Explore
Communities in English
Advertise on Engormix

Genetic Selection, management and Behavior. Prof. W. M. Muir (Purdue University)

Published: August 28, 2014
William M. Muir, Professor of Animal Sciences at Purdue University, speaks about new selection methods for layer performance and potential impacts on behavior and management.
Related topics
Authors:
William Muir
Purdue University (USA)
Follow
Join to be able to comment.
Once you join Engormix, you will be able to participate in all content and forums.
* Required information
Would you like to discuss another topic? Create a new post to engage with experts in the community.
Create a post
Stella Jane
7 de octubre de 2014

I have been using genetic selection with my satin rabbits for over 20 years.

Recently, I started a genetic selection process to increase the body size of my fantastic Amerauracana hen who produced 300 eggs a year for four years on pasture and sprouted grains. She is still alive in her fifth year, now only laying Spring and Fall. What I did was bring in a barnvelder Rooster then the next year crossed an Ameraucana rooster on six new Barnvelder pullets. The first birds crossed produced vigorous chicks on the ground without a hen at 20 days old. 40 degree night temperature in a protected unheated unlit pen. Some roosters that started breeding at four months. A few hens that layed eggs at 4.7 mos.

The combination of correctly selecting the heavy weight birds, and the lowered amount /cost of feed by sprouting the black oil sunflower, wheat and oats was calmer birds on 1/3 volume of feed.

Please my question about genetic selection: Do you have other varieties of chickens that you have done similar "out-crossings" and produced good results?

Appreciate knowing how to find the data, thank you. *J

Tarusenga Munyanyi
14 de noviembre de 2014
yes it increase heterosity and fast growing animals that leady to enough supply meat on the market reducing malnutrition in humans
Join Engormix and be part of the largest agribusiness social network in the world.
LoginRegister