Feeding Fat to Dairy Cows

Forum: Feeding Fat to Dairy Cows

Published on: 08/10/2009
Author/s : Karen Dupchak (Animal Nutritionist)
Animal Industry Branch - Manitoba Agriculture & Food
Fat contains over two times the amount of energy found in grain. This makes it a very good energy supplement for early lactation cows. The intake of supplemental fat should not exceed 5% of the ration. This corresponds to approximately 0.7 to 0.9 kg fat/day (1.5 - 2 lbs). If this is exceeded, rumen fermentation can be affected and milk fat depression, reduced feed intake and off-fe...
remove_red_eye 5986 forum 46 bar_chart Statistics share print
Share :
close
July 12, 2017
Dear All,
Good discussion about fat supplementation, now a days when we reared dairy animals for high milk production it is important to supplemented with bypass fat, actually very less knowledge available about effects of bypass fat on the ruminal microflora and other organs and also about which bypass fat is most suitable for dairy animals so this discussion is helpful.
July 14, 2017
Is bypass fat improve snf
Rudra Desai Rudra Desai
Ph. D. fine chemicals and pharmaceuticals
July 15, 2017

When lactating animals have balanced nutrition with minerals as declining mineral content in feed due to pesticide and crossbreed feed animals are the sufferers along with all living organisms. Hence use properly balanced complete product.

July 17, 2017
Many feed supplement enriched with bypass fractionated fat go for best one
Hossein Hossein
PhD
August 15, 2017
Hi Dear colleagues.
What is your definition of high producing Dairy Cows? I mean, How much milk should be produced per day to be classified as high producing Dairy Cow?

Thanks.
Yours, Hossein
September 6, 2017

I have seen some interesting effects while using bypass fat. By using bypass fat, I minimize the heat stroke effect when outer temp. was above than 40, but I think one major potential problem was a slight decline in MP is that due to low fermentable energy or some other problem? Can anyone tell me something about that?

print
(5986)
(46)
Would you like to discuss about this topic: Forum: Feeding Fat to Dairy Cows?
Engormix reserves the right to delete and/or modify comments. See more details
Post a comment
Create new discussion :
If this discussion does not cover topics of interest or raises new questions, you can create another discussion.
Consult a professional in private:
If you have a specific problem you can perform a consultation privately to a professional in our community.
Dr. Steve Blezinger
Dr. Steve Blezinger
Nutrition and Management Consultant
  Sulphur Springs, Texas, United States
Professional Services
Jasmer Singh Jasmer Singh
Rocklin, California, United States
Dr. Steve Blezinger Dr. Steve Blezinger
Sulphur Springs, Texas, United States
Dr. Christian Rippe DVM Dr. Christian Rippe DVM
Spring Hill, Florida, Estados Unidos de América
Jeffrey Bewley Jeffrey Bewley