Explore
Communities in English
Advertise on Engormix

The use of the "summer to winter ratio" index, to assess the effect of summer heat stress on the performance of dairy cows in different regions of the USA

Published: December 30, 2019
Summary
Summer heat stress causes significant economic losses to the U.S. livestock and especially the dairy industry. Different studies conducted in the United States indicate an annual loss of about $ 1.5 billion to the dairy US industry. This is due to unsuccessful confrontation of US dairy farmers with the heat stress problem. The losses differ of course, between different regions of the United Stat...
Related topics
Authors:
Israel Flamenbaum
Follow
Join to be able to comment.
Once you join Engormix, you will be able to participate in all content and forums.
* Required information
Would you like to discuss another topic? Create a new post to engage with experts in the community.
Create a post
dr. jamil .m.
2 de enero de 2020
the annual milk loss per cow being $ 200 Thank you for the interesting information ,i think the above mentioned sentence should be 200 liters not $ 200 thank you
Israel Flamenbaum
2 de enero de 2020
dr. jamil .m. dear Dr Jamil, thanks for your comment. I have already sent an e. mil and ask for correction. I guess it is delayed due to new year holidays.
dr. jamil .m.
2 de enero de 2020

Dear Dr. Flamenbaum
Happy new year for you and your loved ones and for the colleges in engormix. Thank you for the correction and the valuable work on the heat stress on the dairy in hot areas.

Ehsan
2 de enero de 2020
Thanks for your great paper. Do you have any prefer ratio for pregnancy rate? Or, pregnancy rate is the same as conception ratio?
Israel Flamenbaum
2 de enero de 2020
Ehsan Theoretically, the preferred ratio for all parameters studies is 1.0 To my opinion, being realistic, a ratio of above 0.9 for PR (which is different from CR), will be considered as good !
Rafael Angel Paredes
2 de enero de 2020

Dear Dr Israel Flamenbaum, I have a question: why when the effects of heat stress on cattle are analyzed, production values and productivity values are taken as the basis of the variables? For example, when we analyze milk production, the value taken is produced by a cow, when, I think that the right thing would be to take the VALUES OF PRODUCTIVITY as milk production/weight of the animal. A cow that produces 28 kg of milk and weighs 420 kg is not the same as a cow that produces the same 28 liters of milk but weighs 320 kg under the same conditions of heat stress and with the same feeding.

Israel Flamenbaum
3 de enero de 2020

Rafael Angel Paredes this is another issue, Rafael! The evaluation we make is on a certain type of cow and in this case, Holstein cows in high productive level weighting 600-700 kg.

Join Engormix and be part of the largest agribusiness social network in the world.
LoginRegister