Explore
Communities in English
Advertise on Engormix

EFSA’s risk assessments of mycotoxins. Interview with Dr. Bruce Cottrill, Member of the CONTAM Panel

Published: November 12, 2014
Summary
Mycotoxins are toxic compounds produced by different types of fungus, belonging mainly to the Aspergillus, Penicillium and Fusarium genera. They commonly enter the food chain through contaminated food and feed crops, mainly cereals. Dr. Bruce Cottrill is an expert in animal nutrition and a member of the EFSA Panel on Contaminants in the Food Chain (CONTAM Panel). As a long-serving member of the P...
Related topics
Join to be able to comment.
Once you join Engormix, you will be able to participate in all content and forums.
* Required information
Would you like to discuss another topic? Create a new post to engage with experts in the community.
Create a post
Sawsan El-Basuni
5 de diciembre de 2014

Dear Dr. Bruce Cottrill,

I am interested in the risk assessment of mycotoxins on broiler chickens and evaluation the efficacy of commercially available anti mycotoxin drugs in my country to counteract the adverse effects of mycotoxins in vivo. 

Zhamharyan Lusine
5 de diciembre de 2014
I know that in many poultry farms mycosorbents added to feed and that's why they didn't need to measure mycotoxins content, also it is a very small potential risk for human
Peetambar Dahal
UC Davis - University of California
5 de diciembre de 2014
It would be better not to feed the chicken with mycotoxin-feed in the first place rather than adding mycosorbents and assume that the meat is safe. Trying to make the food chain free of mycotoxin should be our goal.
Oliver Otieno Okumu
8 de diciembre de 2014
detoxification of mycotoxins through chemical, physical and biological processes are recommended. this will help to deactivate ,destrioy and remove the toxins and at the sametime ensure the nutrient value of the feed is intact. Destruction of fungal spores suspected to be the source of these mycotoxins would be useful
Dr Valeriy Kryukov
7 de febrero de 2020
Over the past 10-15 years, the number of scientific publications on the binding of mycotoxins has sharply decreased. Apparently, science has stopped before the next stage of its development. A lot of commercial advertising, in which sellers promise a lot - just buy from me. Often misinformed farmers are misled. There are no adsorbents that would bind at least 15 to 20 of the known 300 mycotoxins. Some mycotoxins are always absorbed and no methods have been developed to prevent the action of absorbed mycotoxins in the body and reduce their retention in the body. I got the first laboratory results in this direction
Join Engormix and be part of the largest agribusiness social network in the world.
LoginRegister