Explore
Communities in English
Advertise on Engormix

Biosecurity in Fish Farms. Alicia Estevez (IRTA)

Published: January 5, 2015
IRTA researcher Alicia Estévez explains some of the practices adopted in a fish farm to reduce the risk of introduction and spread of pathogens in the facilities.
Related topics
Authors:
Alicia Estevez
IRTA
Follow
Join to be able to comment.
Once you join Engormix, you will be able to participate in all content and forums.
* Required information
Would you like to discuss another topic? Create a new post to engage with experts in the community.
Create a post
Nihar Chatterjee
West Bengal University of Animal and Fishery Sciences
12 de enero de 2015
Dear Alicia I like to learn in detail about the importance of biosecurity in aquaculture management . I will be happy if you help me in this regard. Lots of love and belated happy new year. Prof. Nihar Chattopadhyay
Mohamed Tag Shehab
22 de enero de 2015

How come that you talk about biosecurity and you are siphoning the faeces and wastes of fish directly on the ground of a bioesured lab?

Wayne Beattie
7 de abril de 2015
Biosecurity procedures are/should be as simple as following procedure manuals. The best of planning still comes down to human actions, this video is really good, this facility looks really good, it appears to have a place for everything & everything in it's place, except our gowned speaker PICKS up shoes of visitor & places shoes into clothing rack WITHOUT ANY FURTHER DECONTAMINATION EFFORTS. There for bypassing biosecurity protocols. As for siphoning faeces & food wast onto floor to be tramped around, should have been into a bucket at least. NB- Maybe editing remove the hygene part & our presenter is being put under the microscope unfairly.
Alicia Estevez
IRTA
19 de mayo de 2015

The shoes of the visitor were put in a clothing rack, boots and labcoat provided to the visitor and before entering the facilities (the clothing rack is just in the door of the facilities) the visitor and everybody pass throught a footbath (pediluvio in Spanish) full with chlorine. So the shoes of the visitor were not cleaned because other shoes (boots) were provided before entering and because with that other boots the visitor pass through chlorine. Do you think that disinfection is not enough?
We haven't show it in the vídeo but before entering any room (especially in larval rearing and pathology rooms) there is also a hand sanitization dispenser.
In the case of siphoning the floor is then completely washed with freshwater and chlorine.

Abanum endurance
7 de julio de 2015
Pls whats is/are the expected component(s) of an idea hand sanitizer. And how can we improvise in the absence of them?. Thanks
Faruk Aral
9 de enero de 2019
Dear Alicia I would like to have detailed information about the importance of biosecurity in aquaculture. I'd be happy if you could help me with that. With all respect.
Faruk Aral
9 de enero de 2019
How do you prevent microbial contamination from water? Is it appropriate to dispose of waste directly on the ground?
Nihar Chatterjee
West Bengal University of Animal and Fishery Sciences
10 de enero de 2019

Yes, I will be happy to know.

Join Engormix and be part of the largest agribusiness social network in the world.
LoginRegister