Explore
Communities in English
Advertise on Engormix

Research Examines the Role Dietary Calcium Plays in Necrotic Enteritis Development and Pathogenesis

Published: September 11, 2020
Summary
USPOULTRY and the USPOULTRY Foundation announce the completion of a funded research project at Texas A&M University in College Station, Texas, in which the role dietary calcium plays in necrotic enteritis (NE) development and pathogenesis was examined. The research was made possible in part by an endowing Foundation gift from the Sanderson Farms and is part of the Association’s comprehe...
Related topics
Authors:
Audrey McElroy
Texas A&M University
Follow
Influencers who recommended :
Maqsood Jaffery, Julián Melo
Join to be able to comment.
Once you join Engormix, you will be able to participate in all content and forums.
* Required information
Would you like to discuss another topic? Create a new post to engage with experts in the community.
Create a post
Luis Fernando Vergamini Luna
Opta Alimentos e Insumos
11 de septiembre de 2020
Great Subject Dr. McElroy, congratulations. I would recommend to check the whole microbiota, sometimes we put just C.Perfringens as guilt to NE but others are also important, I believe. Cordially, Luis
Audrey McElroy
Texas A&M University
6 de octubre de 2020
Luis Fernando Vergamini Luna I agree with you. We do have research in progress where we will be checking the whole profile. I do believe other bacteria are impacted as well.
Holy Zanu
University of New England
6 de octubre de 2020
I find this work very interesting. I have just published a series of papers on this same work in Poultry Science. The overall outcomes are similar to what I found in my work. Can we do something further to this?
Audrey McElroy
Texas A&M University
6 de octubre de 2020
Holy Zanu hello. Yes, we have been evaluating the effect of dietary Ca on NE occurrence for the last 10 years and have shown a direct impact of Ca level, source and limestone particle size on NE. It is a very interesting interaction!
Audrey McElroy
Texas A&M University
6 de octubre de 2020
Holy Zanu we would be interested in discussions about this!
Holy Zanu
University of New England
7 de octubre de 2020

Audrey McElroy Check out for a literature review we are publishing with World's Poultry Science Journal. We are now doing the proofreading. I have proposed possible research topics in there. I can be reached at holy_zanu@yahoo.com. Thanks.

Syed Farjad Zaidi
8 de octubre de 2020
Cheapest feed ingredient, highest anti nutritional effects.first calcium satiety ,now its role in neurotic enteritis. NRC suggest 1% ,CVB suggest 0.88%,AB vista experimented with 0.84 and 0.82% in BARC Thailand with no negative effect on performance. We are standing on cross road looking where to go. Comments from participants requested.
Julián Melo
Universidad Nacional de Lujan
9 de octubre de 2020

Hi Audrey, congratulations on the work done. I´ll be expecting your publication on WPSJ. Did you found a correlation with the pH of the litter? I read about that in french experiments and they showed the impact of the excess of calcium of the feces moving up the pH and this can change doing a reduction of Ca level on the diets.

Julián Melo
Universidad Nacional de Lujan
9 de octubre de 2020

Can you tell me the calcium and phosphorus levels of the diets?

Hanaa Sabah Solomon
Allied Nutrition (Pty) Ltd
19 de enero de 2021

This is very interesting Dr Audrey. I have seen 2 experiments on different calcium sources (Lithothamnion algae- Acid Buf compared to Limestone) at reducing levels of calcium in the diet. The experiments looked at the digestive tract health and pH. The Lithothamnion algae calcium source resulted in lower digestive tract pH and had a lower Acid binding capacity. Will you be looking into different calcium sources linking it into NE development in your future research?

Join Engormix and be part of the largest agribusiness social network in the world.
LoginRegister