Explore
Communities in English
Advertise on Engormix

Mastitis in buffalo

Pathobiology, etiology and novel mastitis therapy in buffalo

Published: January 27, 2012
Summary
Abstract              Milk pH of 21 dairy buffaloes suffering from clinical mastitis ranged from 7.00-8.50. Citrate content of mastitic milk ranged from 24.00-47.50 mg /100ml. Cultured milk yielded Staphylococci, Streptococci , Escherichia coli , Bacilli and Klebsiella . The animals were treated with 12gm and 30gm of tri-Sodium citrate in 250 ml of water ...
Related topics
Authors:
Jasmer Singh
Follow
Join to be able to comment.
Once you join Engormix, you will be able to participate in all content and forums.
* Required information
Would you like to discuss another topic? Create a new post to engage with experts in the community.
Create a post
Qamar Abbas
8 de febrero de 2013

Thanks.

P.k.sethi
9 de febrero de 2013

This refers to Dr. Neelesh Sharma's post dated 02/18/2012 . I would like to know in how many cases of mastitis he has used homeopathy as treatment modality ? I feel his remark very casual with regard to homeopathy .

P.K.Sethi

Ghazanfar Ali Chishti
19 de febrero de 2013

Dear Sir Jasmer,
Could this citrate therapy help in reversal of fibrosis in teat canal?
Can u suggest therapy for advanced cases/chronic cases and also for fibrosis?
Regards
Ghazanfar Chishti

Dr. Eman Mohamed Ahmed Abd El Mottaleb
24 de febrero de 2013

I am searash about stem cells therapy in mastitis. Does anyone know about that???

Jasmer Singh
2 de abril de 2013

Hello Dr Eman, Many people are working on these studies that appears to be of academic importance. However, in my opinon we should aim at investigations which could be of some use in the field for controling diseases of economic importance.

Jasmer

Assanandmehta
29 de abril de 2013
I AM CONVINCED ABOUT THE CITRATE THEORY HOW TO GET THIS KIT IN NORTHERN PARTS OF INDIA WANT TO KNOW MORE ABOUT MASTITIS THERAPIES .
Jasmer Singh
29 de abril de 2013

Hello Mr Mehta, You appear to be quite a progressive dairy farmer and I would advise a bit more. Mastitis is primarily due to deficiency of Citrate synthesis in udder which result in formation of flakse in the milk that behave like lime and cause injury to the secretory epithelium. Injury leads to inflammation and subsequent damaging effects in the udder. Administeration of tri-Sodium citrate @ six gms dissolved in about 250 ml of drinking water as a drench for 3-5 days cures the disease. tri-Sodium citrate can be procured from shops dealing in chemicals from your neighbouring areas. You should record pH of milk of affected animals and healthy ones to monitor if there is any chance of developing mastitis and preventive doses of tri-Sodium citrate can be given. Any further enquiry which you may need please don't hesitate to contact me and share the results of your implementation of this process at your farm. By the way how many dairy animals-cows and buffaloes are you maintaining at your farm/
With regards Jasmer

Dr.shahnawaz
30 de abril de 2013

Yes you are right . We use traditionally the lemon for therapy of mastitis.

Jasmer Singh
30 de abril de 2013

Hi Dr Shahnawaz, I would request you to use tri-Sodium citrate orally as well as I/V after recording the pH of milk on the spot with graded pH papers which may be procured from shops dealing with labortory chemicals in your area. I/V use of this salt hastens the recovery within usually 1-2 days. Morover, this treatment is most successfull against mastitis cases resistant to in vouge antibacterial drugs used to control mastitis. We have used this treatment not only in cow or buffalo but in other animals like goat/sheep successfully. The basic fact is that the process of milk secretion is remarkably similar in almost all the mammals (including humans) though the biochemical composition may vary slightly in different species.Therefore, any aberration in the synthesis of citrate in milk producing units-alveoli and lobulles would result in mastitis and other complications. Estimation of citrate in milk shall prove a boon to control mastitis prevalence on any established dairy farm of some standing with large number of quality animals. You or any of your colleagues can share results with me of this treatment with me for further discussions.
with regards Jasmer

Mohamed Habib
2 de junio de 2013
Dear.Dr,Jasmer Singh thank you for this research iam already making trials with T.S.C my question is ,does this drug change blood or urine or rumen ph of the cow? thank you best regards Habib
Jasmer Singh
2 de junio de 2013
Hello Dr Habib, As you know citrate is an essential component of Tricarboxylic acid cycle and is obligatotry for the production of energy throughout the body for different systems to cope with sustenance of life. As pH is very important factor in maintaining various catalytic reactions in which citrate plays crucial roles, hence, its role in maintaining pH in different systems need not be overemphasized. I would request you to record pH of milk or any other secretion from udder on the spot, with graded pH paper strips. This procedure is very cheap, easy and reliable. Furthermore, if possible measure the citrate content of milk at different times of lactation and whenever there is increase in pH just give TSC @ 6gm for 3-5 days. Citrate can also be used as a preventative on dairy farms. Pl do communicate for further trials and any information. with regards Jasmer
Mohamed Habib
3 de junio de 2013
Dear Dr.Jasmer, Thank you very much i have treated 6 cows (clinical mastitis)with tsc 5 recovered&1 changed to antibiotic therapy i think this is good result i purchased 1 kg pure for iv 5kg for oral i will complete trials and inform you about results i monitor only milk ph but cannot estimate citrate in the milk only i ask again about any side effect. thank you best regards
Jasmer Singh
3 de junio de 2013
Hello Dr Habib, Thanks a lot for your reply. There are no side effects of TSC as the recommended dose. You can give 5% TSC in sterilized narmal saline I/V in some refrectory cases. You can give 50ml morning and evening doses as I/V and than orally, if required. Please intimate me the pH values and I would give you some more information regarding its prognosis. with regards Jasmer
Lok Raj Joshi
6 de junio de 2013
What about feeding sodium bicarbonate to the mastitis cattle ?
Jasmer Singh
20 de septiembre de 2013

Hello Dr Habib, Did not hear from you for quite long. I am to request you for one favour, I need some data on the pH values of mare/jennies milk at different stages of lactation and any incidence of mastitis and its treatment. You can try this treatment with TSC at the same dose as in cow/buffalo. Furthermore, you can also record pH of pregnant mare teat secretions to identify the time of foaling. Also tell me about other cases of mastitis you have treated with TSC. Pl see the cases which are refrectory to TSC orally you should try I/V 5% TSC for better results.
Cieo Jasmer

muhammad ibrahim
14 de enero de 2014
dear sir, i am ibrahim from pakistan i have own dairy farm.in this winter season mastitis disease in so many catlle.we have required tri sodium citrate we can,t understand tri sodium citrate pls send the detail in email id fairdealdairyfarm@hotmail.com
Udhayashankar Veeramani
16 de septiembre de 2014
Dear Jasmer Sir, Does administration of sodium citrate intravenously will interfere blood clotting mechanism? Kindly give me the clarification.. Thanks and regards, Dr Udhayashankar
Umberto Francesa
12 de mayo de 2015
I am still wondering about the same question that Dr. Udhayashankar, posted almost a year ago. Umberto Francesa, DVM
Jasmer Singh
12 de mayo de 2015

Hello Dr. UD and Um,

As it is known for general information, Citrate is used as an anticoagulent in blood for transfusion @ three gms/Unit of blood and one unit of blood is equivalent to 450ml. When we use Trisodium citrate to treat mastitis it is used as 5% sterile sol. and as 50ml as one dose at a time and just imagine how much volume of blood is there in an adult cow or a buffalo and the dilution of citrate thereof. I think you got the answer.

Jasmer Singh Ph D

Dr.sooraj Maroti Patil
10 de septiembre de 2019
Hi.what is the treatment of protocol of suddenly one or two teats swollen wi th normal milk in primiparous she buffalo? Pls suggests tr andvaluable views regarding this
Join Engormix and be part of the largest agribusiness social network in the world.
LoginRegister