Explore
Communities in English
Advertise on Engormix

Marek's Disease (MD, Range Paralysis, Gray Eye)

Published: October 16, 2013
Summary
What is it? Marek's disease (MD) is the most commonly diagnosed disease in backyard chickens. Many types of birds can be affected, but chickens seem to be the most susceptible. Marek's disease is caused by a herpes virus that results in tumors in various parts of the bird. Once infected, the birds become carriers for life. The virus is present everywhere in the environment where chickens are ...
Related topics
Authors:
David Frame
Utah State University
Follow
Join to be able to comment.
Once you join Engormix, you will be able to participate in all content and forums.
* Required information
Would you like to discuss another topic? Create a new post to engage with experts in the community.
Create a post
Steve Tone
16 de octubre de 2013
Given that the MD virus is present everywhere, it would seem that taking additional actions to clean and disinfect would not make any difference in final outcomes. Thus, it would seem that vaccination is the only possible defense, and even then, not completely effective.
Karen Fletcher
2 de noviembre de 2014
I was under the belief that cleaning reduces the concentration of virus therefore helping the vaccine maintain coverage. I have had some chickens hatched here in my MDV infected home, sent out to a farm to live, a few came back a few months later and never had a problem with Marek's. Do you suppose that having a "break time" for a few months may give an exposed chicken a better chance of not succumbing to the virus?
David Frame
Utah State University
3 de noviembre de 2014
It is commonly stated that Marek's disease virus is present in most premises where chickens have been housed. It makes sense to assume that cleaning and disinfecting will reduce heavy exposure. Chickens can (and do) pick up virus; however, thus doesn't necessarily mean they will become ill -- in fact, most do not. Environmental conditions and breed/strain resistance play a significant role in MD actually manifesting itself in causing clinical signs and illness.
Daniel Mc Elroy
3 de noviembre de 2014
will have to come a time when all chicks have to be put together in a all viral states and bacteria infested coop and let them sort it out themselves, with only good grain as feed, and plain water. nothing else immunity needs to be sought, a last man standing sort of program then hens breed from the best and what ever environment they cam from some of the environment moved to there new homes to prepare there immunity in there new coop.
Mohammad Ismail
22 de agosto de 2016
what would be the vaccination schedule for commercial layer in Bangladesh?
Satish Kumar
30 de junio de 2017
I have 14-weeks Layer birds affected from Mareks disease. There is daily mortality of 30 birds from last 10-days. Kindly suggest it's treatment .
Join Engormix and be part of the largest agribusiness social network in the world.
LoginRegister