Explore
Communities in English
Advertise on Engormix

Aquaculture: Most efficient system for obtaining animal protein

Published: October 7, 2016
Summary
"Aquaculture is today the most efficient system for obtaining animal protein", said official FAO Subregional Headquarters for Mesoamerica, Carlos Eduardo Pulgarín.   "Through this practice, a ton of animal protein can be obtained in less space than that needed with cattle", the expert from the United Nations Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO) told agence Prensa Latina. "We...
Join to be able to comment.
Once you join Engormix, you will be able to participate in all content and forums.
* Required information
Would you like to discuss another topic? Create a new post to engage with experts in the community.
Create a post
Barry Cohen
Barry Cohen
11 de octubre de 2016
Algae can be used for fish feed using good quality water in closed-loop photobiorectors or tanks. Cattle have been fed an algae mix to thousands of cattle in the US with good results. Samples with COA's are available. For information: barry@nationalalgaeassociation.com
Barry Brown
11 de octubre de 2016
Hi, with the bad rap tilapia aquaculture is getting in the media , especially in Asia, leaves alot to be desired where the viability of small farmers is impacted. Here in St. Kitts we have perfected the science of growing tilapia in full strength Atlantic seawater. In addition the fish is grown in Geomembrane lined tanks. This is practised in an intermitent one-way flow through system. The question of obtaining animal protein may only be in the quality of fish feed. Are there other factors? Dr. Barry Brown barbron@sisterisles.kn
Gabriel Aguilar Bustilo
11 de octubre de 2016
Hi, I am starting in Aquaculture in Tilapia Geomembrane Tanqs.. cap, 25,000 lits each.....want to develop 30 tanqs....any experience you would like to share in regard of ratio of development with consumtion feeds..??
Gina Libik
11 de octubre de 2016
Other questions are to do with how and where the protein component of aquaculture feed to pelagic and other carnivorous species is produced. I am aware that some can come from algae, but some literature suggests that palatability can be a problem with algae.
Anthony Mwangi
12 de octubre de 2016
In Central Kenya one of the key challenges facing the growth of aquaculture is access to quality feeds. A kilo of imported tilapia grower feeds goes for USD1.8 making it difficult for farmers to venture into this fast growing food industry.
Carlos Hamilton
12 de octubre de 2016

Agree with the topic. That is true, because of my experience two decade ago. But now the problem is to get high quality feed in order to take advantage of the improved tilapia potencial for growing fast. For example, with good quality feed plus algae, in 3 to 6 months, you can produce fish of 450 grams at all, with good management. I got this experiencie, in a big farm of 49 hectare.

Elen1420
18 de octubre de 2016
Of course, the quality of animal protein fish depends on the fish food. But not only. You must know the mechanisms of fish growth. Postnatal growth of fish accompanied by processes of hypertrophy and hyperplasia. Feed should be specifics for each stage of growth. Hypertrophy-one feed. Hyperplasia - other food.
Cies Roskam
ProEnto
18 de octubre de 2016

I agree that aquaculture is an efficient system to produce large quantities of animal protein for human consumption. But the quality and type of the feed is an important factor. As long as fish meal and fish oils are used, it might be efficient, but definitely not sustainable. The focus should not be "efficient" but "sustainable and efficient" aquaculture. I see no reason why these cannot be combined.
The FAO is reporting about these issues for several years and states that the use of insects is one of the most sustainable solutions to produce (animal) proteins for animal feed.

And I completely agree with that...
Solve waste problems, produce insects without the use of land, water, fertilizers & pesticides and use the insects as an alternative for fish meal. It´s sustainable, possible and proven. And from a nutrient perspective, it is a very efficient system when organic residues are being used and converted into proteins, oils and fertilizers.

Therefore I would like to conclude with: insect production is the most efficient system to obtain animal protein.

Join Engormix and be part of the largest agribusiness social network in the world.
LoginRegister