Explore
Communities in English
Advertise on Engormix

DDGS in Poultry Feeding

Scope for the High Inclusion of Sorghum Distillers´ Dried Grains with Solubles in Broiler Chicken Diets

Published: June 15, 2011
Summary
Distillers´ dried grains with solubles (DDGS) are increasingly becoming important in poultry feeding. Research into the use of this material has focused largely on maize DDGS from North America and less work has been done on the predominantly sorghum DDGS that are produced in Australia. In preliminary tests, we investigated the variation in nutrient composition of sorghum DDGS and then cond...
Related topics
Authors:
Prof. Paul Iji
University of New England
Follow
Mingan Choct
Follow
Reza Barekatain
Follow
Join to be able to comment.
Once you join Engormix, you will be able to participate in all content and forums.
* Required information
Would you like to discuss another topic? Create a new post to engage with experts in the community.
Create a post
DR.RANE R.S.
Venkys
16 de junio de 2011

DID YOU ANALYSED THE MEAT QUALITY PARAMETER FOR INCLUSION OF Distillers Dried Grains  (DDGS)

Reza Barekatain
16 de junio de 2011

Interesting article about Distillers Dried Grains. Meat quality was not considered in this experiment but according to the literature negligible differences would be expected.

http://ps.fass.org/cgi/content/abstract/88/2/432

Dr. Arshaq A Ramzee
16 de junio de 2011

Due to increase in animal feed production in the world, whatsoever the reason, there is also a great increase in demand of macro and micro ingredients. Production managers all over the world are looking for alternate sources to formulate feed and DDGS is one of them. More research is required to establish DDGS in poultry diets at higher levels, you may add enzyme or some other alternate to increase inclusion of DDGS for safe use of feed. But we need more research to establish facts.

This is a good paper about Distillers Dried Grains. Bbut need to cover more parameters of production.

Prof. Paul Iji
16 de junio de 2011
Thanks, Dr Ramzee. The report came off a major project towards the PhD of the first author. There will be more reports coming, in line with your suggestions. Be on the look-out. Cheers. Paul
Nitin  Suryavanshi
16 de junio de 2011
feed
Nitin  Suryavanshi
16 de junio de 2011
feed cost remains the largest portion of poultry production cost,and alternative approach is needed to formulate low cost feed. the USA ,consumption of corn for ethanol and biodiesel production has led to increase in grain and feed fat price.The research has a good aspect of alternative appraoach and I appreciate the stress to find alternatives,but on the other hand DDDS ,has some constraint and i need to know from the author the following, 1]is there any variation in nutrient content in grains grown in different region. 2]what % of energy content in relation to corn and does it influence the value of sorghum DDGS. 3]what % of variation in moisture level,amino acid digestibility,sodium,potassium,phosphorous etc. 4]during fermentation process if any amount of antibiotic is added ,what is the presence or absence of antibiotic residue in product. 5]any approach to flow characteristic of DDGS. 6] it is observed by NRC[1994] ,that phosphorous values are higher in DDGS,and the available phosphorous differes ,doos it going to affect the use in layers. 7]does DDGS, have a relaible nutrient value. 8]does processing ,temperature ,fermentation process etc,affect the quality of product. 9]at what % it will replace corn,soyabean,bone meal.lysine ,methionine etc. 10]due to constraint in nutrient reliability how it will serve a true indicator in feed
George Mikhael
23 de julio de 2011

Thanks for this very interesting research about Distillers Dried Grains. But I have some questions:
A lot of research recommend that addition of DDGS in poultry should not exceed 10%
Other research say that DDGS is a source of mycotoxins
I need your answers
Thanks,
Regards,

Prof. Paul Iji
23 de julio de 2011

Hi,
Regarding your question, the results of our experiment suggest that up to 15% Distillers Dried Grains (DDGS) not only affect body weight positively but also accompanied with different enzymes results in similar efficiency to corn and soybean meal based diets. We have not contacted any measurements on micotoxins but mortality in the experiment above was not significant among treatment. However, it is of importance to work on the effect of DDGS on health which we have done some works on it and the reports are to be published.
Cheers,
Reza

Prof. Paul Iji
23 de julio de 2011
Hello Nitin, Sorry, we missed your posting and questions. I am on tye road and will provide some brief answers: There surely should be variations between sources of grains, as influenced by climatic/edaphic/agronomic factors. Sorghum DDGS is quite similar to corn DDGS, so I guess the energy contents will be close, but I don't have data on me. Australian producers use less antibiotics than USA producers, which was one reason the American product is not used extensively here. We didn't assess flow rate. There is great variability between batches. More later Paul
Viviane Murer Fruchi
25 de septiembre de 2012

Firstly, congratulations for your work about Distillers Dried Grains.

I would ask, if possible, to send me the article because I will perform similar research with sorghum DDGS in Brazil and do not think scientific basis for sorghum DDGS digestibility. Thus, your work would be the basis in formulating diets.

My email is: vivianefruchi@zootecnista.com.br

I thank you.

Fruchi

Join Engormix and be part of the largest agribusiness social network in the world.
LoginRegister