Explore
Communities in English
Advertise on Engormix

Successful weaning of calves

Published: October 8, 2020
Summary
THE PHASES OF THE RAISING PROCESS Under intensive systems, the stage called Calf Rearing lasts approximately up to 60 days (30-60 days) and has three important phases:   1. Pre-ruminant phase - in which the main food is in liquid form, such as milk or a milk replacement. During this phase, the abomasum or true stomach fulfills the main digestive functions. 2. Transition phase:...
Related topics:
Authors:
Daniel Werner
Recommend
Comment
Manget Ram Garg
National Dairy Development Board
12 de octubre de 2020

It is a very good piece of information. In the context of developing countries, I would like to emphasis that the quality of dry fodder/hay fed to young calves is not all that good, primarily due to non-availability and lack of awareness about the importance of good quality legume hay. As a result, milk producers in these countries end up achieving a growth rate in the range of 500-600 g per day, prolonging the age at puberty. Under such situations, milk producers may continue to feed calf starters, maybe up to nine months of age, instead of six months, @ 2-3 kg per day.
Another important aspect is birth weight of the calves in the developing countries which is low on account of inadequate feeding to animals in the advanced stage of pregnancy, which has direct impact on the growth rate during the pre and post weaning periods.
I would like to reiterate that whatever I have mentioned above is in context of developing countries, including India, more so for indigenous cows and buffaloes.

Recommend
Akmal
27 de octubre de 2020
Manget Ram Garg Very true Sir we ignore upcoming revenue from calf and make the dairy farming less profitable
Recommend
Dusan Korinek
SCHAUMANN CR s.r.o.
12 de octubre de 2020
Thank you for the nicely formulated ideas for raising calves. We use the same principle in the Czech Republic and they are functional.
Recommend
Hafiz Wasi Muhammad Khan
18 de octubre de 2020

Beautiful article for brain storming of all livestock producers especially in sub continent.

Recommend
Hafiz Wasi Muhammad Khan
1 de diciembre de 2020
Hafiz Wasi Muhammad Khan pl contact me on my whatsapp 923008497959 will love to share experiences
Recommend
Dr. Pradip J Patel
28 de octubre de 2020
Its very useful information for farmers who rear calves scientifically.
Recommend
Profile picture
Would you like to discuss another topic? Create a new post to engage with experts in the community.
Join Engormix and be part of the largest agribusiness social network in the world.