Explore
Communities in English
Advertise on Engormix

Egg Shell Quality

What is Egg Shell Quality and How to Preserve it?

Published: November 29, 2010
Summary
There are many factors that affect the overall quality of the egg shell, but before discussing these factors, it is important to know what makes up the structure of the egg shell. The egg shell consists of about 94 to 97% calcium carbonate. The other three percent is organic matter and egg shell pigment. There are also as many as 8,000 microscopic pores in the shell itself. The outer coating of t...
Related topics:
Authors:
Ken W. Koelkebeck
University of Illinois
Recommend
Comment
Luc Goethals
Sanluc International nv
20 de abril de 2011
Dear Mathieu, Thanks for your prompt reaction. I totally agree with you. This should not be a commercial discussion. That was exactly the point i wanted to make when referring to the osmotic effect of sodium and the nonsense about calciumbutyrate disturbing the (and the few calcium it brings) calcium metabolism in laying hens receiving already 3-4% calcium (see the arguments from Dr. Gossart. To reconfirm my opinion, for sure butyrate salts are used mainly for the butyrate effect. The cation (sodium or calcium) only lead to eventual side effects. Discussion closed. Luc
Recommend
Philippe Gossart
21 de abril de 2011
Dear Luc... The laying hen nutrition is not every where in the world an exact science. We have a lot of various parameters, strains, raw matrials, production management etc…etc…etc… For these reasons we need not to forget the basics… Nutrition, means…Digestion, means …Absorption. For long time, nutritionnists have forgotten an essential organ : the Pancreas. Today, with the sodium butyrate we have the exceptional opportunity not to only think the action of stomach or intestine but also…pancreas. Nutrition needs to be more & more functional… to help by itself. Yes, sodium butyrate is before all a functional product. Functional to the attraction to eat (feed intake) Functional to the germs control (less germs in feces) Functional to the size of villi ( over 30% length) Functional to the pancréas secretion juice (execrine & endocrine) Functional to the immunity (intestine is the first disponible energy) All of these are very good, but there is a constraint Sodium butyrate needs to be dissociated in the intestine, and not before Sodium butyrate needs to be strongly present in the intestine & not with homeopathic dosage… the more you use …2kg, 3kg, 4kg… the more it works. With stearine sodium butyrate protection (70/30) it is the opposite...because the more you use stearine (high point of fusion) the more you disrupt the digestibility mainly for young animal.(biblio) Sodium butyrate seems be the true antibiotic substitute. (Luc) I never said that Calcium butyrate was a bad product . I only said that sodium salt have a the largest bibliography (X100 than calcium) I only said that calcium salt is superfluous in laying hens… there still is a lot of calcium.. I only said that calcium salt is not really advised for young animal (risk of calcium soap) At last and not at least… I* said than Calcium butyrate is without osmotic effect, because the osmotic effect is strictly "sodic" … * ( the physiology said that…not me) And when you know the high level and need of osmotic effects for the absorption mecanism… you can may be have some doubts about the calcium salt interest ? But calcium salt can be still active for… the others parameters.. Luc...Anyway… It is true... in 1995, I perfected and sold the first sodium butyrate for animal nutrition in the world. .. and like a… "pater bonum"…I continued to perfect it Our experience is laying hens and sodium butyrate The problem is that we quickly stopped to promote the cracked, broked, dirty eggs advantage of sodium butyrate , because we had observed as well as a strong effects on the ESG (egg specific gravity/ Prof Harms method) on the number of eggs, on the weight of eggs, on the decrease of salmonellas in the fèces, on the level of mortality, and on the length of laying… You can understand that the only effect on the shell quality was... into the background… Why so nice result : 1 / because our new sodium butyrate product (patented) double buffer… with a longer dissociation in the time 2/ because the laying hens have long life, and with the diet rich in calcium there is like a kératinisation playing as a filter on the absorption and assimilation. 3/ because our product is able through the progressive intestinal dissociation to suppress the kératinisation ( around 40 weeks) of the villi and even to relaunch the size of the villi.. 4/ and because It will be possible to see on the laying courbs an increase of all the parameters… That’s why our new sodium butyrate double buffer is able to help the laying production by a strong functional stimulation effect. Best regards for all Philippe Gossart
Recommend
Dr.sohail Ahmad
Islamabad Group
25 de abril de 2011
It is a good and informative article of Mr. Ken. As in your article the basic information about shell is that; There are also as many as 8,000 microscopic pores in the shell itself. The outer coating of the shell itself consists of a mucous coating called the cuticle or bloom which is deposited on the shell just prior to lay. This protein like covering helps protect the interior contents of the egg from bacteria penetration through the shell. So the above information are very important for the laying farmers that how to protect the shell quality from bacteria during cleaning their eggs in the egg storage and if mucous coating damaged than what are their affects?
Recommend
Oyedele Oyewumi
Prinzvet Livestock Consult
25 de abril de 2011
thanks for your article. my question is what influences egg shell colour
Recommend
Philippe Gossart
25 de abril de 2011
The laying hen nutrition is not every where in the world an exact science. We have a lot of various parameters, strains, raw matrials, production management etc…etc…etc… For these reasons we need not to forget the basics… Nutrition, means…Digestion, means …Absorption. For long time, nutritionnists have forgotten an essential organ : the Pancreas. Today, with the sodium butyrate we have the exceptional opportunity not to only think the action of stomach or intestine but also…pancreas. Nutrition needs to be more & more functional… to help by itself. Yes, sodium butyrate is before all a functional product. Functional to the attraction to eat (feed intake) Functional to the germs control (less germs in feces) Functional to the size of villi ( over 30% length) Functional to the pancréas sécrétion juice (execrine & endocrine) Functional to the immunity (intestine is the first disponible energy) All of these are very good, but there is a constraint Sodium butyrate needs to be dissociated in the intestine, and not before Sodium butyrate needs to be strongly present in the intestine & not with homeopathic dosage… the more you use …2kg, 3kg, 4kg… the more it works. Sodium butyrate seems be the true antibiotic substitute. I never said (Luc) that Calcium butyrate was a bad product . I only said that sodium salt have a the largest bibliography (X100 than calcium) I only said that calcium salt is superfluous in laying hens… there still is a lot of calcium.. I only said that calcium salt is not advised for young animal (risk of calcium soap) At last and not at least… I* said than Calcium butyrate is without osmotic effect, because the osmotic effect is strictly sodic … * ( the physiology said that…not me) And when you know the high level and need of osmotic effects for the absorption mecanism… you can may be have some doubts about the calcium salt interest ? But calcium salt can be still active for… the others parameters.. Anyway… It is true (Luc) in 1995, I perfected and sold the first sodium butyrate for animal nutrition in the world. .. and like a… pater bonum…I continued to perfect it Our expérience is laying hens and sodium butyrate The problem is that we quickly stopped to promote the cracked, broked, dirty eggs advantage of sodium butyrate , because we had observed as well as a strong effects on the ESG (egg specific gravity/ Prof Harms method) on the number of eggs, on the weight of eggs, on the decrease of salmonellas in the fèces, on the level of mortality, and on the length of laying… You can understand that the only effect on the shell quality was into the background… Why so nice result : 1 / because our new sodium butyrate product (patented) double buffer… with a longer dissociation in the time 2/ because the laying hens have long life, and with the diet rich in calcium there is like a kératinisation playing as a filter on the absorption and assimilation. 3/ because our product is able through the progressive intestinal dissociation to suppress the kératinisation (around 40 weeks)of the villi and even to relaunch the size of the villi.. 4/ and because It will be possible to see on the laying courbs an increase of all the parameters… That’s why our new sodium butyrate double buffer is able to help the laying production by a strong functional stimulation effect. Philippe Gossart
Recommend
Philippe Gossart
25 de abril de 2011
The laying hen nutrition is not every where in the world an exact science. We have a lot of various parameters, strains, raw matrials, production management etc…etc…etc… For these reasons we need not to forget the basics… Nutrition, means…Digestion, means …Absorption. For long time, nutritionnists have forgotten an essential organ : the Pancreas. Today, with the sodium butyrate we have the exceptional opportunity not to only think the action of stomach or intestine but also…pancreas. Nutrition needs to be more & more functional… to help by itself. Yes, sodium butyrate is before all a functional product. Functional to the attraction to eat (feed intake) Functional to the germs control (less germs in feces) Functional to the size of villi ( over 30% length) Functional to the pancréas sécrétion juice (execrine & endocrine) Functional to the immunity (intestine is the first disponible energy) All of these are very good, but there is a constraint Sodium butyrate needs to be dissociated in the intestine, and not before Sodium butyrate needs to be strongly present in the intestine & not with homeopathic dosage… the more you use …2kg, 3kg, 4kg… the more it works. Sodium butyrate seems be the true antibiotic substitute. I never said (Luc) that Calcium butyrate was a bad product . I only said that sodium salt have a the largest bibliography (X100 than calcium) I only said that calcium salt is superfluous in laying hens… there still is a lot of calcium.. I only said that calcium salt is not advised for young animal (risk of calcium soap) At last and not at least… I* said than Calcium butyrate is without osmotic effect, because the osmotic effect is strictly sodic … * ( the physiology said that…not me) And when you know the high level and need of osmotic effects for the absorption mecanism… you can may be have some doubts about the calcium salt interest ? But calcium salt can be still active for… the others parameters.. Anyway… It is true (Luc) in 1995, I perfected and sold the first sodium butyrate for animal nutrition in the world. .. and like a… pater bonum…I continued to perfect it Our expérience is laying hens and sodium butyrate The problem is that we quickly stopped to promote the cracked, broked, dirty eggs advantage of sodium butyrate , because we had observed as well as a strong effects on the ESG (egg specific gravity/ Prof Harms method) on the number of eggs, on the weight of eggs, on the decrease of salmonellas in the fèces, on the level of mortality, and on the length of laying… You can understand that the only effect on the shell quality was into the background… Why so nice result : 1 / because our new sodium butyrate product (patented) double buffer… with a longer dissociation in the time 2/ because the laying hens have long life, and with the diet rich in calcium there is like a kératinisation playing as a filter on the absorption and assimilation. 3/ because our product is able through the progressive intestinal dissociation to suppress the kératinisation ( around 40 weeks)of the villi and even to relaunch the size of the villi.. 4/ and because It will be possible to see on the laying courbs an increase of all the parameters… That’s why our new sodium butyrate double buffer is able to help the laying production by a strong functional stimulation effect. Philippe Gossart
Recommend
Ding Li
8 de mayo de 2011
One question for the author: If we feed high level of fat-soluble vitamins in order to improve color of the egg shell, which should be the right dosage? and how long will see a significant improvement?thank you.
Recommend
Shahid Rasheed
18 de diciembre de 2013
Weak Shell Egg is due to deficiency of Vitamin D3, Calcium and Phosphorus. Supplementing these three through feed will be effective in bringing the birds boost their egg shell quality
Recommend
Maheswar Rath
18 de diciembre de 2013
I could educate myself by reading many views in this forum. Yes as a consultant in poultry i am sure how to protect the egg shell quality: 1-Genetic standards are specific and egg shell are also included in selection index for shell thickness and which contribute to breaking strength of an egg.This genetic quality has to be supported with nutrition for getting good standard shell quality of egg. 2-Management reasons which impact also a egg shell even with high genetic standards that is some virus like ND,RD interfere with calcification of the egg shell.and this also create miss shape etc. 3-Ambient temperature in tropical area also important which decide the feed consumption which is mostly 80gms to 110gm for a early laying period this need to be ensured with good standard of feed with all chemical requirements. 4-Some time nutrition and quality of toxin also impact the metabolism of required nutrients and micro nutrients and macro nutrient which also impact the shell quality. 5-Only through balance nutrition and good balance environment it is possible to derive the shell quality of egg. Egg broken on the cage,shell less egg etc are to be verified with closeness by experts. 6-sodium % and chlorine % in feed need to be around 0.18% each and calcium for new layer can be some where 3.6-3.8%, available ph need to be around 0.3% etc. But over all good balance ration and aflatoxin free or any other toxin feed need to be assured. Let us read more in net we get many options and mechanisms which are very helpful for both color and white egg layers and breeders. thank you sir dr m rath
Recommend
Profile picture
Would you like to discuss another topic? Create a new post to engage with experts in the community.
Join Engormix and be part of the largest agribusiness social network in the world.