Explore
Communities in English
Advertise on Engormix

Very important to avoid Co2 accumulation during brooding

Published: August 30, 2017
By: Ashra Ali Qureshi
It is common observation that chicks are seen well distributed in the shed after arrival and with good start of feeding and drinking but since no adequate fresh air is brought in to the house with speed that cant lift Co2 from chick level and to expel it out. Poultry farmer thinks of saving heating cost and is avoiding even opening air inlets for first 24 hours results poor chick activity and drowsiness in the chicks which are found sleeping and resulting poor feed intake. What happens when Co2 accumulates at chick level due to its property of heavy gas , it makes layer/zone on top of chicks and difficult to remove from house unless one must run minimum ventilation with 800-1000 feet per minutes air speed from inlets which takes Co2 out of the shed. When noted 3rd day of chick age where inlet speed was just 500 ft/min and air cant reach to the center of the house Co2 level was >3500 ppm & chicks were almost 90% were sleeping and resting with crop fill 75% only.
Related topics:
Authors:
Dr. Ashraf Ali Qureshi
Recommend
Comment
Antônio Mário Penz Junior
Cargill
6 de octubre de 2017
Dear All! I understand Dr. Czarick consideration, that is based on experimental results. However, when I am visiting chicken houses, I can see the reaction of chicken when the CO2 is below 1500 pmm and above it. This is the reason that I try to look on that value as reference. If it is not possible to have CO2 below 1500 ppm all the time, I do not know. What I know that is possible to reduce CO2 below 1500 ppm with right ventilation management.
Recommend
osama elsayed
10 de octubre de 2017
What is signs and pm lesion I could see on a bird from Co2 accumulation? And what is the future harms from this bad effect and is this effect predisposing to respiratory other disease ?
Recommend
ahmet nuri bilgin
13 de octubre de 2017
Dear Siarhei, you can ask a mecanical or mechatronic engineer to help you for the ventilation of your house. it is their job. sincerely Ahmet
Recommend
Lawal Sesan
16 de octubre de 2017
Well all the conditions in the brooding pen should be properly monitored, if a good result is expected and one of it is the Co2, the whole of the brooding pen should not be completely covered,the uppermost part closer to the roof and other part should be left slightly opened to allow for free movement of the O2-Co2 so that it will balance automatically,this will go a long way in assisting the chicks for better performance and not only heat should be monitored but other variables
Recommend
Kees
9 de marzo de 2021
This discussion has been focused on the measured CO2 value. I have not seen any statement on the location of the sensor. I have found that the location of the sensor is very important. CO2 is heavier than O2, thus measuring at the ceiling will give you a lower value than measuring at chick level. Than 3000 ppm at chick level can represent the same concentration as 1500 ppm along the ceiling. The same applies to temperature. Cold air is heavier than warm air. We keep our temperature sensors at the ceiling between flocks. The air temperature drops more than 5 F, once I lower the sensors to chick level.
Recommend
Aziz Sacranie
Alltech
10 de marzo de 2021

Kees, The key is every measurement of the house environment is to ensure health and comfort of the birds, therefore we need to take all measurements at the bird level, "a non brainer", Kees is right to make this point as often in the field forget this basic rule.

Recommend
Michael
10 de julio de 2021
What is the best way of eliminating carbon Monoxide cause by coal burning to heat up poultry room . As my chicks are 10 days old and the mortality rate is very high . I have withdrawn all coal from house and using Gas burners and light bulbs now to generate heat and opened some windows also for ventilation. I will need further advise . Kindly please advise
Recommend
Waqar
11 de julio de 2021
Do indirect heating rather direct heating
Recommend
Profile picture
Would you like to discuss another topic? Create a new post to engage with experts in the community.
Join Engormix and be part of the largest agribusiness social network in the world.