Explore
Communities in English
Advertise on Engormix

Nighttime Air Quality

Published: January 15, 2015
Summary
Figure 1.  Cilia During cool weather, maintaining good air quality is vital to avoid bird health issues. It is a 24-hour-a-day, seven-day-a-week, job. One of the most important air quality variables that must be kept to a minimum is ammonia. High ammonia levels can paralyze and/or damage a bird’s tracheal cilia, which are a vital tool a bird uses to fight off disease. The cilia are ...
Related topics:
Authors:
Mike Czarick
University of Georgia
Dr. Brian D. Fairchild
University of Georgia
Dr. Brian Jordan
University of Georgia
Influencers who recommended :
Dr. Mehmet Kuran
Recommend
Comment
Tim M. Asbridge
Rose Acre Farms
11 de diciembre de 2019
Variable speed fans can have a profound impact on this type of problem. I have found that by reducing the air volume by slowing fan speed rather than intermittent cycling of exhaust fans the temperatures are much more stable and don't have the cooling effect that typically occur when fans are running at full speed intermittently. Variable fans also prevent the heating and cooling cycles which happen with cycling fans on and off.
Recommend
Kasame Trakullerswilai
Saha Farms
17 de diciembre de 2019
I think so esp in winter time
Recommend
Ling Yoke Kooi
1 de enero de 2020
Slowing down wind speed is an ideal solution for night time ventilation. However, may I know what kind of fan that we can adjust for such big exhaust fan and economical. Thank you
Recommend
Tim M. Asbridge
Rose Acre Farms
1 de enero de 2020
Ling Yoke Kooi Today's variable speed drives are compatible with nearly every fan motor provided. The drives become an accessory for a single fan or multiple fans. As long as the drive matches the total electrical load of the fans, they can achieve great flexibility. It is a good idea to limit the variable reduction to around thirty percent of the fan maximum performance data on the low side.
Recommend
Ling Yoke Kooi
1 de enero de 2020

Dear Tim M. Asbridge, I'm not too sure is it compatible with my china-made exhaust fan motors. I had an idea of getting the inverted exhaust fan, but it's very expensive here. Therefore, in order to play with the variable speed, my only choice is fan vs space for now.

Recommend
Profile picture
Would you like to discuss another topic? Create a new post to engage with experts in the community.
Join Engormix and be part of the largest agribusiness social network in the world.