Explore
Communities in English
Advertise on Engormix

Poultry with Aluminum Sulfate

Treating Poultry Litter with Aluminum Sulfate (Alum)

Published: July 30, 2012
Summary
Definition: Aluminum sulfate (alum) is added to poultry litter in the poultry house to reduce ammonia volatilization.  Purpose: Over half of the nitrogen excreted by chickens is lost to the atmosphere as ammonia before the litter is removed from poultry houses. Research has shown that alum additions to poultry litter greatly reduces ammonia emissions. Lower ammonia levels in poultry ...
Related topics:
Authors:
Philip A. Moore, Jr.
University of Arkansas (USA)
Recommend
Comment
Dr.shahzad  Naveed Jadoon
Alltech
30 de julio de 2012

Good information about Treating Poultry Litter with Aluminum Sulfate. How many time we can use litter? What is level of ammonia ppb in shed?

Recommend
Dr.g.karthikeya
Provet Pharma private Limited
31 de julio de 2012

Good and informative. I´d like to put one query,whether the alum sulphate addition should be done from day 1 of broiler operation or at the time of wet litter formation.

Recommend
Sudheer Rukadikar
4 de agosto de 2012
In India, we have many small units that operate under some integrator. The units may be as small as 3000 birds. I will try in some of these small units by spreading Alum @90gms/bird before placing the DOCs. Thanks for new and good information.
Recommend
Safdar Javed
6 de agosto de 2012

sudheer,hi,i want to ask u about indian poultry,what is the trend of poultry in india,isit in the farm of small unitslike 3000 t0 5000 or big units of 30000,bird.here in pakistan b4 6 to 7 years poultry farming was conventional,depenending upon dealers(investors) who give feed ,chicks,medicine to farmers,then at the end he is responsible to sale the bird,throuh total collection of money ,he 1st deduct his own money ,then if there is some profit he give to poor farmer ,but this system is now replaced by environment control farms of 30000 capacity,buyer& seller r direct, again here r big commercail feed industry ,ranging from 5 ton to 50 ton capacity,fcr is 1.7 to 1.8,bird sale is at avg 2 kg wt,what is situation there in india?my e mail drsafdar77@yahoo.com .

Recommend
Eduardo Espinoza
19 de agosto de 2012

Treated poultry litter with al can be used feeding steers, without ill effects?

Recommend
Profile picture
Would you like to discuss another topic? Create a new post to engage with experts in the community.
Join Engormix and be part of the largest agribusiness social network in the world.