Explore
Communities in English
Advertise on Engormix

Understanding Mastitis: From Perspective of Inflammation

Published: September 12, 2014
Summary
Inflammation and infection are among the commonest buzzwords in veterinary practice. The fact that inflammation appears to play a major role in many diseases makes it the fieriest topic of discussion nonetheless inflammation protects and heals the body after an injury or infection. Inflammation is an amazing process that, from the surface appears swelling and can hurt, but it’s all part of ...
Related topics:
Authors:
Dr. Zafar Ahmad
Natural Remedies Private Limited
Dr. Divya Divakaran
Natural Remedies Private Limited
Recommend
Comment
Dr. M.N.balakrishnan Nair
9 de febrero de 2015
9/2/2015 M N B Nair .A combination of Aloe vera , turmeric and calcium hydroxide has worked wonderfully to cure any type of mastitis (sub-clinical, clinical and chronic) . The combination is antimicrobial, anti inflammatory and wound cleansing. field tested in 350 cases with 97% efficacy in three South Indian states. we have trained 150 veterinarians to use it the above result is the feed-back from them documented systematically. this can reduce the use of antibiotics substantially. This combination is cost effective, efficacious and reduce the use of antibiotics. There is no loss of production of milk and also can be used as preventive measure.
Recommend
Lorenzo Quesnel
Perry Brook Dairy Farm
3 de julio de 2019
Dr. M.N.balakrishnan Nair Is this formula available today? In USA we too need less antibiotic. Also in another forum you spoke of treating mastitis to include two lemons am/pm, is this for body PH or for Vitamin C? lpq@email.com
Recommend
Jasmer Singh
9 de febrero de 2015
Hi Joe, I would like to refer you to our detailed article on mastitis in dairy animals published in engormix -Forum- sometime ago. Please go through it if you have any misconceptions let me know which we can discuss here. In fact mastitis is the major economical disease affecting dairying today and needs proper control measures. Regards Jasmer Singh Ph D
Recommend
Linda Mcmillan
11 de febrero de 2015
Hi Jose. I have not done any "scientific" studies of the garlic treatment and only know what we have seen happen here at La Hacienda Caprina La Alpinita, in the Dominican Republic. We use intensive herd management milking our saanan and alpine dairy goats twice a day. Sometimes we have "lumps" form in the udders of the milking does which may be classified as cysts. We have not had them cultured. We have treated some with antibiotics using different treatments and recording the results on the farm. However, systematic or even local antibiotics take the doe out of valuable saleable milk production for as long as 3-4 weeks. Having learned that garlic is a natural antibiotic as well as anti-inflammatory, we decided to use garlic orally (2-3 cloves per doe twice a day) and have definitely notice a difference, sometimes in as short a time as 10 days but with others, while seeing a decrease in the size of the cyst, take almost 30 days to disappear. Also, after kidding, our higher producers will sometimes back up their milk and create edema. This happened just last week with a good milking does. 2 days after kidding, her udder began to firm up and external signs indicated edema. We started her on garlic (nothing else) and within 2 days her udder was once again soft and suple. Kids were thriving. I don't know how much you would have to use on the cows. Our goats weigh an average of 140 to 155 lbs. Since we do intensive management it is easy for us to give them the garlic orally. At first they try to refuse it but about the 3rd time they are looking for it. Hope this help and if you try it, please let me know how the trial went. Linda
Recommend
Viswanatha Reddy
27 de junio de 2019

Linda Mcmillan
Sodium citrate and Tri sodium citrate are same. This is being used in cattle as Banmast 50 in a coated form to prevent its degredation in the rumen. We use 50 grams of this product in 250 ml per day for all cases of sub clinical mastitis tested by California Mastitis Test. Maximum it is used for 10 days.

In human homeo drugs Carboveg 30, Sulfur 30 and Silicia 30 are used in mastitis. Same combination few farmers use once a week one dose of 20 pills of 30 size sugar globules to prevent mastitis . I have to collect the data

To cure udder oedema 30 grams of camphor crystals dissolved in 30 ml of warm edible oil and mixed with 1 liter of water in which 100 grams of jaggery is dissolved. this mixture of both give twice a day for 2 to 3 days. OR
Homoe drugs Natrum sulph 200 and Digitalis 30 each 10 pills of 30 size 3 times a day for a week are given OR
200ml of mannitol is injected intravenously daily for 5 days and fed with 5 tablets of Diamox (250 mg) twice a day for 5 days

The above treatments are done for cows weighing around 500 to 600 kg body weight
V N Viswaatha reddy
Retd Professor (Animal reproduction)
Vetriary college, Bangalore India
(91)9448052640 vnvreddy2004@gmail.com

Recommend
Petr Vlasak
11 de febrero de 2015
Please take a look at www.immlab.com, they have the technology for mastitis problem. Its not on the market yet.
Recommend
Linda Mcmillan
11 de febrero de 2015
Thank you Petr. I reviewed the information. I'm wondering if any verified field trials have been conducted.
Recommend
Alfredo J. Escribano
Orffa Excentials
17 de abril de 2015
Congrats for the article. Among the potential interventions, I would like to highlight the great role of cupper and zinc is udder health and disease to mastitis prevention. Regards, Alfredo.
Recommend
Lorenzo Quesnel
Perry Brook Dairy Farm
26 de junio de 2019
Alfredo J. Escribano Would copper and zinc methionine as rumen protected treat or prevent Digital Dermatitis as a daily tmr feed additive? It appears Mugwort also has an effect on treponema palladium.
Recommend
Lorenzo Quesnel
Perry Brook Dairy Farm
26 de junio de 2019

Is there such a thing as injectable dandelion extract for fresh cows and injectable curcumin for our pre fresh cows?

Recommend
Sanjiv Kumar
2 de julio de 2019
What will proper treatment allopathy as well homeopathy for repeat mastitis as watery milk coming and milk drying off gradually (some say its e.coli infection),no physical inflammation but little pain in teay having watery milk?
Recommend
Profile picture
Would you like to discuss another topic? Create a new post to engage with experts in the community.
Join Engormix and be part of the largest agribusiness social network in the world.