Explore
Communities in English
Advertise on Engormix

The effect of four betaine products on replacing methionine and choline supplementation on growth performance in broiler chickens from 10 to 28 days of age

Published: May 11, 2020
Summary
Introduction and Objectives Betaine (BET) acts as a methyl donor to convert homocysteine into methionine (MET), sparing both choline (CHOL) and MET. In the last years, synthetic MET and CHOL became a key concern in feed formulation as their prices have increased and hence BET can be an economic alternative. Objective: to test the bio-equivalency of 4 commercial BET products (3 anhydrous a...
Related topics
Authors:
Barbara Auer
AGRANA GROUP
Recommend
Comment
seçkin tümer
Vimar Animal Health
22 de mayo de 2020
Dear Auer , I wish you are ok amid pandemic days, Could you please send me full pf article my mail? Thanks in advance Best Regars,
Recommend
Dr. Atul Deshmukh
20 de octubre de 2020
Does Actibeet replace some part of Lysine and Threonine also
Recommend
Ana Gavrӑu
AGRANA GROUP
27 de octubre de 2020

Dear Dr. Atul Deshmukh,

first of all, I apologize for the delayed feedback!

Betaine, having three methyl groups and the so-called zwitterionic structure (being positively and negatively charged), is acting as a methyl group donor and as an organic osmolyte.

As a methyl group donor, betaine can replace other potential sources of methyl groups: choline, partially methionine and folic acid. Methyl groups are not equally available for use in methylation reactions. Having betaine in the diet, the dietary methionine will be available predominantly for protein synthesis and choline, also as native choline, will be available for cell membranes and neurotransmission as acetylcholine.
Betaine is the most efficient methyl group donor for the remethylation (conversion of homocysteine into methionine) because no metabolic conversion steps are required, as in case of choline.

Therefore we can replace by betaine the added choline from cholinechloride in animal feed, partially methionine (in good conditions), but no lysine, or threonine. Indirectly, is betaine also a source of glycine, relevant when formulating diets with low crude protein levels.

In conclusion, we can not replace lysine and/ or threonine by betaine.

All best and kind regards,
Ana Gavrau

Recommend
Mohsen Teimury
3 de junio de 2021
Dear Dr, Thank you very much indeed. can we use betaine products as a source for uric acid synthesis in broiler chicks.
Recommend
Profile picture
Would you like to discuss another topic? Create a new post to engage with experts in the community.
Join Engormix and be part of the largest agribusiness social network in the world.