Explore
Communities in English
Advertise on Engormix

Improving cow health fertility and milk quality with fat supplementation

Published: December 3, 2015
Summary
Since mid-1980s fertility of UK dairy herds has declined year-on-year as is evidenced by the current calving interval of around 420 days. To put it into perspective, NMR in 2010 estimated the cost of fertility in an average dairy herd of 100 cows was around £25,000 per year. This included lost milk output, excessive culling and attendant veterinary costs. It is argued that genetic selection...
Related topics:
Authors:
Joe Magadi
UFAC
Influencers who recommended :
Alfredo J. Escribano
Recommend
Comment
Kadiwala Dairy Farm
18 de abril de 2016
hello how are you sir If my dairy farm with a cow in Fogr system I want to keep cool, but I heard the Fogger is a problem because of the problem of cows Mastitis is But to prevent these Mastitis so will you kindly remove some suggestion
Recommend
AVR KUMAR
21 de octubre de 2019
Fish meal will give a off flavors to milk . How we can proceed
Recommend
Joe Magadi
UFAC
21 de octubre de 2019
AVR KUMAR , In our system we feed 50g/cow/day of dry fish oil premix (oil absorbed on a fibre material matrix) and we have no taint at all. I hope that helps.
Recommend
Bharat Mane
25 de enero de 2020

AVR KUMAR

Suggest you use linseed oil source, which will help to improve milk fat, fatty acid profile of the milk and also help improve fertility.
If required you may contact us for your requirement of linseed oil based product, which is proven.

Recommend
Dr.FAYAZ.AHMAD SHEIKH
22 de octubre de 2019

It may decrease fibre digestibility as well - fertility.

Recommend
Joe Magadi
UFAC
23 de octubre de 2019

Dr.FAYAZ.AHMAD SHEIKH

I do not understand what you mean by reducing fertility. On digestibility, we have not experienced any reduction. When the fish oil is absorbed in a fibre matrix it escapes rumen metabolism since the particles are less than 2mm and not retained for long in the rumen plus anything that stays is released slowly so no negative impact. At least that is our experience with cows averaging 33 litres and above all year round.

Recommend
mostafa abdelhalim abdelhamid
2 de diciembre de 2019

Joe Magadi How to avoid the smell of fish in the milk produced from cows fed on fish oil?
Thank you.

Recommend
Faruk Aral
22 de octubre de 2019

The type of carbohydrate in the feed (starch, glucose, maltose, sucrose, etc.) may affect liver metabolism and fat metabolism. For example;
In cases where more fatty acids or carbohydrates are present immediately as fuel, VLDL is also made from endogenous triglycerides synthesized from fatty acids or carbohydrates in the liver and delivered to the blood.
If lipoprotein synthesis in the liver is inhibited by a variety of factors, endogenous triglycerides accumulate in the liver and a condition called liver fattening may occur.
This is a simple function related to the behavior of fat in the diet.
While one nutrient increases in the ration, such as the hourglass, the others will decrease.
Adverse effects of liver function and adiposity will affect cow's health, fertility and milk yield.

Recommend
Faruk Aral
23 de octubre de 2019
What type of carbohydrate does the ration contain?
Recommend
Manget Ram Garg
National Dairy Development Board
12 de noviembre de 2019

It is well known and understood that supplementation of bypass fat, especially during the early stage of lactation when the milch animals are in negative energy balance, helps improving milk quality, quantity as well as fertility. Of course, the blend of fatty acids in bypass fat is critical.

But I would like to mention here the important role played by rumen protected Omega fatty acids in improving reproduction in dairy animals. During the research work conducted by us, it was found that the dairy cows under field conditions suffering from anestrous and didn't conceive for more than 6-8 months when fed a blend of rumen protected Omega 3 and Omega 6 fatty acids, more than 85% cows conceived in a period of 8-10 weeks.

Recommend
Muhammad Qayyoom
9 de diciembre de 2019
Manget Ram Garg Dr can i got some help about the feeding behavior of buff? Especially on intake of concentrate ration.
Recommend
Rohit kackar
2 de enero de 2020
Really useful information Dr. sahab!
Recommend
Bharat Mane
25 de enero de 2020
Manget Ram Garg Sir, We have a product, which is an excellent source of Omega 3 and Omega 6 fatty acids. It contains rumen protected unsaturated fatty acids and is very highly bio assimilable. It does not interfere with the normal rumen function, but ensures a very high percentage of rumen bypass of unsaturated fatty acids.
Recommend
Joe Magadi
UFAC
13 de noviembre de 2019
Thanks for the endorsement of the role of omega fatty acids in fertility.
Recommend
Joe Magadi
UFAC
3 de enero de 2020
Hi colleagues, Here is an interesting paper by Santos et al. https://animal.ifas.ufl.edu/apps/dairymedia/rns/2013/8_santos.pdf
Recommend
Gottipati Laxmanrao
29 de diciembre de 2019
Yes,
Recommend
Profile picture
Would you like to discuss another topic? Create a new post to engage with experts in the community.
Join Engormix and be part of the largest agribusiness social network in the world.