Explore
Communities in English
Advertise on Engormix

Pakistan- Dangerous Milk? Steroid Injections for Cows Could Endanger Human Lives

Published: September 13, 2007
Summary
The milk from cows injected with steroids may cause low immunity level in humans, leading to several diseases. Such animals are given steroids so that they can produce more milk. Also, steroid injections are known to speed up the process of fowl or calf birth in animals. Several cattle pen owners use this unnatural method to increase their profits. Sadly, this also leads to low infertility among...
Related topics:
Recommend
Comment
Dr.v.velan
Kemin Industries, Inc
13 de diciembre de 2011
Dear Dr. T.K mohanthy, Thanks for your informative things. really need to think about use of crude extract oxytocin in long term. It may cause some side effects of ST. Thanks and regards Dr.Thirumeignanam
Recommend
Artabandhu Sahoo
13 de diciembre de 2011
Oxytocin is used universally in the livestock industry to increase letdown and expulsion of retained placentas after delivery.The half-life of oxytocin in blood is 0.55 to 3.6 minutes and it does not appear to be eliminated in the milk. The reports on the harmful effects of milk produced by oxytocin treated cows are quite misleading and not based on scientific facts. Whether secreted endogenously or administered exogenously, oxytocin produces the desired effect within minutes and gets metabolized rapidly leaving inactive products. However, the milch animals are treated like milk-producing machines and are given large doses of hormones that cause them to produce unnaturally large quantities of milk. Thus oxytocin is widely used, even though its use is illegal. In a survey, it is observed that 82% cattle breeders were using oxytocin injection in Delhi, 62-68% in the adjoining areas of Delhi like Sonipat, Rohtak, Faridabad, Gohana, Bahadurgarh, Loni, Ghaziabad, Hapur, Buland Shahr etc. and 23-32% from remote areas of Uttar Pradesh and Haryana. City milkmen who used the hormonal injection to induce the cow to give more milk are largely ignorant of its subsequent effects on the body reserve and reproductive system of the cow. Usually after 5 to 6 months of conceiving, animals stop giving milk but cattle breeders continue milking the cattle 3-4 mo more by injecting oxytocin. The drug makes cows suffer severe stomach cramps that feel like labour pain. Its use in pregnant animals may cause abortion and is also unscientific, since oxytocin receptors remain absent throughout pregnancy and appear only towards the end of the gestation period. On the other hand, there is draining of body reserves and farmers fails to meet nutritional adequacy to make the cow recover for the next reproductive and/or productive life cycle. This indiscriminate misuse of oxytocin is one of the primary contributory factors in drastically reducing the economic span of a cow/buffalo. Based on past record of milk production, most often the livestock owner sales it to another farmer who became at the receiving end of production failure and hasty economic burden to meet even the cost of buying a cow or buffalo.
Recommend
Dr.Tadimeti Hanumanta
Intas Pharmaceuticals Ltd.
13 de diciembre de 2011
Dear Sir, Mr. Ramachandran Balagopal I beg to state that I have not mentioned about the "Seepage of Oxytocin" out of any research paper; or my own experience. Ihave told that these are the extracts of "Animal Welfare Board of India's Official Website" I would express my apologies if any one has felt that these are either documented researches; or my own experiences. I am also thankful to Dr. T K Mohanty for his insight into the manufacturing process of Veterinary Oxytocin in India
Recommend
Ralph Ginsberg
C.Y.C. Agricultural Technologies & Management Ltd
13 de diciembre de 2011
Let us get the facts in order. Good udder stimulation results in high levels of Oxyocin being released from the pituitaty gland of the cow. Oxytocin is blocked by adrenalin as a result of rough treatment of the cow. Oxytocin has a very short half life (aprox.) six minutes. There will be no milk let- down unless Oxytocin is released into the blood stream during the milking process. There is no Oxytocin in marketed milk and Oxytocin is not a health problem. From my little knowledge of buffalo milking (I only work with one herd) Oxytocin release is not the same as in cows. The farmer is injecting some of his buffalo in order to stimulate milk let-down.
Recommend
Javad Zamiri
Shiraz University
13 de diciembre de 2011
It is important to have a good knowledge of the literature before making any scientific comments. Oxytocin has not yet been shown to be associated with side effects in human. This is secreted in nursing women. A Woman who nurses her child frequently, as happens in many tribal communities while carrying the child almost during the working days, secrete a large amount of oxytocin. If oxytocin were to to harm her, this would be against the nature way of successful propagation of the species. Besides, oxytocing consumed in the milk, being a peptide, is broken down in the digestive tract by the action of proteases. Therefore, the consumption of such milk, if contains any oxytocin, is unlikely to be harmful to humans. Dr. MJ Zamiri, Shiraz University, Iran (Physiologist)
Recommend
Shashi Taunk
11 de enero de 2012
The press & media release are not weighed in many instances before publication. Availability of easy Scientific Information saves one from altering the belief/confidence. Logic expressed so far here in this forum is straight forward and true. Thanks COmmunity.
Recommend
Dr Muhammad Ramzan
11 de enero de 2012
Good paper. We should not forget the suffering of cow/buffaloe like severe stomach cramps ,abortion and draining of body reserves. Before administering oxytocine we shall be care ful. Regards
Recommend
Ghani Tahir
Ghani Tahir
11 de enero de 2012
i have bad experience on my farm about oxycetocin.One of my buffalo got abortion and three buffalos are not coming in heat circule to get cross.
Recommend
Drmuhammad Shafique
13 de enero de 2012
it is the good findings about misconceptions about the use of oxytocin in buffaloes and cattle.it is now clear about the safe use of oxytocin. DR.MUHAMMAD SHAFIQUE DAIRY CONSULTANT, Email.drshafique79@hotmail.com cell#+923017024782
Recommend
Drmuhammad Shafique
13 de enero de 2012
the lacteal secretions are suppressed due the use of steroid in cattle and buffaloes,some time this lacteal secretion suppression is permanent and dairy animals are dried permanently. the desired benefits are not achieved in mastitis cases by use of prednisolone and prednisolone like products.
Recommend
Dr. Malik Muhammad Ali
Maxim International (Pvt) Ltd.
18 de febrero de 2013

Dear All,

What I felt after studying this whole article and discussion is that the author just wants to get his name in Paper and website. I hope he would have visited one farm and have created a firing story. All professionals have different indication to Problems. This author have used a sensitive topic for Yellow Journalism. So I won't comment on this topic all of you guys with your precious knowledge plz start a new discussion on how to replace oxytocin with other letdown options.

Regards,

Recommend
Bala Ram Thapa
16 de agosto de 2014

Here in Nepal we have a big discussion whether to use oxytocin or not in dairy animal. All the news have published this issue. Any suggestions?

Recommend
Tushar Kumar Mohanty
16 de agosto de 2014
Dear all, Can any one confirm which type of Oxytocin dairy farmers are using. Can you take photograph of the lebeling and type of ampuls used. Thank you
Recommend
Tayyab Choudhary
14 de abril de 2023
Tushar Kumar Mohanty Yes Sir, I got some pictures.
Recommend
Avr Kumar
27 de agosto de 2014
being a dairy person we never found any oxytocin residues in pasteurized milk so once the milk boils it may disappear since it has low heat satbility
Recommend
Dr. A.K.M.Serajul Hoq
29 de octubre de 2014
Good discussion.
Recommend
Arslan Faiz
7 de julio de 2015
What the name of this injection ????
Recommend
Flora Luo
2 de septiembre de 2019

Know more functions and effects of steroids.

Recommend
Profile picture
Would you like to discuss another topic? Create a new post to engage with experts in the community.
Join Engormix and be part of the largest agribusiness social network in the world.