Explore
Communities in English
Advertise on Engormix

Sweet Haylage

Sweet Haylage- A new innovation

Published: September 12, 2011
Summary
Preamble. Green forage is the most preferred feed for dairy cows by the farmers. They feel happy while feeding their cows with green succulent fodder. In advanced countries the cows are let loose on pasture land to graze and forage at their free will. When the above facilities are unavailable farmers have to depend on dry fodder. Fiber is the slowly digested or indigestible material in feeds....
Related topics:
Authors:
Dr.P.George Kunju John
Recommend
Comment
Muthusamy Nachimuthu
13 de septiembre de 2011

Interesting article about haylage. Is it possible commercially?
if possible, let me know, how much is the cost of the plant to produce per ton of feed

Recommend
Dr.P.George Kunju John
13 de septiembre de 2011
Dear Mr.Muthuswamy, Unfortunately the article got edited so much which removed the details of production costs. The plant we developed is a commercial one which can produce 3MT/hour. The total electric load is 60KW and therefore the cost of conversion is less than that os compound feed. Since the raw materials used are waste fibre like banana leaves, cocnut leaves, dry fodder, etc what is calculated in Kerala, India is INR 4000/ MT and the treated fodder feed could be sold at INR 8000/MT. For full retails conact .pgkjohn@gmail.com. The cost of the plant is INR 7 million
Recommend
Gabriel Aguilar Bustilo
21 de septiembre de 2011

haylage produccion here in Mexico, has been around for a while in Dairy farms, it is a mayor feed ingredient.Furthermore manufactuiring in the field is customary in farming.Every unit operation involved is described but remmember that you aredealing with low cost products, and do not make this kinad of operations high in pricing with Technology, fedding HAS to be low always

Recommend
Dr Muhammad Ramzan
21 de septiembre de 2011

for sweet haylage more details is required. further additives and inocculant details is not given. one thing is not under stood that after wilting in sun ,moisture level will be below 50% how bacterial fermentation takes place. THANKS

Recommend
Dr.P.George Kunju John
22 de septiembre de 2011

Let me answer to Mr Grabriel and dr Muhamad. As Mr Gabriel anticipated the costt of production goes down by using the technology. The preparation of silage is known to the farmers and is done wwell by them. But there is alwayes problem ofr trapping air in between fodder particles leading to the loss of nutrients, reducing the pH and after all the process is indeed cumbersome. One can process silage in this plant and pack it air tight andleave in the godown for curing. There is no need for pits and cover. Therefore the operation is more simple. Inorder to control the fermentation of silage by feeding dry fodder also could be compunded aling with green fodder. Therefore it is a unique plant

As Dr.Mohamad pointed out there is a special premix which is mixed in the digestor of the plant. unfortunately by editing the details were omitted. Please contact me so that I can send the detials. Since the cost of the plant is affordable it is wise to go for the plant and do your trials

Recommend
Dr.Tadimeti Hanumanta
Intas Pharmaceuticals Ltd.
22 de septiembre de 2011

Dear Dr. John

Good article about haylage. Indeed a technology which can revolutionise the feeding practices and the Dairy Industry of Indian Subcontinent. 

would like to know more about the Technology, innoculants, ingredients that can be used and more.

Recommend
Zahid M Rasool
22 de septiembre de 2011
Hi Dr. Interesting paper let me congratulation for this info could you please kind enough to send me the whole paper along with the cost of equipment to me at rasool.zahid@gmail.com Thanks
Recommend
Hafiz Wasi Muhammad Khan
22 de septiembre de 2011
This is very useful contribution towards dairy production. I congratulate the innovative scientists and i hope more details are required so that an ordinary farmer may also follow easily thanks for this beautiful workable and cost effectiive idea
Recommend
Dr.P.George Kunju John
22 de septiembre de 2011
Dear Dr.Khan, Thank you for your comments and appreciate it. Please note I could simplify the process of silage making, hay process and crop residue treatment to a mechanical plant. Please not this is not targetted to farmer's house. I have seen such total failures of several technologies developed in research centres remained in labs. My approah is supply the readily made fodder feed to the farmers. The process involved wouuld increase the dry matter digestibility, palatability and energy concentration. The plant is not very parge. It can be accommodated in a shed and capacity is to produce 3MT feeed per hour. Even big farms can go for this plant for making silages instead of using the traditional method of pit and cover. The benefits of this innovation could be accomplished by the adoption of the technology.
Recommend
Dr. N.r.sarker
22 de septiembre de 2011
Thank you much Dr. Kunju for your contribution in the feed technology. Last year, when you were in Bangladesh in a Worldbank team, I met with you at BLRI ( Bangladesh Livestock Research Institute), Savar, Dhaka. We discussed about present status of dairy development in Bangladesh where our DG was present. In our discussion, our high lighted feeds & fodder one major constraint for development dairy in our country. In this context, as a nutritionist, I am looking for this type of feed technological where private entrepreneur can invest. For this reason, could you please send outline of plant & details machinery requirements. Dr. N.R. Sarker Head, APRD, BLRI, Savar, Dhaka-1341
Recommend
Dr.P.George Kunju John
22 de septiembre de 2011
Dear Dr. Sarkar, Thank you for your compliments. Please contact me at for details. It would a good idea for you to go for a plant under FAO or world bank to exhibit the advantages. Dr.Saddullah was my frined who did lot of work on straw treatment. However no farmer is able to use the technology. Mt approach is makig the feed in a commercial plant which would make all the changes. I hope you will do the needful.
Recommend
Dr.P.George Kunju John
22 de septiembre de 2011
Dr.Sarkar sent me your email ID for details Dr.Kunju
Recommend
Dr.P.George Kunju John
22 de septiembre de 2011
Or contact ,e at pgkjohn@gamil.com
Recommend
Dr. N.r.sarker
23 de septiembre de 2011

Dr. Kunju
Interesting article about haylage. Thank you very much for cooperation. It is mentioned here that I did M.Sc. (A.H.) under Dr. Saadullah. I am sending my e-mail ID for details :sarkernr62@yahoo.com 

Please note that when you will further available in Bangladesh, don't forget me to call on 01711733119 this cell phone.

With best wishes.

Dr. N.R. Sarker

Recommend
Dr Irshad M Khan
23 de septiembre de 2011
Dear Dr GEORGE, Was it the same one that we were discussing in dubai sometime back. regards Dr irshad
Recommend
Dr.P.George Kunju John
24 de septiembre de 2011
Yes Dr.Irshad. Are you same person who was in Murmum dairy. Please send me your email ID so that we may communicate well. The technology we talked in Dubai was just coating sugar syrup onto alfalfa hay to increase its energy content and NDF digestibility. Later, I modified it by combining 3 processes like silage making.hay processes and crop residue treatment. The plant is so versetile to be used for single or combined technologies. Setting up a plant can produce many feeds. Please contact me pgkjohn@gmail.com
Recommend
Dr Muhammad Ramzan
28 de septiembre de 2011
Dear Dr Kunju. good efforts,applauded. it will be worth practicl use for small holders as wellas large dairy farms. It needs more elaboration and details of cost effective model. regards
Recommend
Dr.P.George Kunju John
29 de septiembre de 2011
Dear Dr, There is limitation for provinding the all details on a technical write. Those who are really interested are contacting me directly and we send them the in voice too. Accordingly the plant will be supplied. However, those with academic interest as usual beat about the bush. My contact details are available with engormix.Thank you for appreciation.
Recommend
Kazem Hussain
21 de octubre de 2012

Dear Dr John
We are into manfacture of maize silage and started recently using african tall variety of forage maize we are new and the technical resources available with us are limited as the industry is new in india so kindly help us to make and supply quality product to our customers like the additives to be used for both preservation and quality.

Hope to hear from you soon

Regards
kazem hussain

Recommend
Dr.P.George Kunju John
22 de octubre de 2012
Mr. Hussain, Please contact me at for professional consultations
Recommend
Profile picture
Would you like to discuss another topic? Create a new post to engage with experts in the community.
Join Engormix and be part of the largest agribusiness social network in the world.