Explore
Communities in English
Advertise on Engormix

Enzymes in Poultry Production

Mechanisms of Enzymes in Poultry Production

Published: January 1, 2002
Summary
The following article is a special collaboration from AFMA (Animal Feed Manufacturers Association) www.afma.co.za We thank their kind support. Summary Enzymes have been used in the feed industry for more than 30 years. Traditional applications have included improving the digestibility and bird performance of ingredients such as barley and wheat. As our understanding of the anti-nutritive factor...
Related topics:
Recommend
Comment
Dr.shahzad  Naveed Jadoon
Alltech
31 de enero de 2010

it is very easy and comprehensive articleabout mechanisms of enzymes in poultry production. i am just wondering information on mode of action of bacterial and fungal based enzyme. what would be main difference in mode of action. what are different methods for protecting enzyme stability at commercial pelleting feed? . For complex enzyme do we have any method for measuring each enzyme unit.
looking forward for your expert opinion.

Recommend
Saif Ul Haq
4 de febrero de 2010

Its a very informative article about the enzymes application in the feed,the dietary scenario in country like Pakistan is different and enzyme optimisation techniques should be such that to support the local dietary conditions.I also have reservations on the use of the pectinase because when they are cleaved they become more problematic.
The efficacy of the proteases need further study specially when formulating the diet on Digestible basis.
Overall its a good article about mechanisms of enzymes in poultry production.

Recommend
Romila  Iyer
Romila Iyer
10 de febrero de 2010
Dear Dr. Kyle Newman, Very informative details. Thanks. Kindly throw light on the following : *. Some experts believe , addition of Phytase along with other cocktail enzymes is not compatible. They suspect, Protese in the cocktail may reduce or deactivate phytase.What is your view ? *. Does the enzyme fermentation process , be it solid state or Submerged method , has any efficiency advantage over each other ? Of course , as you have specifically mentioned in your conclusion , units play a role in any commercial formulation. Thanks Dr Romila iyer
Recommend
Mohamad Naeem Mahmoud
Mohamad Naeem Mahmoud
3 de marzo de 2010
it is simple & useful article explaining the mode of enzymes action best regards
Recommend
Dr. Syed Ali Raza Haider
Dr. Syed Ali Raza Haider
3 de marzo de 2010
Yup i guess as Dr. Shahzad Jadoon make a valid Point of, that the exact details are yet awaited although the article cover most of the subject but still the few questions remained unanswered...
Recommend
Oyedele Oyewumi
Prinzvet Livestock Consult
4 de marzo de 2010
its such a wonderful write up. can enzyme be combined with pro biotic.what is the cost implication of hte enzyme inclusion
Recommend
Hafiz Imran Shakoor
23 de abril de 2010

Exogenous enzymes in the poultry diet are added to digest the undigested fiber and protein fraction and also improve the digestibility of nutrients. Some time enzyme addition did not response the problem is not with enzyme but with substrate because improper enzyme selection with respect to subustrate. Much of the fiber degrading enzymes work concentrated on hemicellulose fraction of fiber e.g. (arabinoxylan, beta glucan, mannan, etc). Much more work is required on cellulose and lignin fraction of fibers so that we convert these fractions to valuable nutrients.

Recommend
Sadeq Al-maswari
24 de mayo de 2010

With all my appreciation for the tremendous effort in providing this clear search, but I wonder: What about mannan degrading enzymes?

When high fiber diets used, the decrease in the digestibility of the diet was not associated with the viscosity of the diet as the inclusion of high fibrous feeds decreased jejunal digesta viscosity. Hence, the decrease in feed digestibility may be due to the fact that broiler chickens have a limited ability to digest dietary fibre, such as &#946-mannan, because of the absence of any mannan degrading enzymes in the digestive tract of birds.
Accordingly, two possible ways to cope with this problem are: formulating the diet based on digestible nutrients, digestible amino acids and metabolisable energy, and enzyme application to improve the crude fiber digestibility and to reduce the moisture content of excreta.

In feeding trials, the inclusion of enzymes, particularly mannan degrading enzymes supports maximum growth of broilers fed a diet an energy reduction of 711 KJ/kg. The highest growth of broilers was reached when high fibrous diet was supplemented with mannan degrading enzymes, compared to the growth of broilers fed a corn soy diet.

The lignin content of some feed ingredients also is a contributing factor to low digestibility.

Recommend
Hafiz Imran Shakoor
25 de mayo de 2010
Enzyme selection and application should be based on substrates availability in the diets. Except copra and palm kernel meal all grains and vegetable protein meals contain round about one or less than one percent mannans on dry matter basis.
Recommend
Parminder Singh Chawla
3 de junio de 2010

Very informative article about mechanisms of enzymes in poultry production.Thanks. Now a days various cocktails enzyme preparations are available in the market. Every enzyme product is not fit for every formulation. So choice of enzyme product is very important, it should be substrate specific. Efficacy of enzymes reduces in the adult birds as they can secrete their own endogenous enzymes. Dose of enzyme product is also important. At higher doses than recommended, the birds perform poorly due to more breakdown of pentoses.
Thanks

Recommend
Rodel Villaraza
6 de junio de 2010

I had been dealing with enzymes for the past 8 years here in the Philippines. Here are some of my points in the topic:
1. Enzymes are specific, they act on specific substrate.
2. Combining phytase with multi-enzymes containing protease have possibility of degrading the phytase unlessthe manufacturer of the multi-enzymes uses a stable powder protease. Using liquid protease which is highly active form indeed can degrade or digest other enzymes because its also a protein.
3. Right now I had been promoting a protease here in my country and my supplier explained the their protease can degrade other enzymes but in minimal effect due to its properties such as being semi-coated. They produce enzyme combination considering what may protease can do so they put some allowance.
4. Some laboratories have capacity to analyze specific enzymes and its amount in both pure and combined form.
5. I had been using mannanase from a known company and proved to be effective especially in our country rich in copra. From my trials both poultry and swine shown a comparable effect with corn-soy diets and cost savings.
6. Some claimed to be multi-enzymes by citing side activities of their fungi or bacterial producing enzymes, which indeed produces not just one enzyme but the other enzymes are not that consistent in production depending on the procedures. Other companies combined different pure enzymes to produce this multi-enzymes which can have consistent values.
Hope I shed a light on some inquires. Thank you fellow nutritionist.

Recommend
Dr.sohail Ahmad
Islamabad Group
7 de junio de 2010

It is a good article about mechanisms of enzymes in poultry production of Dr. Kyle which open the discussion in different ways. Before start comments about enzymes, we
will see the physiology of feed stuffs.
Digestive physiology research taught us more about the problems and limitations of feed stuffs.Feed stuff of vegetable
origin contain NSPs, particularly the solubles ones have a major impact by chaniging the functioning of the GIT.The
Insoluble NSP consists mainly in cellulose and lignin.The soluble NSPs, in contrast are those soluble in water medium,
including pentosans (arabinoxylans, xylans), B- glucans in cereals and pectin polysaccharides in legumes.
The NSPs soluble protein increase the viscosity with in the digestive tract, encapsulate nutrients, lower nutrient-
availability and rhus depress overall nutrient digestibility,than animal performance can be significantly affected.
This negative effect can be minimized by the addition of NSPs enzymes to the feed.

The benefits of feed enzymes ( shape of single or cocktail form) in helping drive down in animal production costs and
reduction both raw material variability and the environment impact.For understanding their mode of action and in-
perticular the interaction with the animal gut microbial system affects the feed enzymes are applied. Enzymes are
better characterised and more are known about their substrates.So it is clear that you used single or cocktail, their
utilazation in diet formulation release the raw material constraints and nutritonal value of specific diet.Some body ask
their heat sensitivity. Enzymes are made of protein and are so sensitive to excessive heat specially pelleting process.
There are two ways of making enzymes more heat stable,1- One approach is to use a coating to protect the enzymes.
2- The second is to manipulate enzymes into more thermostable variants by changing their aminoacid structure. Both
tcchnology are successfully used for enzymes stability. We used enzymes ( phytase, B-glucanse,exo- endo cellulase-
etc) both in single and cocktail form and have a good results but some question are still remains
1- The application of enzymes to replace growth promoters or not ?
2- Is their any calicium interaction with dietry phytate and phytase perticularly exogenous ?
3- What is the effect of of phytate and phytase on the endogenous flows of minerals and aminoacids in the
animal gut ?
4- What is the role of enzymes to improve broiler and broiler breeder body weight uniformity ?

Recommend
Rodel Villaraza
17 de junio de 2010
Greetings! Just to add some details from my previous comments. 1. Manufacturers of enzymes used some methods to protect their enzymes from the harsh pelleting temperature. a. oil or gel coating, manipulating genes, Use inherent stable enzymes for high temperature. 2. We are looking to the total mannan of our feed. Even corn and soya with low mannans (around 1.30) can benefit using mannanase because they constitute almost 70-80[percent] of the feeds. This mannanase is much beneficial with high inclusion of copra and palm kernel meal. 3. I used mannanase by decreasing 100 kcal/kg in my formulation.
Recommend
Profile picture
Would you like to discuss another topic? Create a new post to engage with experts in the community.
Join Engormix and be part of the largest agribusiness social network in the world.