Explore
Communities in English
Advertise on Engormix

Dairy: Consistency in feed and nutrition programs

Published: June 7, 2018
Summary
On any given day, the typical dairyman loses count of the challenges he deals with. From labor to mechanical issues, to sick or downed cows and paying the feed bill, the list goes on, seemingly forever. One frequent challenge accounting for much of the drain on overall farm performance and profitability is lack of consistency. Consistency issues are pervasive throughout the typical dairy opera...
Related topics
Authors:
Dr. Steve Blezinger
Reveille Livestock Concepts
Follow
Influencers who recommended :
Mariana Petkova
Join to be able to comment.
Once you join Engormix, you will be able to participate in all content and forums.
* Required information
Would you like to discuss another topic? Create a new post to engage with experts in the community.
Create a post
Oswaldo Rosendo
Universidad Centroccidental Lisandro Alvarado
12 de junio de 2018

Hello Dr. Blezinger, it is a very good article on this topic and I would ask you how frequently do you or any consultant may visit the same dairy farm operation? Or, maybe the best question is what kind of service apart from diet formulation and evaluation would be necessary in order to keep a continuous assistance to the farm in order to justify nutritionist payment? I am in Venezuela

Dr. Steve Blezinger
Reveille Livestock Concepts
9 de julio de 2018

Oswaldo Rosendo - my apologies for the delay getting back to you. I overlooked this post initially.

Very good questions and I can only tell you that there is no set answer for your questions. Consultants here in the US may visit a given farm once per week to once per month or possibly less (once per quarter) depending on the needs and wants of the farm. This has to be worked out between the dairy and the consultant. Services will also vary depending on the farm. These can include diet formulation for all groups or maybe only individual groups. I have worked with dairies that had different nutritionists for different groups of cattle. Another service, besides diet formulation, is to assist with monitoring of cows (production, feet, manure consistency, etc., etc. Oversight of quality control program, testing of forages, commodities, TMR, work with feeding personnel to ensure proper feed mixing and delivery. location and procurement of ingredients, evaluation of additives and other feed ingredients, premix formulation and bidding to suppliers, economic evaluations, etc. Again, this will vary depending on the needs/wants of the farm. I've known consultants that were so involved they assumed a partial management role.

So this is very highly variable and will depend on what the farm wants or needs and the consultant's capabilities. I know for myself, every farm I work with is different.

Hope this helps.

Steve

mahendra
12 de junio de 2018
This article is best and any problems solve of a dairyman and step by step describe the material about the feed ingredients, silage and hay. But depends on suitable environment of effect on production and good condition animal health. Now you get better results.
Khazel Aboud Musa
12 de junio de 2018
Well presented and valuable article .What is really needed especially for those who are involved in dairy cattle feeding and management practices is to know more about how the topics dealt with could be transfered practically on farm bases .Thank you . Dr.Khazel (MSc,Diploma ,Ph.D-- Animal Breeding ).
Mohamed Samy
12 de junio de 2018

I appreciate your fulfilling article about the consistency of dairy ration required for performed rumen and milk flow. That includes most point should be considered by dairymen.

mahendra
13 de junio de 2018
Best article for dairy farmers and solutions of all requriment of animal feeding and management.
Oswaldo Rosendo
Universidad Centroccidental Lisandro Alvarado
9 de julio de 2018

Thank you Dr. Blezinger,

It is a very complete answer, and I feel very satisfied. On my own experience, it all depends on the farmer, and just a few really want to look or pay for consultants here in Venezuela. There have been occasions where they requested for specific kind of problems that involve metabolic imbalances but after the first approach, they quit. So I think I have not been able to convince them enough for a regular and constant monitoring activities. Well, once again, thanks a lot.

Narinder singh
9 de julio de 2018
Thanks sir it’s good
Shifali Sharma
11 de junio de 2019

Thanks for sharing this useful nutrition program with us.

Join Engormix and be part of the largest agribusiness social network in the world.
LoginRegister