Explore
Communities in English
Advertise on Engormix

A view and an overview on the control of avian influenza outbreaks in poultry: (1-6) Mass-culling of birds (personal experience)

Published: July 14, 2014
Summary
Avian influenza virus (AIV) is RNA virus belongs to the family Orthomyxoviridae. In birds, there are 16 HA and 9 NA subtypes with possible combination of 144 HA-NA subtypes (e.g. H1N1, H5N1, H7N7, H9N2, etc.). According to their pathogenicity in chickens, only some strains of H5 and H7 subtypes are able to produce mass morbidity and mortality and thus are classified as highly pathogenic AIV (HP...
Related topics
Authors:
Sayed Abd El-Whab
Friedrich-Loeffler-Institut
Follow
Join to be able to comment.
Once you join Engormix, you will be able to participate in all content and forums.
* Required information
Would you like to discuss another topic? Create a new post to engage with experts in the community.
Create a post
Abdelaziz Abdelfatah Abdelmotii Ebrahim
16 de julio de 2014
hii doctor it is avery nice article but i need your opinion about vaccination of killed H9N2 avian flu in broiler thank you
Farook Kahloon
16 de julio de 2014
Dear , Its an informative article but i did get any idea about the influenza.How i get rid from this one.If you add some material about treatment and other managerial skills as you mention in your article.Its gona be more informative for learners like me. Thank you....
Sayed Abd El-Whab
Friedrich-Loeffler-Institut
26 de julio de 2014

@Dr. Abdelaziz:
Thanks for your question. Unfortunately, there is no straightforward answer to your question. The poultry producer should decide that himself.

In my opinion, enforcement of biosecurity measures for broilers (short life span) may be easier than layers and breeders and in this case you will not be in need for many types of vaccination, but I know the field situation in Egypt which is not different from other develping countries.

Vaccination (as it will be mentioned in my next article in this forum) helps to decrease morbidity, mortality, virus excretion and transmission limiting the economic losses of the disease. Vaccination of broilers with inactivated vaccines in endemic areas is really questionable. First you have to be aware that maternal immunity will mostly interfer with vaccination (according to the vaccination schem) at early age of life (10 to 15 day-old), secondly full protection will be expected three weeks post vaccination. In other words, maternal immunity will protect young birds for at least ten days (according to the vaccine used in breeders), but you will have a gap for at least two weeks until the inactivated vaccine elicits protection. Then, you will have clinical protection until marketing (2 weeks). Therefore, if you already succeeded to prevent introduction of the virus till day 21 or 24, I guess you can do that for the last two weeks; but you never know when the infection occurs.

@Dr.Farook Kahloon:
This is the first article on control of AIV in poultry. In the next weeks, five articles will be published here in Engormix. Each article will throw the light on an intervention tool for the control of the disease in poultry and will discuss the advantages and disadvantages of each one.

Join Engormix and be part of the largest agribusiness social network in the world.
LoginRegister