Explore
Communities in English
Advertise on Engormix

Prolapse in commercial layers

Prolapse in commercial layers

Published: June 21, 2011
By: Chandra

Could anybody suggest me a medicine for prolapse problem in deep litter of bovans breed which are in 23 week and the weigtht is 1.500kg of bovans breed kindly suggest me the lighting program. I am incurring daily mortality of 5 birds per day. Please help me.

Chandra Sekhar

Related topics
Influencers who recommended :
Dr Charles Ibe
Join to be able to comment.
Once you join Engormix, you will be able to participate in all content and forums.
* Required information
Would you like to discuss another topic? Create a new post to engage with experts in the community.
Create a post
Robert Huggins
4 de marzo de 2019
Hi Me-navid, is your flock 28 weeks of age or 28 months? Please clarify, as you initially said they were 28 weeks of age.
Me-navid
5 de marzo de 2019
Robert Huggins Hi, My flock age is 28 month.
Gustavo javier Leoni
Zoetis
5 de marzo de 2019

What is your opinion about preventing, ascending colibacillosis, with E-Coli vaccines in the recrias?

Dr Charles Ibe
5 de marzo de 2019
The major cause of prolapse in early laying birds is high light intensity. Please reduce your artificial lighting in dark period. You can do that by reducing the number of bulbs
AKBAR ALI
6 de marzo de 2019

Thanks a lot.

Tarusenga Munyanyi
6 de marzo de 2019

Weights and feed are very important. Underweight birds may produce eggs that big as a result of overfeeding leading to large eggs that cause prolapse. Early photo stimulation can cause that again. Manage your weights as well as the nutrition content of the feed, that is protein and energy, they have a big effect on prolapse problems.

Robert Huggins
6 de marzo de 2019

Hi Me-navid, at 28 months of age(112 weeks) and 80% production, your birds are doing well. They are still overweight but at this age, and the fact you are feeding more feed than required due to the increased body weight, you now have to ask yourself the question as to whether you should keep these birds in the production cycle, or should moult them and bring them back into production, or terminate the flock and start a new one. It will get to a point where your cost of production is going to surpass the returns you are getting from your egg production. If you decide to go the moulting route, be prepared you can have increased mortality, but your birds can be brought back into production, but at 28 months of age I really can't say how well they will produce.

Dr. Mahbub
7 de marzo de 2019

I found prolapse of white leg horn bird having body weight 1300 gm at 35 weeks of age. We added extra calcium & Vit AD3E through drinking water, additional phytase enzyme through feed, light about 15 hours daily. But the prolapse problem continues. What will be a better suggestion?

Nawaz Ahmad
20 de marzo de 2020
Dr. Mahbub Under weight Birds.
Robert Huggins
7 de marzo de 2019

Dr Mahbub, what strain of bird are you using?

Dr. Mahbub
8 de marzo de 2019

The bird's strain is Novogen white commercial stock.

Robert Huggins
9 de marzo de 2019

Prolapse in layers is of concern when birds are either underweight at time of changing from a growing ration to a prelay and then a laying ration. Birds that have a small frame due to underfeeding during the growing phase, and poor uniformity. Overcoming these factors means paying more attention to body weight and uniformity. A good guide is the management guide produced by the breed company you are buying your birds from. Weighing should be done weekly if possible, otherwise at least every two weeks with a representative sample collected, around 100 birds taken from the same areas each time. Now for your present flock. You said that your birds are 35 weeks of age and weighing 1300 grams. According to the management guide, your birds should be between 1500 to 1600 grams or slightly heavier which tells me your birds are underweight. Using a laying ration designed for heavier birds may not be suitable so you will need to talk to your nutritionist and get some suggestions. He may have to look at the amino acids and make adjustments to reduce egg size. Other than that there is not much more you can do unless you want to moult and bring back into production, but this is not always advisable unless you are either experienced in doing so, or the laws allow you to moult.

Dr. Mahbub
10 de marzo de 2019
Dear Robert Huggins Good day Thanks for your explanation Thanks & Regards Dr. Mahbub
Santosh Kumar
11 de marzo de 2019
Please suggest, stop the prolapse cause, light time, medicine schedule, Bird age 28 weeks
Dr. Mahbub
12 de marzo de 2019
What is the acurate light time (Sun light + artificial) for novogen white after 30 weeks of age?
Dr Charles Ibe
12 de marzo de 2019
Dr. Mahbub 14 to 15 hrs light time a day .
Robert Huggins
12 de marzo de 2019
There is no medicine to control prolapse in laying hens. This is a management problem caused by having poor uniformity, small framed and underweight birds, stimulating to early for egg production before birds have attained their correct body weights and size. Prolapse is the result of these birds forcing to lay large and extra large eggs for which their body frame is not ready to produce. As far as lighting goes follow the management guide as a rule of thumb and work from there.
Dr. Ravikumar Meshram
Chembondindia
14 de marzo de 2019
Robert Huggins nice and true information sir
Emad Elgazzar
AL WADI POULTRY FARMS COMPANY
18 de marzo de 2019
Robert Huggins yes sure that.s right 100% prof.Huggins but there are some factors cause that problem increased in incidence or in severity .
Md. Abdullah Ansari
12 de marzo de 2019
Very good and informative article.
Md. Abdullah Ansari
13 de marzo de 2019
Proper nutrition and fat quality may also affect prolapse in laying hen.
Narayan Banik
18 de marzo de 2019

Very nice topic but we need correct information so that prolapse could be corrected. In the growing period, proper nutrition is required for body building. Body weight should be maintained as per age and photoperiod also be maintained.

There are some rules for beed.

Peter Ssenkungu
19 de marzo de 2019

So much a cause of loses in this area. Pullet growth monitoring is the rule of thumb to avert such a problem.

Uganda has quite a lot of this are farmers are left frustrated losing quite a number of birds.

Mohamed Ali
CPC - Cairo Poultry Company
19 de marzo de 2019
Yes, Totally agree.
ORUH PRECIOUS
19 de marzo de 2019
Very nice and educating. Thanks sir
Join Engormix and be part of the largest agribusiness social network in the world.
LoginRegister