The effects of wheat bran inclusion on piglet performance in the nursery and removal of pharmaceutical zinc

Published on: 09/14/2019
Author/s : Emma Suckling 1, Ian Wellock 1, Helen Miller 2, Phil Boyd 1 and Kayleigh Almond 1. / 1 Primary Diets, AB Agri Ltd, Ripon, North Yorkshire, UK; 2 The University of Leeds, Leeds, UK.

Background and objectives Wheat bran (WB) has been demonstrated to promote intestinal health and improve piglet performance (Molist et al. 2011 & 2012). One proposed mechanism for this effect is that WB inhibits the attachment of bacteria, specifically enterotoxigenic Escherichia coli (ETEC) K88, to the intestine (Gonzaláz-Ortiz et al. 2014) thereby reducing the risk of ETEC-K88 induc...

remove_red_eye 250 forum 9 bar_chart Statistics share print
Share :
close
david lim david lim
Director
September 14, 2019

What if I put in dry coconut testa instead of wheat bran? It is available in my area. Can anybody help or give me any suggestions?

Steffen Hansen Steffen Hansen
Animal Nutritionist
September 17, 2019
The proposed mechanism of action when supplementing wheat bran to weaner diets is most likely related to the content of NSPs. I suppose that the coconut testa has a considerable oil residue. Other than that I have no idea about the chemical composition. Do you know the content of NSPs, distribution of soluble and insoluble NSP in coconut testa?
david lim david lim
Director
September 18, 2019
The analysis of the dry coconut rind is : Ash - 8.08%; crude fat - 53.15%; crude fibre - 31.57%; crude protein 8%: dry matter - 97%; starch - 1.59%; sugar - 18%; NDF 9.87; ADF - 11%. The inclusion is 10% for baby pig feed, for average weaning weight 7kg. I feed them for 14 days. Under my observation, only 2% with some mild diarrhoea.
Animal Nutritionist
October 2, 2019
david lim, sorry for my late reply. Interesting observation. Have you made any trials with this ingredient? It would be interesting to compare 1. negative control (without high ZnO) 2. positive control (2500 ppm ZnO) and 3. negative control + 1% coconut testa.
david lim david lim
Director
October 2, 2019
I use 1.5kg zinc oxide and 6% coconut testa for the last 1 year. Under the observation, there is minimal diarrhoea, 2% maximum. I also use antibiotic, tiamulin 1kg in feed.
Animal Nutritionist
October 2, 2019
If you use both pharmacological level ZnO and tiamulin in the weaner diets, I would be surprised to see piglets with diarrhea.
david lim david lim
Director
October 3, 2019

Strangely with more than one year in using this combination, I am enjoying to see piglets hardly having more than 2% diarrhoea. The piglets grow extremely well with very encouraging results. How do you explain these combinations can trigger diarrhoea? Explaination is always highly appreciated. Thanks.

Animal Nutritionist
October 3, 2019
david lim I suppose you mean that 2% of the piglets are showing signs of diarrhea? If this is the case you have no problems at all. Not all types of diarrhea are caused by pathogens. Piglets can have osmotic diarrhea caused by an excess of various nutrients.
david lim david lim
Director
October 3, 2019

Steffen Hansen,
Thanks for the explanation. I make quite a high SID lysine of 1.55 for the weaner pigs together with NE of 2520 Kcal/kg. I really need to get the baby pigs strong enough to face all the challenges ahead. Thanks!

print
(250)
(9)
Engormix reserves the right to delete and/or modify comments. See more details
Post a comment
Create new discussion :
If this discussion does not cover topics of interest or raises new questions, you can create another discussion.
Consult a professional in private:
If you have a specific problem you can perform a consultation privately to a professional in our community.
Scott Webster
Scott Webster
Pork Industry Expert Advisor
  Madison, Wisconsin, United States

| 
Copyright © 1999-2021 Engormix - All Rights Reserved