join Engormix, you will be able to participate in all content and forums.
* Required information
Would you like to discuss another topic? Create a new post to engage with experts in the community.
Create a post
Maqsood Jaffery
19 de mayo de 2019
Good discussion about Betain particularly its osmoregulatory roll . Betain is available in 2 forms ( Betain anhydrous like FROM DUPONT & other from AB VISTA & in synthetic form - Betain HCl salt. Please share about efficacy of both forms of Betain, so that proper benefit is availed by use of it.
Oscar Briceño
19 de mayo de 2019
Can you explain how betaine can replace methionine?
Joshua A. Jendza
Qualitech
20 de mayo de 2019

Oscar Briceño Unless something has changed in the last decade or so, you can't. I did my PhD in methionine for pigs, and had a whole section on methionine alternatives in my first chapter.

It was hypothesized that as a methyl-donor, betaine could spare methionine (itself a major methyl donor). In vitro liver homogenate trials showed some potential. However, when tested in vivo, my recollection is that it never worked all that well. When it did appear to work, it was generally concluded that it did so by regenerating methionine from homocysteine (HCY) after a methylation reaction.

From my thesis:

"Another approach to capitalize on the transmethylation cycle has been the
addition of methyl donors to maximize the efficacy of Met regeneration from Hcy.
Betaine is a metabolic derivative of choline that can be used to re-methylate Hcy to Met
via the betaine-homocysteine methyl transferase (Figure 1 – 1). Supplementation of
betaine to human patients with chronic renal failure has been shown to decrease
circulating Hcy levels (McGregor et al., 2002).

Although there is evidence that betaine can improve the conversion of Hcy to Met
(Baker & Czarnecki, 1985), the evidence for a direct betaine-Met sparing effect in
poultry is far less encouraging. Betaine has shown no effect on growth performance
(Rostagno et al., 1996; Schutte et al., 1997; Esteve-Garcia and Mack, 2000) and little
(Schutte et al., 1997) to no effect on breast meat yield (Rostagno et al., 1996; Esteve-
Garcia and Mack, 2000). In swine, the evidence for some sort of betaine effect is
slightly more positive. Matthews et al. (2001) found that although betaine did not spare
Met, feeding betaine increased ADG due to an increase in ADFI. Lawrence et al. (2002)
reported increased ADG in higher CP (15%) diets supplemented with 1 g-betaine/kg diet
and reduced average fat depth in barrows. Despite some small improvements in certain
performance criteria in response to betaine, it would appear as though betaine is not
capable of sparing Met in swine or poultry diets."

Oscar Briceño
20 de mayo de 2019

My comment about the replace was for the affirmation that it could be by one forist, but I am in agreement with Joshua and Martin Smith

Aminu Abdullahi Umar
24 de mayo de 2019
I have keenly followed the posts on Betaine use. I guess Dr Adejoro is not talking about replacing methionine totally in poultry diets but only at such levels of inclusion that it is added over the top, just like choline for heat stress amelioration. This is my understanding though. I have a few experimental results in the use of different levels of mthionine, choline chloride and their combinations in tropical North-western Nigeria.
Stephen Adejoro Dr
Soavet
26 de mayo de 2019

Aminu Abdullahi Umar
Perfect Mr. Aminu for your further explanation and that is exactly what I mean because Betaine a trimethyl donors, can partially replace methionine to as much as10% when used at say 750gr per ton of ration, and at this level, may completely replace Choline chloride in ration
Betaine dosages vary and depend on the objective of the your treatments
In most trials, Betaine is owed to manage heat stress between 0.05% to 0.4% in feed with obvious advantages, however when Betaine is used on the high level if 750gram -800gram per ton, methionine could be reduced by 10%-15% while choline chloride may be totally removed in such level of application
Many trials to confirm this had been reported from Asia countries and from many researchers working on Betaine, methionine and choline chloride.
Thank you Abdulahi Umar for sharing your valued knowledge.
Livestock industry foundation for Africa (LIFA,) has as one of its initiatives the management of climate change vulnerabilities to livestock and mostly poultry production of the South Sahara Africa.
Please follow us more on www.lifango.org
Or Visit our news at https://blog.lifango.org and contact us on lifango48@gmail.

DR ASHEIKH
University of Maiduguri
24 de mayo de 2019

Thanks Abdullahi, I only talked on physical and environmental manipulations to decrease heat stress. Thanks

Youssef Attia
26 de mayo de 2019
Please see works by Attia et al. and heat stress and Habashy et al and heat stress in details the effectiveness of any antiheat stress agents depends severity of heat stress such as duration, temperature and attitude as well as age of birds and genetic makeup.
Stephen Adejoro Dr
Soavet
26 de mayo de 2019
Correct and perfect thank you prof
seçkin tümer
Vimar Animal Health
27 de abril de 2020
so =) Can we replace choline with the same active value of Betain HCL ?
Join Engormix and be part of the largest agribusiness social network in the world.
LoginRegister