View of Enzymes as an Alternative to Antibiotics

Published on: 02/10/2021
Author/s : D. Melo-Duran, D. Sola-Oriol, S. Villagomez-Estrada and J.F. Perez / Servei de Nutricio i Benestar Animal (SNiBA), Department de Ciencia Animal i dels Aliments, Universitat Autònoma de Barcelona (UAB), 08193, Spain.

remove_red_eye 214 forum 4 bar_chart Statistics share print
Share :
close
February 10, 2021
Dr Jose Francisco, I confess that the title of the article presented surprised me. However, with the reading of the summary, I was able to perceive the coherence of the subject addressed, when it mentions that the use of enzymes is part of a multidisciplinary action, being necessarily associated with several proven additives. Therefore, it is evident that the use of enzymes instead of antibiotics would not be enough to guarantee the animals' good performance. However, it must be considered that the use of enzymes such as mannanase and or galactosidase in diets using soybean meal, as the main protein source, has its positive actions on the performance of animals, in part, by hydrolyzing the non-starch polysaccharide soybean, which is known to negatively influence the animal microbiota, producing oligosaccharides which in turn favors the microbiota. animals, in part, partial hydrolysis of non-starch polysaccharides, and improvement in the composition of the microbiota.
April 5, 2021
Basically, Dr. José Francisco voiced a fact that everyone was skeptical about before. At one time, Danisco Animal Nutrition, a manufacturer of feed enzymes, conducted research on the contamination of poultry with Salmonella. And with a small concentration of the pathogen, the bird itself got rid of the salmonella. A scheme of the enzyme's action was even proposed. I will not describe the details, but the enzymes created conditions unfavorable for the growth and reproduction of Salmonella. Don't believe me? I am ready to send you the original presentation slide. By the way, this company is now called DuPont Biotechnologies.
April 6, 2021
Dr. Fiodor S. Marchenkov ,, would not have the positive effect of the enzyme, related to the hydrolysis of the non-starch polysaccharides contained in the ingredients, with the production of oligosaccharides that would be substrate for intestinal flora favoring the composition of the microbiota. These oligosaccharides could be considered prebiotics. This response can occur in a diet containing soybean meal, whose polysaccharides have a negative effect on the animals' microbiota.
April 12, 2021
Juarez Donzele Dear Prof.Donzele, yes it is. But not only oligosaccarides. During NSP destruction, viscosity of feed becomes to be less, mixing process (with endogenous enzymes) is more intensive, the speed of chymus is increasing. It means less feed and less time for Salmonella sp.
print
(214)
(4)
Engormix reserves the right to delete and/or modify comments. See more details
Post a comment
Create new discussion :
If this discussion does not cover topics of interest or raises new questions, you can create another discussion.
Consult a professional in private:
If you have a specific problem you can perform a consultation privately to a professional in our community.
Fred Hoerr
Fred Hoerr
DVM, PhD, Diplomate ACVP, ACPV
  Nashville, Tennessee, United States

Copyright © 1999-2021 Engormix - All Rights Reserved