Nighttime Air Quality

Published on: 02/22/2015
Author/s : Dr. Mike Czarick, Dr. Brian D. Fairchild and Brian Jordan (University of Georgia)

Figure 1. Cilia During cool weather, maintaining good air quality is vital to avoid bird health issues. It is a 24-hour-a-day, seven-day-a-week, job. One of the most important air quality variables that must be kept to a minimum is ammonia. High ammonia levels can paralyze and/or damage a bird’s tracheal cilia, which are a vital tool a bird uses to fight off disease. The cilia are micr...

remove_red_eye 2334 forum 25 bar_chart Statistics share print
Share :
close
December 11, 2019
Variable speed fans can have a profound impact on this type of problem. I have found that by reducing the air volume by slowing fan speed rather than intermittent cycling of exhaust fans the temperatures are much more stable and don't have the cooling effect that typically occur when fans are running at full speed intermittently. Variable fans also prevent the heating and cooling cycles which happen with cycling fans on and off.
Kasame Trakullerswilai Kasame Trakullerswilai
Bacheler of Veterinary Medicine
December 17, 2019
I think so esp in winter time
Ling Yoke Kooi Ling Yoke Kooi
Poultry farmer
January 1, 2020
Slowing down wind speed is an ideal solution for night time ventilation. However, may I know what kind of fan that we can adjust for such big exhaust fan and economical. Thank you
January 1, 2020
Ling Yoke Kooi Today's variable speed drives are compatible with nearly every fan motor provided. The drives become an accessory for a single fan or multiple fans. As long as the drive matches the total electrical load of the fans, they can achieve great flexibility. It is a good idea to limit the variable reduction to around thirty percent of the fan maximum performance data on the low side.
Ling Yoke Kooi Ling Yoke Kooi
Poultry farmer
January 1, 2020

Dear Tim M. Asbridge, I'm not too sure is it compatible with my china-made exhaust fan motors. I had an idea of getting the inverted exhaust fan, but it's very expensive here. Therefore, in order to play with the variable speed, my only choice is fan vs space for now.

print
(2334)
(25)
Engormix reserves the right to delete and/or modify comments. See more details
Post a comment
Create new discussion :
If this discussion does not cover topics of interest or raises new questions, you can create another discussion.
Consult a professional in private:
If you have a specific problem you can perform a consultation privately to a professional in our community.
Fred Hoerr
Fred Hoerr
DVM, PhD, Diplomate ACVP, ACPV
  Nashville, Tennessee, United States

| 
Copyright © 1999-2020 Engormix - All Rights Reserved